PDA

View Full Version : Article on Rare Brooklyn Dodger autograph

Boccabella
09-24-2013, 06:20 PM
A great story written by Jim Stinson on Sports Collectors Daily about the incredible scarcity of Clancy Smyres autographs and the mystery surrounding it all:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/the-strange-saga-of-clancy-smyres-and-why-his-autograph-is-more-valuable-than-babe-ruth/

Enjoy.

dgo71
09-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Jim, I wish you'd asked him why one of those times you called. Truly unbelievable story, I wonder what would keep a man from signing anything for anyone even for big bucks.

stat192
09-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Jim, Great article. I was offered a Smyres on a team signed minor league baseball about 2 years ago, and I turned it down because I wanted him on flat item. Boy do I regret that now. What about 1944 Dodger Charlie Osgood, how tough is he?

JimStinson
09-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Derek,
I never could keep him on the phone long enough to find out why, and looks like he must have left strict instructions with his family members because since his death they have refused to sell anything signed by him.

Giovanni
Charles Osgood was a lot like Smyres in that he refused autograph requests , Nick Polly was the same way. They could both be downright NASTY at times

BUT ....both Osgood and Polly could sometimes be "tricked" into signing by sending a letter or a parcel certified mail restricted delivery and they would sign for it to see what it was

Smyres on the other hand could NOT be tricked

Buying and Selling Vintage autographs
stinsonsports.com

Tom Hufford
09-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Back in the days when my bank would return my cancelled checks to me, I would sometimes just send a tough signer a check made out to him with a note like "Dear Mr. Jones, I would like very much to have your autograph for my collection - if you would be kind enough to endorse this check and cash it, when the check comes back to me, I'll appreciate having your autograph." That's not exactly what I did with Clancy Smyres.

Somewhere I found the information that the reason he was able to play during WWII and wasn't in the military, was that he only had one kidney, or at least had kidney problems. So, I sent him a check made out to "Clarence M. Smyres - American Kidney Fund", along with a donation letter to the AKF saying I'd like to make a contribution in honor of his birthday and a stamped address envelope for him to forward the check to the AKF. So, I thought he'd appreciate the gesture, sign the check and send it on. But, no cancelled check ever came back to me.

I know that Smyres was active as a little league coach with a team sponsored by his LDS church in California. And I have been told that he was rather humble and took the attitude that he never did anything worthy of being asked for an autograph, and that he didn't do anything that anyone else couldn't do. So, I wasn't really surprised that he didn't respond to autograph requests - but I'm surprised to hear that he was unpleasant on the phone, without explaining why he didn't want to accept your offer, Jim.

Smyres' grandson (or maybe it was a nephew) was an infielder in the Padres system 2003-04 - and he didn't mind signing autographs. He knew about Clancy's dislike of autograph requests, but didn't know the reason for it.

That being said, there are a few Smyres signatures out there, mostly signed during his minor league playing days. So if you want one and ever see one, better grab it.

Bored5000
09-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Fascinating article, Mr. Stinson. I had never heard of Clancy Smyres before, but I am always intrigued to learn about some of the obscure, yet nearly impossible, autographs in the hobby.