PDA

View Full Version : PSA Card Grading Process Revealed

Paulanthony
09-27-2013, 01:32 PM
My thoughts on the article. Sometimes giving no information is the best information, This is a classic example of giving to much information.

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/5054/taking-my-hacks-card-grading-and-urban-legend

Over the years, 16 to be exact, there have been many theories offered about the PSA grading process. While it is pure speculation in most cases, some of those theories have become Urban Legend in the hobby. Most of the time, the rumors are honest misunderstandings about the process.

Here are the five biggest misunderstandings about the PSA card grading process.

1) Graders Measure Each and Every Card With a Ruler - False
When a card is evaluated by a grader, they may or may not choose to physically measure the card. Many people are under the false impression that locating evidence of trimming, for example, is a simple product of measurement and nothing could be further from the truth. Graders will measure the card if they think the card needs to actually be measured. Their eyes, due to their experience, are much more crucial than a ruler.

2) Graders Consider the Population Report or the Marketplace When Grading - False
This is a conspiracy theorist favorite. The people who believe this statement think that if a card is scarce in a particular grade or hot in the marketplace that the graders will be extra tough on it. The graders consider one thing and one thing only when grading the card - the card!

3) From Time to Time, Graders are Ordered to be "Looser" or "Tighter" in Company Meetings - False
I hear this one a lot. We do not have meetings where I or anyone else asks the graders to loosen up or tighten up on the grading line. We do meet about grading and discuss particular grading issues but never and I repeat - NEVER - do we instruct the graders to do such a thing. The grading process works best if they have autonomy.

4) Graders Use Magnifying Glasses or Loupes to Grade Every Card - False
Do graders utilize these tools to assist in grading when they feel the need to use them? Of course, but the vast majority of cards are graded with the naked eye. Yes, I said it - the naked eye. In order to be a full-time grader, you need to have an extraordinary eye and these tools can, at times, distort aspects of the card.

5) Graders are Heartless Robot Minions Who Have Been Sent from the Future to Kill Your Submissions and Sarah Connor - Partially True - Kidding
Alright, this one was just thrown in for kicks but the point here is that the graders approach their job with neutrality. They are not trying to help or harm anyone like The Terminator; they have to focus on the characteristics of the cards. If they can justify 100 PSA 10's out of 100 cards, they will. There's no rationing of grades based on the overall outcome of an order or anything of that nature that occurs. They just grade the cards, for better or worse, as they see them.

I hope this clears up some of the misunderstandings that exist in the graded card marketplace and helps put to rest some of the urban legends that still roam the hobby. For a more detailed breakdown of the grading process, please visit our website at www.psacard.com for our grading video demonstration.
Never Get Cheated,

ScottFandango
09-27-2013, 02:09 PM
old news...nothing new to report here

Leon
09-27-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't think Joe O gave too much information. I think he is being truthful. I applaud that and the transparency of his article. Maybe it's not what some conspiracy theory folks want to believe but it is what it is.

lharri3600
09-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Oh Ok,
Now I understand why a card that comes back to me as trimmed, then is resubmitted and gets a number grade. Thanks so much for clearing things up for me.:confused:

RobertGT
09-27-2013, 04:14 PM
I am not a PSA apologist, but the process he explained makes sense from a common sense standpoint. You do not need tons of tools (loupes, rulers) etc. to grade ALL cards, but you need them to grade SOME.

A ruler will not tell you if a card has been trimmed. I have seen several cards that measure perfectly to card specs but are obviously trimmed.

Ejm1
09-27-2013, 08:12 PM
I have two eyeballs that are in working order so that means I'm qualified. What the are we paying these guys to do?

tbob
09-27-2013, 08:52 PM
All I know is that I am still waiting on my graded 1962 Topps sealed pack to come back from PSA which I gave them at the National. Going on two months in a few days....

Paulanthony
09-27-2013, 08:58 PM
I am not a PSA apologist, but the process he explained makes sense from a common sense standpoint. You do not need tons of tools (loupes, rulers) etc. to grade ALL cards, but you need them to grade SOME.

A ruler will not tell you if a card has been trimmed. I have seen several cards that measure perfectly to card specs but are obviously trimmed.

The grading service is being conducted using no tools or a mathamatical formula which gives the graders the open discretion to be subjective.
The grader is determining the condition of the card using Subjective opinions, based on his experience. He then determines the grade based on his interpretations. This is a double standard. PSA's concept of third-party grading. ensures the accuracy of the grade assigned based on a 10 point grading scale. If a grade is being assigned and the process does not consist using basic tools, ruler, magnifing glass or a mathamatical formula then how can anyone make an assessment and claim a 10 point grading scale was used.
This is a ( catch 22) a problematic situation and a contradicition of grading policy that effects the opposite of what was intended

