PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any good engineering colleges?

wazoo
09-21-2013, 09:45 AM
So I'm at that point in my life where I need to start looking at colleges. I want to be some sort of engineer, not completely what type yet though. Anyone know any good schools? Particularly on the East Coast? Thanks guys!

vintagetoppsguy
09-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Texas A&M

nolemmings
09-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

wazoo
09-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Hear any good reviews about WPI or RPI?

wazoo
09-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Oh I wish. Maybe one day!

Jlighter
09-22-2013, 01:21 AM
To list a few.

Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech and University of Maryland.

Bestdj777
09-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Hey Wazoo,

I believe US News & World Report still ranks engineering programs (I may be wrong). You should look in to them. And don't be afraid to try for places you wouldn't think you'd have a shot at. I ended up getting into my reach graduate school because I took a chance on it.

When you start the essay process, please feel free to message me if you want a second set of eyes on it. I'd be happy to help you edit it and clean it up in any way I can.

Good luck! I always regretted not going the engineering route--did math instead.

Chris

wazoo
09-22-2013, 10:52 AM
I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you! And I will message you! Best regards.

steve B
09-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Don't write off schools that may not have the big reputation for engineering in general. There are usually some with excellent programs in a particular area but not much in others.

That will depend on what sort of engineering you like. Even computer science can be excellent. (The software people are called engineers, but usually took compsci)

Steve B

timzcardz
09-23-2013, 08:45 AM
I know a bit about the northeast, as I'm a Professional Engineer (civil/ structural) and been at this for 30+ years.

I graduated from Clarkson College (Now Clarkson University) in Potsdam, NY, and can recommend it. It was a greaet place to go to school, and has great engineering programs. Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical One of the professors that I had, later worked for me while on sababticl to gain some applicable real-life experince.

RPI in Renssalear, NY is similar, and always a Clarkson rival in hockey.

SUNY Buffalo, has a good Civil prgram, ad I have had a professor from there work on a project with us. Not familiar with their other disciplines.

Cooper Union, NY, NY. I know they have Civil (I've had graduates work with me) and Chemical (my nephew is a senior). Top notch school, and until very recently if you were accepted, tuition was free. That changed in the last year, but still a very great deal at a great school.

Manhattan College, Bronx, NY. Their Civil Engineering program has been recognized as producing very good engineers.

Rutgers University, NJ. I know they have agood Civil program and professors from there have worked on project with us.

Lehigh University, PA, has a great Civil Engineering program.

Northeastern University, Boston, MA.

MIT, already mentioned in prior posts.

I have worked with engineers from all of these, and you probably can't go wrong at any of them.

Whatever school that you end up attending, make sure that they are ABET (http://www.abet.org/accreditation/) accredited in the discipline that you pursue. This is important towards getting your professional licensure.

FYI, My nephew was accepted at both MIT and Cooper Union, and after speaking to a graduate of Cooper Union that used to work for me, selected Cooper Union. Two big things, saving over $100K in tuition, and if he decided to go to graduate school, MIT only accpets students from other schools, so if you went undergrad to MIT, then that was no longer a choice for grad school.

Good Luck!

CardTarget
09-26-2013, 08:38 AM
If you don't know what type of engineer you want to be, somewhere like Virginia Tech / Georgia Tech is likely the best place. They'll give you a good engineering background in the first year or two and then you can decide and finish out the major you want.

majordanby
09-27-2013, 08:55 AM
i'll make a plug for Rochester institute of tech. good luck with the applications.

kmac32
09-29-2013, 06:54 PM
University of Illinois is known for its engineering college

nolemmings
09-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Purdue as well.

drcy
10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Beyond the obvious private schools (Cal Tech, Cornell, MIT, Princeton), most of the big state schools offer overall solid and broad-range engineering programs. U of Illinois to U of Iowa, Indiana, Texas Tech, Ohio State, North Carolina to Iowa State. State schools like U of Michigan, Illinois, Cal-Berkely rank up their with Stanford.

In short, getting into a big state school is a great start for a normal person, from U of Texas to Northern Illinois. Clearly, if you get a full scholarship to Princeton you're doing okay :)

For the record, my dad was an engineering professor at the U of Michigan, which probably ranks top 5 overall, and he's high on state schools. He got his Ph.d. from the University of Minnesota. Though my dad grew up in a blue collar middle class family-- his dad was a train worker-- and would say sending your kid to U of Wisconsin or Virginia was just as good as sending him to Yale. As an engineer, he was practical about things. Of course, back when he was a professor, state schools were affordable. Often different today.

