PDA

View Full Version : Ernest and William Born

stewbacca
09-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Does anyone have a history on these two names? I see there are 8 of them for sale in the T206 BST section and I also have a pile of them myself. I am picturing two brothers who collected these as kids and didn't want each other stealing their cards so they rubber stamped them with their names. Probably not any famous names in particular, but it would be cool to find out anything about them as I continue my quest for the T206 and keep coming across their names.

Thanks,
Paul

Luke
09-14-2013, 11:18 PM
I also have a few. These guys had a lot of t206s!

Al C.risafulli
09-14-2013, 11:38 PM
It's fantastic to see these cards showing up in collections.

A very nice family consigned an original owner collection to LOTG last fall. Ernest Born was the lady's father, he grew up outside Philly and passed in the 1970s, I believe. I believe William Born was Ernest's brother. The collection consisted of a few handfuls of N172s, several hundred T cards, a pile of strip cards and some nonsports cards as well. The T206s included about 250 T206s with a nice selection of Cycle 460 backs, and also some nice rare-backed T207s. About a third of the cards were stamped with one of the Born's names. Oddly enough, there wasn't a Ty Cobb in the collection.

The consigning family was absolutely lovely, and these well-loved cards were saved by the lady when she cleared out her father's house after he passed. The cards remained in her attic until last fall.

It makes me so glad to see these cards generating interest.

-Al

mattsey9
09-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Does anyone have a history on these two names? I see there are 8 of them for sale in the T206 BST section and I also have a pile of them myself. I am picturing two brothers who collected these as kids and didn't want each other stealing their cards so they rubber stamped them with their names. Probably not any famous names in particular, but it would be cool to find out anything about them as I continue my quest for the T206 and keep coming across their names.

Thanks,
Paul

After reading Al's wonderful post, I looked up Ernest & William Born on Ancestry.com. The boys, according to the 1910 census, were 5 and 3 that year. That means that the boys likely were getting the cards from their father, at least at the start. My dad gave me his 59 Topps when I was a boy to get me started, and it looks like maybe the Born boys' father did the same.

frankbmd
09-15-2013, 04:59 AM
It's fantastic to see these cards showing up in collections.

A very nice family consigned an original owner collection to LOTG last fall. Ernest Born was the lady's father, he grew up outside Philly and passed in the 1970s, I believe. I believe William Born was Ernest's brother. The collection consisted of a few handfuls of N172s, several hundred T cards, a pile of strip cards and some nonsports cards as well. The T206s included about 250 T206s with a nice selection of Cycle 460 backs, and also some nice rare-backed T207s. About a third of the cards were stamped with one of the Born's names. Oddly enough, there wasn't a Ty Cobb in the collection.

The consigning family was absolutely lovely, and these well-loved cards were saved by the lady when she cleared out her father's house after he passed. The cards remained in her attic until last fall.

It makes me so glad to see these cards generating interest.

-Al

Al,

This information could be added to the provenance thread.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=147783
Shameless plug, but entirely appropriate, a similar type of
connection to stamped tobacco cards.;)

Mountaineer1999
09-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Saw a few of these on eBay, Intrigued I went to Google and ended up here on Net54 where these brothers had already been discussed. Good stuff. Love the history.

sayhey24
09-23-2014, 09:38 AM
I never heard this before -- very interesting story. My son's name is William Ernest, so it looks like I am going to have to find a couple of these cards!

Greg

jp1216
09-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Thread needed a picture:

http://www.billripken.com/bucket/t206wborn.jpg

Bosox Blair
09-30-2014, 03:42 AM
The Born Rusie:

Vintagecatcher
09-30-2014, 06:44 AM
Guess this thread should be called the "Born Identity" thread...

Patrick

Bosox Blair
09-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Guess this thread should be called the "Born Identity" thread...

Patrick

LOL - I thought about writing "the Born Rusie...not starring Matt Damon!" :D

Cheers,
Blair

kmac32
09-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Born Again?