PDA

View Full Version : Stan Coveleski -The Inside Pitch

JimStinson
10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Was talking to a collector the other day and happened to mention something which I took for granted everyone knew.

Sometimes over time common knowledge just gets lost in the shuffle , so I'll post some examples here.

Stan Coveleski was a great pitcher in his day , Eventually inducted into the Hall of Fame. He was a great signer through the mail too but ever wonder why you rarely if ever see an "Inscription" ???? Rarer still a handwritten letter ??

Its because Stan Coveleski COULD NOT WRITE ! , He could sign his name but that's about it. Anything other than his name was written by his wife. I've seen Stan Coveleski handwritten letters offered for sale over the years but in almost all of the descriptions the seller forgets to mention or maybe does not know that the letters were written by Mrs Coveleski

Illustrated here are some examples which were obtained through the mail in 1980. They are written as in the 1st person but he didn't write them. Both the 3x5 card and note were penned by his wife. The other three items pictured here WERE signed by him. It should be obvious the handwritten notes and signatures were penned by two different people.

Also a long time collector who used to actually visit many of the old time players visited at the Coveleski home , He relayed the following to me. He had several items for Stan to sign which he gladly obliged , not knowing the facts mentioned above he asked Stan to "Inscribe" an item to him. He recalled at that point that Stan's wife said "Oh Oh". and the mood in the room changed abruptly , it was then they explained what I have pointed out above.

Likely he was self conscious about being unable to write and since most of the requests for his autograph came through the mail it was never an issue.

Always BUYING Vintage Baseball Autographs !
stinsonsports.com

mr2686
10-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Honestly Jim, that's the first time I've heard that. Kinda funny since I think his autograph is actually quite nice, unlike the few true examples of Joe Jackson.

dgo71
10-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I thought the same thing, a guy who can't write has a better signature than 90% of today's athletes. Great story, I also had never known this about Coveleski.

39special
10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Jim you have the best stories.Do you have any about Mr.Ed?

shelly
10-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Not sure if Jim knows but here is your answere.

The stars of the show were Mister Ed, a palomino horse who could "talk", played by gelding Bamboo Harvester and voiced by former Western star Allan Lane (who went uncredited for the entire length of the series)

39special
10-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Not sure if Jim knows but here is your answere.

The stars of the show were Mister Ed, a palomino horse who could "talk", played by gelding Bamboo Harvester and voiced by former Western star Allan Lane (who went uncredited for the entire length of the series)

Thanks Shelly.I was wondering if Jim knew his signing habits.He had mentioned
in another thread that Ed was a good TTM signer.

mr2686
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Actually I've heard both Mr. Ed and Francis the talking mule were both bad TTM signers.

JimStinson
10-01-2013, 05:08 PM

Different thread Wilbur...:cool:

Buying and Selling Vintage Autographs
stinsonsports.com

39special
10-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Different thread Wilbur...:cool:

Buying and Selling Vintage Autographs
stinsonsports.com

Sorry to get off track.Does anyone know of any other players that could only sign there names?

shelly
10-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Unlike Chetta he signed with his mouth for his full name and his hoof for just a quick signiture.

PhilNap
10-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Jim

Interesting stuff. I have had my eye out for a vintage playing days signature on an album page or cut or even a vintage fountain pen GPC. Do these even exist?

JimStinson
10-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Jim

Interesting stuff. I have had my eye out for a vintage playing days signature on an album page or cut or even a vintage fountain pen GPC. Do these even exist?

That is a really good question ! Stan lived to be 94 and it seems like everything I can recall ever seeing signed by him was later in his life , Maybe someone has an early example they can share

His brother Harry who also pitched in the major leagues & who died in 1950 , is a tougher autograph but was a prolific signer and I've seen early examples of his signature with elaborate inscriptions and he would often include his nickname "The Giant Killer"

Buying & Selling Vintage Baseball Autographs on my web site
stinsonsports.com

Leon
10-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for sharing Jim. The best way to promote a hobby is the way you do it. take care..

Baseball Fan
11-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Hello, sort of embarrassing to ask veteran collectors if a common HOF autograph is legit, but I just don't know anything about Stan's sig. This is JSA authenticated, but I trust you guys more.

Thanks.

GrayGhost
11-08-2017, 02:54 PM
:):):)

Baseball Fan
11-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Cool. Thank you, sir.

tazdmb
03-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Topping this old thread, but bought an interesting lot on eBay last night. Apparently, he could write. Postcard from 1914.

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x25/tazdmb/Autographs/Doubles/Stan_zpsymgx06x4.jpg (https://s184.photobucket.com/user/tazdmb/media/Autographs/Doubles/Stan_zpsymgx06x4.jpg.html)

Td8237
03-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Nice pickup. Great to see a thread that has previous posts by Jim Stinson. Miss his stories and the service to the autograph collector community.

packs
03-11-2019, 05:40 PM
That is a really good question ! Stan lived to be 94 and it seems like everything I can recall ever seeing signed by him was later in his life , Maybe someone has an early example they can share

His brother Harry who also pitched in the major leagues & who died in 1950 , is a tougher autograph but was a prolific signer and I've seen early examples of his signature with elaborate inscriptions and he would often include his nickname "The Giant Killer"

Buying & Selling Vintage Baseball Autographs on my web site
stinsonsports.com

Thought I'd add this interesting Coveleskie item to a great thread. Here's the Giant Killer:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4381/37157534502_cf0bc6e57e.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4406/36492412604_327d74e5f6.jpg