There are only a few MITs and Stanfords in the world, but there are a lot of reputable and decent engineering colleges for the normal guy-- perhaps one in state.

Also, my dad retired numerous years ago and spends most his time now doing crossword puzzles, working in the yard and walking his dog. Engineering rankings is about last on his mind.

TUM301
10-08-2013, 05:41 AM
UMASS Lowell, solid programs. State school that`s not nearly as expensive as the bigger names with a very good rep. Campus located in a fairly large city, Lowell about 130,000, that offers a well rounded student life and still is only about 30 min drive to Boston. Worth a look for anyone interested in the eng. fields. Good Luck P S other pluses include numerous sports teams and a rather large amount of coeds in the educational programs .

steve B
10-09-2013, 09:06 AM
UMASS Lowell, solid programs. State school that`s not nearly as expensive as the bigger names with a very good rep. Campus located in a fairly large city, Lowell about 130,000, that offers a well rounded student life and still is only about 30 min drive to Boston. Worth a look for anyone interested in the eng. fields. Good Luck P S other pluses include numerous sports teams and a rather large amount of coeds in the educational programs .

Totally spaced on them. They're about 10 blocks away from me too.

I have a friend who went, solid school with good connections to companies with local offices.

I went to Northeastern, also good, and eventually Waterbury state tech (Since absorbed into the community college they shared a campus with) I was primarily in a program for CAD/CAM that started in 84, but we learned a lot of general engineering. Probably not enough for certification, but more than enough to handle the technical end of things when I was doing industrial work. The guy I worked for was an old school mechanic, and extremely good at it. But I'd sometimes have to translate between "MIT English" and "Mechanic English"

If you've got anywhere near the grades, at least apply to MIT. You'll get a chance at a lot of very cutting edge stuff.

Also, College is very much a DIY education. The profs and assistants are there to give you information, but it's more up to you to learn it than it is now.

Steve B

itjclarke
10-13-2013, 01:09 AM
If you're willing to consider the west coast, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is a very good school for engineering and architecture. Of course if you're in a CA resident it's a much better deal. I studied mechanical engineering there in the mid-late '90's and my tuition was a ridiculously low $750 quarter. They also have a pretty good baseball team if you'd like to try and play college ball.

canjond
10-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Clarkson University grad as well. Started off as an aeronautical engineer, but found my way into law.

deucetwins
10-19-2013, 03:17 AM
West Point.

wazoo
10-19-2013, 10:22 AM
I appreciate all the responses. I'm still looking at RPI, WPI, Clarkson, RIT, Northeastern, Cornell, etc. I'll give it my all. I really don't want to go that far from home though.

wazoo
10-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I've looked at all the other college suggestions though, and some have caught my interest for sure.

GoCubsGo32
11-16-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm a recent Purdue grad. I moved from FL to IN because of the engineering school they offered at Purdue. It was tough transition, but the education made it worth while---(and parties,lol). In all seriousness, Purdue has a world class engineering institution and recognition. One of the best decision of my life. It's hard, no question, but I can tell you it helps having Purdue engineering on the good ol' resume. Good luck!

tedzan
11-16-2013, 11:56 PM
DITTO....regarding Purdue....my Nephew graduated there with a Computer Science degree some years back. He gave them an excellent rating
regarding their Engineering programs. Many Hi-Tech companies recruited him. He has enjoyed a very successful career with A T & T.

My Grandson will be graduating from the Univ. of Maine this forthcoming Spring with an EE degree. He chose Maine since he is a resident there,
and their Tuition was very reasonable. He grades their Engineering school with very high marks.

I'm a retired Electronics Engineer (30 years with Bell Labs.), who was first educated in the Tech. school system in the Air Force. While stationed
in Illinois for 2 1/2 years, I attended the Univ. of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana campus). I can tell you they have an excellent Engineering school.

My point here to you, wazoo..... is take your time and check out as many schools as you can before you make a decision.

TED Z

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
LOOKING for these 4 - T206 guys to complete my EXCLUSIVE 12 red HINDU sub-set (12 subjects)

FORD....McGRAW (glove)....PFEFFER....SHECKARD (glove)

Guru
11-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Rose Holman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)