PDA

View Full Version : T210...To Chase or Not to Chase...

Bocabirdman
09-29-2013, 06:12 AM
I have been eyeballing this set for a while. Until recently, I only had one sad example with more creased areas than not. In the last couple of weeks I have picked up these four. I am still on the fence. The red border chipping reminds me of the 1971 Black Borders or even the wood grained 1962. I guess the difference is that the T210 are 100-plus years old. I can look past a little chipping, maybe. What say y'all? (youz guys? :D) Is this set worthy of a chase? Here are the four I have grabbed.....Show yours if you got some:)

seablaster
09-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi Mike. I too am a fan of the set, but completing it would be a daunting task. The Shoeless Joe and Casey Stengel cards would set you back over $100K and some cards just never seem to show up. There are a few brave souls out there attempting it. I would suggest trying to collect a few teams sets that you have some association with or try going after one of the easier series first to gauge your interest.

One of my favorites:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee76/seablaster/T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeWV6BQ-LGweRUQ60_3_zpsf5e004c6.jpg

Bocabirdman
09-29-2013, 06:28 AM
Hi Mike. I too am a fan of the set, but completing it would be a daunting task. The Shoeless Joe and Casey Stengel cards would set you back over $100K and some cards just never seem to show up. There are a few brave souls out there attempting it. I would suggest trying to collect a few teams sets that you have some association with or try going after one of the easier series first to gauge your interest.

One of my favorites:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee76/seablaster/T2eC16FHJGoE9nuQeWV6BQ-LGweRUQ60_3_zpsf5e004c6.jpg

Thanks for responding. Yes, I know that Casey and Shoeless Joe are not realistically in the picture. I am not sure I could drop six figures on a card even if I could afford to.:D. Like the T206 set, with its big four, I guess the T210 set could considered done with out those two. The fact that some guys rarely show up is kinda why we collect isn't it? If it was easy, everybody would do it:D:eek::)

seablaster
09-29-2013, 06:40 AM
The fact that some guys rarely show up is kinda why we collect isn't it? If it was easy, everybody would do it:D:eek::)

Don't say I didn't warn you... ;)

Be sure to check out some of the past threads on this set as there is a lot of useful information in them. Nothing against T206, but T210 has much more interesting poses in it. It is also nice trying to dig up information on the players, which isn't as readily available because they were all minor leaguers. It would've been great if Jim Thorpe had been included.

I know Jason and tbob are working on the minor league monster; hopefully they'll chime in. With the sheer number of cards and finances required, I can't really see legitimately pursuing this set and having a lot of other card issues to focus on. That's how it would be for me at any rate.

Bocabirdman
09-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Don't say I didn't warn you... ;)

Be sure to check out some of the past threads on this set as there is a lot of useful information in them. Nothing against T206, but T210 has much more interesting poses in it. It is also nice trying to dig up information on the players, which isn't as readily available because they were all minor leaguers. It would've been great if Jim Thorpe had been included.

I know Jason and tbob are working on the minor league monster; hopefully they'll chime in. With the sheer number of cards and finances required, I can't really see legitimately pursuing this set and having a lot of other card issues to focus on. That's how it would be for me at any rate.

I am fearless. I am chasing the Monster but I have reached the deep end of the pool. The cards I need are less frequently available and most are north of Ben Franklin. I NEED to collect. I started and now I am in it. I am playing around with others sets, the Obaks and T207 to name two. They are cool but I think the Red Borders are just as cool. And hey I have five, right? I might as well push on......:D

ullmandds
09-29-2013, 07:36 AM
And keep in mind that collectors like TBOB...have already completed most mainstream sets in existence...so it's a logical progression...t210 is beyond monsterous...it's armageddon!

Leon
09-29-2013, 07:40 AM
I am not a set collector but T210 would be a neat one. There are so many ways to collect it, it seems everyone could. Maybe one series at a time? Some of the poses are awesome. And Shoeless Joe and Stengel are certainly no worse than Wags and Plank, cost wise. Without those 2 most collectors could give it a go financially. Or you could collect one from each set and then a few cool ones too....

Bocabirdman
09-29-2013, 08:38 AM
I am not a set collector but T210 would be a neat one. There are so many ways to collect it, it seems everyone could. Maybe one series at a time? Some of the poses are awesome. And Shoeless Joe and Stengel are certainly no worse than Wags and Plank, cost wise. Without those 2 most collectors could give it a go financially. Or you could collect one from each set and then a few cool ones too....

I think that I am going to give it a go. What the heck! The set is cool. The affordable cards will keep me busy for a good long while.:)

Jason
09-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Go for it! And if you ever decide to go another way I'm a buyer for your Richmond Colt Red Borders!