PDA

View Full Version : Any 80's Fleer Proof collectors on the forum?

Gmrson
09-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Anyone out there?

paul
09-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm looking for the 1982 unissued proof of Seaver. I don't own any Fleer proofs.

Gmrson
09-23-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm looking for the 1982 unissued proof of Seaver. I don't own any Fleer proofs.

That's a tough one! I believe he is on a loaded sheet with Garvey and some others. When I had a "find" of sheets that was the only sheet that I didn't have 2 or more of.

Have you seen a picture of that one?

Bob Lemke
09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
We had a picture of the Seaver and some other circa 1982 Fleer proofs in Baseball Cards magazine years ago, but I no longer have access to the back issues.

Gmrson
09-23-2013, 04:09 PM
We had a picture of the Seaver and some other circa 1982 Fleer proofs in Baseball Cards magazine years ago, but I no longer have access to the back issues.

Those were some great articles! Began my one-time obsession with proofs as well as giving me the knowledge to realize that the sheets other collectors were looking at as just blank backs were something really special.

shoeheart
03-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Yes, I have a large group of 1982 fleer proof cards and sheets. There will be a group of 10 progressive proofs of the Garvey sheet in the upcoming REA Spring Auction starting next month. If you want to discuss this and other unissued proofs, feel free to contact me at shoeheart@aol.com. Chris

jp1216
03-14-2014, 06:04 PM
1989 Fleer! Have a few Ripken FFs, always looking!

toppcat
03-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Do you recall roughly when Bob? I have all the back issues through May 1990 and will post scans; went thru the first dozen quickly and did not see the 82 Fleer proofs.

Matthew80
03-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Just curious, how'd you get into something as specialized as 80s Fleer proof?

mrmopar
08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Did that happen? I can't find any mention of the proof on a google search. I think the OP mentioned the Garvey to me and may have even provided a less than desirable photo (but that was all he had). That is one Garvey item that I wouldn't mind adding if it ever came up and didn't cost me a mortgage payment!!

Yes, I have a large group of 1982 fleer proof cards and sheets. There will be a group of 10 progressive proofs of the Garvey sheet in the upcoming REA Spring Auction starting next month. If you want to discuss this and other unissued proofs, feel free to contact me at shoeheart@aol.com. Chris

Gmrson
09-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Did that happen? I can't find any mention of the proof on a google search. I think the OP mentioned the Garvey to me and may have even provided a less than desirable photo (but that was all he had). That is one Garvey item that I wouldn't mind adding if it ever came up and didn't cost me a mortgage payment!!

I looked at this and while these were progressive proofs, it was the issued Garvey pose, not the rarer fielding version.

craigpw
09-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Interested in learning of different 1983 Fleer proofs

Gmrson
09-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Let me dig out my notes and I'll let you know. I'm thinking there was at least 1 unissued card and only a few proof variaitions. Seems Fleer was getting a little better by 1983.

Gmrson
09-10-2014, 10:43 AM
There is an interesting proof sheet on Ebay with a rare proof that is not even mentioned in the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Fleer-Uncut-Sheet-PROOF-w-RARE-Littlefield-Error-/120531202562?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c10383202

The has been higher, but the price is reduced to $500 now. Collectors from that set are familiar with the Darrell Jackson Black Hat/Red Hat(multiple) variations. Darrell Jackson card on this sheet pictures a white player. That photo was corrected before release.

I would guess that they switched the photo and realized the real Jackson's cap didn't match the other Twins?

The Willie Wilson card may be different as well but I would have to confirm that.

Gmrson
09-18-2014, 10:47 AM
The Willie Wilson card may be different as well but I would have to confirm that.

The Willie Wilson card on the Ebay sheet is a proof variation. The issued card has Willie being interviewed with the microphone visable. There are no other proofs on the missing panels (Bottom B sheet)

Here you go...only 3 different, with the sheet they were on listed as well.

Card #307 Richie Hebner (Bottom B sheet) - Proof lists position as Third Base; Issued card read Third Base.OF

Card #470 Larry Anderson (Bottom E sheet) - Proof pictures another player (Jim Anderson?); Issued card has correct photo.

Card #622 John Pacella (Top C sheet) - Proof picure is front view photo to the waist; Issued card photo is side view to the knees.