PDA

View Full Version : Losing a No-No

stlcardsfan
09-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Did you all see Michael Wacha last night? That is about as close as you can come to throwing a no-hitter. A soft chop barely over his glove that the SS bare hands and throws barely wide. I would think that has to rate as one of the closest no-nos without actually getting it.

What other close calls come to mind?

steve B
09-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Well, there's the group of no hitters where the pitcher lost the game and eventually the no hitter when MLB changed the rules and retroactively wiped them all out. Along with the handful of rain shortened and otherwise odd games.

Steve B

novakjr
09-25-2013, 10:04 AM
I think the galarraga perfect game is about as close as u can get, without officially getting credit for one. The umpire acknowledged after the fact that it was a pg. The state of Michigan passed something that says they officially recognize it as one. Mlb is the only one that doesn't. Or haddix's 12? Inning perfect game that no longer counts.

pgellis
09-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Wacha's is actually the 3rd time that has happened this year.

Texas' Yu Darvish lost a perfect game with two outs in the ninth inning against Houston on April 2 and San Francisco's Yusmeiro Petit had his try at perfection end one out shy against Arizona on Sept 6.

Cardboard Junkie
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Dang! Why did you have to mention Haddix, I'm gonna be shaking my head all day now.:(

barrysloate
09-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Around 2001, Mike Mussina retired the first 26 batters and had two strikes on the 27th, before giving up a single.

stlcardsfan
10-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Wacha is at it again!!!!

barrysloate
10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Home run Alvarez.:o

Runscott
10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
The state of Michigan passed something that says they officially recognize it as one. Mlb is the only one that doesn't.

That's very cool - this way he'll have an 'official' no-hitter and probably something to frame on his wall, even if it isn't from MLB. Besides, MLB recognizes Barry Bonds as being the HR leader, put an asterisk next to Maris' HR record, etc, etc, so I'm not sure everyone really cares what they put in their books, anyway. I certainly don't.

novakjr
10-09-2013, 02:42 PM
That's very cool - this way he'll have an 'official' no-hitter and probably something to frame on his wall, even if it isn't from MLB. Besides, MLB recognizes Barry Bonds as being the HR leader, put an asterisk next to Maris' HR record, etc, etc, so I'm not sure everyone really cares what they put in their books, anyway. I certainly don't.

Here's a link to it on the Michigan Legislative website.. House Resolution 0294

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28gab1tb55ehhvqu45umvejmyg%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2010-HR-0294