PDA

View Full Version : Info requested on Yuengling's cards

scooter729
09-30-2013, 01:30 PM
I was fortunate enough to pick up a nice lot of Yuengling's Ice Cream cards. I have a picture here of some of the lot - a nice group which was 2/3 of the set, plus tons of extra HOFers.

I know a bit about the set, but far from an expert, so a couple of questions for those who know more:

- Are the sizes on these cards typically all over the board? All of the cards in this group look to be factory cut with normal wear, but the sizes, both height and width, are all over the place. Some look smaller than normal, while others are much bigger. Is this typical for the set?

- There are two types of name variations on the fronts - name in a box vs. name not in box (see Schalk, 2nd row far left, for comparison). Does this correspond to the different ad types on the back (skooter ad vs. ending with 'Yuengling branch')? Is either one more scarce / valuable?

Thanks for the assistance!

Sean
09-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Sorry Scott, I don't know anything about them. But they look really cool. :)

Leon
09-30-2013, 04:43 PM
All of the F50 series (Tharps, Sweetman, Harringtons and Yuenglings) had different sizes as their cuts didn't have much quality control, from my experience. As for the box vs no box name, I guess they come in both as I have the Gehrig below without the box. I never really noticed that.....and changed my answer here...

scooter729
09-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks Leon - appreciate the info.

Would love to hear from anyone who might know more as to whether there is any difference in value / scarcity between the two different ad backs (which do seem to correspond to the box / no box variations on the name on the front).

rhettyeakley
09-30-2013, 08:42 PM
There are two versions of the Yuengling's as you have noted and the backs to correspond with the Scooter (box on front) vs No Scooter (no box on front) ad backs. From my experience the ones without box are tougher to find and are better looking cards (look more like the W502 and York Caramels). From a value perspective I have paid more on average for the no box versions and have seen the same when I sell as well but it is hard to say how much. Personally, I just think they are way cleaner looking that way so I'd probably pay 20-25% more.

Bored5000
09-30-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't know if people from outside this area (eastern Pennsylvania) saw this news, but Yuengling recently announced that their ice cream will be returning next year for the first time since 1985. The actual product itself will be produced by another local manufacturer -- Leiby's Premium Ice Cream of Tamaqua, Pa., and will carry the Yuengling's label.

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-09-24/news/mc-pa-yuengling-ice-cream-returns-20130924_1_ice-cream-dick-yuengling-yuengling-jr

scooter729
10-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks Rhett - appreciate the good info on these cards.

And always nice to hear the ice cream business is returning for Yuengling's!

tschock
10-01-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't know if people from outside this area (eastern Pennsylvania) saw this news, but Yuengling recently announced that their ice cream will be returning next year for the first time since 1985. The actual product itself will be produced by another local manufacturer -- Leiby's Premium Ice Cream of Tamaqua, Pa., and will carry the Yuengling's label.

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-09-24/news/mc-pa-yuengling-ice-cream-returns-20130924_1_ice-cream-dick-yuengling-yuengling-jr

That's GREAT news! Leiby's (the restaurant) has been closed for a while and am glad to see the ice cream will be made again.

FWIW, my dad worked for Leiby's (and then Guers) for most of his adult life. One of my fondest memories was going into the Leiby's ice cream feezer on Fridays (wearing one of the freezer parkas) just so I could pick out the flavor of ice cream (or 2) that we were bringing home for the week.

Maybe they'll start making cards again? :)

tschock
10-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks Rhett - appreciate the good info on these cards.

And always nice to hear the ice cream business is returning for Yuengling's!

PM sent regarding your dupes.

Bored5000
10-01-2013, 09:48 PM
That's GREAT news! Leiby's (the restaurant) has been closed for a while and am glad to see the ice cream will be made again.

FWIW, my dad worked for Leiby's (and then Guers) for most of his adult life. One of my fondest memories was going into the Leiby's ice cream feezer on Fridays (wearing one of the freezer parkas) just so I could pick out the flavor of ice cream (or 2) that we were bringing home for the week.

Maybe they'll start making cards again? :)

I read several different articles in recent weeks about the return of Yuengling's ice cream. This is somewhat unrelated, but one of the things I read that absolutely shocked me was that Dick Yuengling is one of the 400 richest men in America. I know there is a lot "old money" in nearly 200 years of brewing, but I never would have guessed Yuengling was that wealthy.

Forbes currently has him as the 371st richest man in America, with a net worth of $1.4 billion. A person could definitely live rather well on a billion dollars in Pottsville. ;)

http://www.forbes.com/profile/richard-yuengling-jr/

Leon
10-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Yuengling's is a great story. I like the miscut cards too.....

MikeGarcia
08-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I read several different articles in recent weeks about the return of Yuengling's ice cream. This is somewhat unrelated, but one of the things I read that absolutely shocked me was that Dick Yuengling is one of the 400 richest men in America. I know there is a lot "old money" in nearly 200 years of brewing, but I never would have guessed Yuengling was that wealthy.

Forbes currently has him as the 371st richest man in America, with a net worth of $1.4 billion. A person could definitely live rather well on a billion dollars in Pottsville. ;)

http://www.forbes.com/profile/richard-yuengling-jr/
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/YUENGLING_NEW.JPG

....The Hill School in Pottstown Pennsylvania has always been part of the Who's Who of old money in America , even during the depression and prohibition. I was lucky to come across this photo but I'm not sure where '' 'Swede' Yuengling Pottsville's Pride'' fits onto the family tree ; looks like late 20's or so...I live exactly halfway between Pottsville and Pottstown and spend time in both. Great beer by the way.

Enfuego
08-02-2014, 06:56 AM
I was fortunate enough to pick up a nice lot of Yuengling's Ice Cream cards. I have a picture here of some of the lot - a nice group which was 2/3 of the set, plus tons of extra HOFers.

I know a bit about the set, but far from an expert, so a couple of questions for those who know more:

- Are the sizes on these cards typically all over the board? All of the cards in this group look to be factory cut with normal wear, but the sizes, both height and width, are all over the place. Some look smaller than normal, while others are much bigger. Is this typical for the set?

- There are two types of name variations on the fronts - name in a box vs. name not in box (see Schalk, 2nd row far left, for comparison). Does this correspond to the different ad types on the back (skooter ad vs. ending with 'Yuengling
branch')? Is either one more scarce / valuable?

Thanks for the assistance!

PM sent