RobertGT
09-27-2013, 09:23 PM
The grading service is being conducted using no tools or a mathamatical formula which gives the graders the open discretion to be subjective.
The grader is determining the condition of the card using Subjective opinions, based on his experience. He then determines the grade based on his interpretations. This is a double standard. PSA's concept of third-party grading. ensures the accuracy of the grade assigned based on a 10 point grading scale. If a grade is being assigned and the process does not consist using basic tools, ruler, magnifing glass or a mathamatical formula then how can anyone make an assessment and claim a 10 point grading scale was used.
This is a ( catch 22) a problematic situation and a contradicition of grading policy that effects the opposite of what was intended

So you are saying- without a set of algebraic equations and stainless steel calipers - you cannot determine whether a raw card right in front of you is a 5 or an 8?

t206fix
09-27-2013, 10:13 PM
the graders don't need a ruler or magnifying glass to see the $50 bill taped to the back of the previously graded PSA 7 card I just submitted in order to bump it to a PSA 9.

Great news!

Fred
09-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Bottom line - Grading is still SUBJECTIVE....

How the heck can anyone expect to see consistency in grading if people are to rely on the "naked eye". We've seen enough examples of paper loss being missed and other issues not caught during grading.

I've seen enough PSA graded cards graded with an OC qualifier that had better centering than cards without the OC qualifier. Oh, that's right, it's the "naked eye" thing.

The numerical grading system is bull $hit. I still think it's funny that there are people that care more about a numerical grade assigned to a card than they actually care about the card.

I see a good purpose for TPG companies but assigning numerical grades shouldn't be a part of it. The label should indicate AUTH (authentic) and if the card was altered then place that information (ALT) on the label and let the purchaser figure out the rest. If the TPG companies did this then nobody would be bashing them for the mistakes they're being paid not to make.

ullmandds
09-29-2013, 07:10 AM
This is about as "revealing" as the Joey P thread!

frankbmd
09-29-2013, 07:22 AM
The half grades recently employed by PSA required the purchase of a new grading wheel. Accurate division by two (2) is required to determine the grade.:D

ullmandds
09-29-2013, 07:23 AM
frank...does this mean psa has changed their scale...to include "11" for those really really "loud" cards!?!?!??!

frankbmd
09-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Peter,

You are not a PSA grader.

11 divided by 2 = 5.5 EX+

We are forwarding your application to CSA.:eek:

And before anyone asks,

1 divided by 2 = Authentic

3-2-count
09-29-2013, 07:39 AM
"The numerical grading system is bull $hit. I still think it's funny that there are people that care more about a numerical grade assigned to a card than they actually care about the card.

I see a good purpose for TPG companies but assigning numerical grades shouldn't be a part of it. The label should indicate AUTH (authentic) and if the card was altered then place that information (ALT) on the label and let the purchaser figure out the rest".

Smartest thing stated in this thread yet. Well said Fred!!

glchen
09-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Bottom line - Grading is still SUBJECTIVE....

Do people even know what subjective vs objective mean? TPGs are obviously human like referees but they are a neutral third party between the buyer and seller.

Exhibitman
09-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Pete, only Chuck Norris's cards are 11's...

Bocabirdman
09-29-2013, 03:56 PM
I always thought that the "P" in PSA stood for Punxsutawny. I figured grading is what Phil does the rest of the year. I mean, is it a coincidence that they don't accept submissions on Feb 2?:D

Bocabirdman
09-29-2013, 03:58 PM
I always thought that the "P" in PSA stood for Punxsutawny. I figured grading is what Phil does the rest of the year. Do they accept submissions on February 2nd?:D

Tao_Moko
09-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Good on PSA for finding a way to capatilize on the hobby. However, these statements only add validity to the "Authentic" or "Altered" concept.

Also, I would prefer an objective grader anyday. My 3 year old can subjectively grade a card.

frankbmd
09-29-2013, 04:50 PM
My 3 year old can subjectively grade a card.

How much does he charge?

Tao_Moko
09-29-2013, 05:25 PM
How much does he charge?

Free as long as you don't sue me. Guaranteed to be returned in beater shape after he handles it.

toledo_mudhen
09-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Pete, only Chuck Norris's cards are 11's...

Chuck Norris will kick your ass...........

HOF Auto Rookies
09-30-2013, 09:21 AM
simple solution, if you simply don't like it, then don't buy or use TPA's

Bocabirdman
09-30-2013, 10:18 AM
simple solution, if you simply don't like it, then don't buy or use TPA's

That is a perfectly logical solution. It doesn't, however, lend itself to endless debate. What fun is that?

ullmandds
09-30-2013, 10:35 AM
it's almost impossible in this day and age...to not "use" a TPG in some way shape or form...whether it be buying a card that has been graded...or for resale...as in many cases you'd be loving mucho danero on the table.

HOF Auto Rookies
09-30-2013, 10:49 AM
it's almost impossible in this day and age...to not "use" a TPG in some way shape or form...whether it be buying a card that has been graded...or for resale...as in many cases you'd be loving mucho danero on the table.

true, but like what others have said thousands of times, buy the card not the grade, then it shouldn't be an issue