PDA

View Full Version : Any info on this?

EvilKing00
10-02-2013, 06:47 PM
I recently won this auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-German-Sheet-of-Sports-Stars-Tattoo-Transfers-RARE-VFNM-Babe-Ruth-Ty-Cobb-/310755543533?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=jfekPB8tjI27q%252BeGYOLE6c64Wk4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have missed out about 5-6 times on individual german transfers of ruth (single)

I know (or think I know) its a 1923 Greman transfer. I have seen the ruth sell for WAY higher prices, as I was the under or way underbidder 5-6 times. That's all I know.

I would like to know if anyone here could give more info:

1 - What exactly are they? Stamps?
2 - Why are the letters reversed?
3 - What is the value? (im not selling just would like to have an idea)
4 - Was it only 1923 or was there a range or years they were made?
5 - Are they rare? Like I said I have seen 5-6 in the last year, so that's not to rare.
5 - And the question I have to ask ...cut or not to cut?? (no way im cutting, but would like to see others thoughts)
7 - any thing else would be greatly appreciated as I love to learn about the history of cards and items like this.

thanks in advance

Leon
10-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Not sure I can add a ton but you got a good deal. The year has always been set at 1923. I have seen some other sheets of them and consider them scarce but not rare. I wouldn't tear or cut them apart, I would leave them in sheet form. I have almost never cut or separated stamps or strip cards. Nice pickup..
..here is my sheet.....

pencil1974
10-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Seems to be a trend but I also won the exact same sheet on a second chance offer by the seller. (pic attached). You may want to contact them and I will do the same to make sure they are not trying to scam us both. (sorry for the low-res pic I just took a quick screen shot of it)

EvilKing00
10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
hmmm that's odd I will email them now....Just emailed him waiting for a response, let me know if you hear anything, this isn't good.

pencil1974
10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi Steve,

I emailed them as well so if I hear of anything I will pass along the info to you as well so we can get this sorted out. Seems a little bit fishy but maybe an honest mistake? Tons of feedback so its not like they shouldn't be honest and forthright.

Brad

Leon
10-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Seeing one person have several sheets for sale wouldn't necessarily make me raise an eyebrow on these.

pencil1974
10-03-2013, 02:17 PM
It is sort of strange that they are selling that exact sheet twice. That is major problem because no two sheets are alike.

Leon
10-03-2013, 02:21 PM
It is sort of strange that they are selling that exact sheet twice. That is major problem because no two sheets are alike.

I agree that using the same scan is not right. You are correct, no two will be the same. And I don't know, maybe there is an issue....I didn't realize it was the exact same sheet. That can't be good...

pencil1974
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Yep that exact same one as they came to me through eBay as I was the underbidder on this one gave me a second chance offer at my price. So there are some big red flags being raised on this. I emailed then but have not heard anything back as of yet.

pencil1974
10-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Here is the reply:

Hi Brad:

We had two of the sheets and eBay allows them to be sold as a second chance offer. We were going to ship yours tomorrow. If there is any problem, please let us know.

Regards,
Frank

My problem with this is exactly what I posted about. How can you do that if no two sheets are alike? I just asked for a photo of my sheet and if it looks bad then I'm going to cancel the transaction. Thats just not right.

EvilKing00
10-03-2013, 03:12 PM
just got my reply:

"We had another"

so I responded to that

Is the one in the scan the one im getting??

This isn't a good thing to do IMO - as im thinking and Brad is thinking we are getting the EXACT one from the scan. Even if both are similar its still not cool as one of us is buying an item we haven't even seen.

Leon
10-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Here is the reply:

Hi Brad:

We had two of the sheets and eBay allows them to be sold as a second chance offer. We were going to ship yours tomorrow. If there is any problem, please let us know.

Regards,
Frank

My problem with this is exactly what I posted about. How can you do that if no two sheets are alike? I just asked for a photo of my sheet and if it looks bad then I'm going to cancel the transaction. Thats just not right.

I agree completely....but on these sheets, from the several I have seen, they could be very, very similar. You might be ok, still....

nsaddict
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Too much paranoia here, you should be fine. How about giving the seller the benefit of doubt, did you check their feedback?? Perhaps to busy (or lazy) scanning the other sheet.

EvilKing00
10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7RAn0KOQKRk/T079MwqlwxI/AAAAAAAAC0k/iBU7a71EPtM/s1600/Paranoia_by_ecstazy93.jpg

10-03-2013, 03:43 PM
That depiction of Cobb always cracks me up! Is that The Georgia Peach or Hector Hammond?

pencil1974
10-03-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm just talking about the moral aspect of it as I would not think since I have two of the same card to fire off a second chance email to someone and say here you go here is the same card.

The problem I have is if I didn't see Steve's post I would have thought I was getting the sheet that I bought as it was never mentioned to me it was a different one. Anyway beating a dead horse here we'll see how it pans out.

EvilKing00
10-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Agree not cool,

Jantz
10-04-2013, 12:43 AM
2. Why are the letters reversed?

Going out on a limb here. The letters are reversed because they are tattoos and when they are applied the letters would then be legible. When you get the sheet, if the letters are reversed, turn the sheet over and look at it up to a light. ;)

Kinda like the tattoos that came in boxes of Cracker Jacks.

Jantz

EvilKing00
10-04-2013, 05:39 AM
2. Why are the letters reversed?

Going out on a limb here. The letters are reversed because they are tattoos and when they are applied the letters would then be legible. When you get the sheet, if the letters are reversed, turn the sheet over and look at it up to a light. ;)

Kinda like the tattoos that came in boxes of Cracker Jacks.

Jantz

that's what the seller has in the listed auction, I just never thought that was the case as I have never seen them listed that way. But it could be.

pencil1974
10-04-2013, 05:37 PM
So the guy seems legit he just had 10 sheets (you were right Leon) and so my ebay sheet is the second image (where I thought Ruth looked really nice and centered) and the first is another one I bought from him outside of ebay at what I thought was a great deal.

So hopefully alls well that ends will, I just wish it were handled a little bit differently. I know these are not high dollar items but anytime you are spending money you want to make sure you are getting what you paid for is all.