PDA

View Full Version : Ed Walsh @ Jack Chesbro, why only 1 T206 pose?

CMIZ5290
09-26-2013, 07:03 AM
I have always been curious about this as both of these guys were dominant pitchers well before the T206s came out. Does anyone have ideas or thoughts? There are a lot of ordinary players that have up to 3 different poses (Lake, Ames, McIntyre come to mind).....

z28jd
09-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Chesbro barely played in 1909, his last season, and he was not good at all. He seems pretty easy to explain.

Walsh was upset about the blue Old Mill back they used for him, so he had the card pulled and wouldn't allow them to use another pose

CMIZ5290
09-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Chesbro barely played in 1909, his last season, and he was not good at all. He seems pretty easy to explain.

Walsh was upset about the blue Old Mill back they used for him, so he had the card pulled and wouldn't allow them to use another pose

quite witty....

wolf441
09-26-2013, 07:42 AM
I have always been curious about this as both of these guys were dominant pitchers well before the T206s came out. Does anyone have ideas or thoughts? There are a lot of ordinary players that have up to 3 different poses (Lake, Ames, McIntyre come to mind).....

I've thought the same thing, as well as Tris Speaker (I know it was early in his career). Plus some other players that should have been included:

Jack Coombs
Hippo Vaughn
Larry Gardner
Duffy Lewis
Harry Hooper
Smoky Joe Wood
Babe Adams
Jake Daubert
Slim Sallee

We know of the Eddie Collins Batting proof. I wonder how many more were proofs existed? Imagine a Joe Jackson SL'er or a Grover Cleveland Alexander!! :eek:

frankbmd
09-26-2013, 08:19 AM

Just for clarification the three McIntyre cards represent two McIntyres, one from Connecticut and one from Ohio, one of whom's names is spelled McIntire in Baseball Reference.

This post will undoubtedly cause a surge in the value of Harry's two cards since the misspelling will be considered a "freak" variation by some.:eek:

Walsh and Chesbro, with their 40 win seasons and relatively short careers (neither won 200 games), had careers similar to Denny McLain who will always be remembered for his 30 win season. All three crossed artificial numerical thresholds in a single season that were noteworthy at the time of the achievement. Going from 38 to 39 means little, but going from 39 to 40 opens a few eyes. Currently pitch counts and five man rotations are all but eliminating the 20 game winner.

Personally I've always thought the Face's 18 win season out the bullpen was a threshold that should get more attention, but 18 just doesn't have the numerical punch that 20 does. Sorry Elroy.

atx840
09-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Chase was the bomb.

Bocabirdman
09-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Just for clarification the three McIntyre cards represent two McIntyres, one from Connecticut and one from Ohio, one of whom's names is spelled McIntire in Baseball Reference.

This post will undoubtedly cause a surge in the value of Harry's two cards since the misspelling will be considered a "freak" variation by some.:eek:

Walsh and Chesbro, with their 40 win seasons and relatively short careers (neither won 200 games), had careers similar to Denny McLain who will always be remembered for his 30 win season. All three crossed artificial numerical thresholds in a single season that were noteworthy at the time of the achievement. Going from 38 to 39 means little, but going from 39 to 40 opens a few eyes. Currently pitch counts and five man rotations are all but eliminating the 20 game winner.

Personally I've always thought the Face's 18 win season out the bullpen was a threshold that should get more attention, but 18 just doesn't have the numerical punch that 20 does. Sorry Elroy.
Come on now Frank. How much more tribute do you need? The Jetsons named their male heir after Mr. Face. Of course, they also named their dog after artificial turf.......:D

t206blogcom
09-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Love it! :D

the 'stache
09-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Imagine a Joe Jackson SL'er or a Grover Cleveland Alexander!! :eek:

:( ya.

Chase was the bomb.

Yes, he was. I find him to be one of the most fascinating persons to appear in the set.