PDA

View Full Version : Things you LIKE/don't like about this hobby?!

ullmandds
09-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Quiet day on the forum...been a lot of negative talk lately...lets discuss things we LIKE...and things we don't like about this hobby?!

RULE..if you mention a negative...you must also mention a positive!!!!!

ullmandds
09-12-2013, 09:39 AM
OK...I'll start...

I LOVE...the thrill of the hunt for obscure items.

I don't like altered/enhanced scans!

Leon
09-12-2013, 09:42 AM
I still enjoy the excitement of the hunt and about 99.9% of the hobbyists I have gotten to know. As for dislikes, I dislike the people who only come on the forum to bitch. Unfortunately some are my friends....but they only want to seem to bitch and not add anything positive. I think that kind of sucks....

tuckr1
09-12-2013, 09:52 AM
I like that feeling of reliving my childhood!! The fond memories of going to the corner store and busting 1986 topps baseball packs! I bought a box the other day and me and my 7 year old daughter ripped packs, and I got, to for a brief moment, go back in time and be that 10 year old boy without a care in the world, just me and my baseball cards, and I got to share that special memory with my kiddo.

freakhappy
09-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Things I like: the variety of cards you can choose from, the camaraderie/friendships that are built on this board and at shows, and finally the beauty of going to the National and being around all of that cardboard at once...pure fantasy!

Things I don't like: deceitful people, negative attitudes, and people that steal the good deals from me :p

brewing
09-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Dislike inconsistent TP grading.

Like that more cards are available to me today, than ever before.

Like that this board exists so card nerds can share the hobby with each other.

Slightly contradicting, I miss the shows where you could search through boxes looking for cards, and talking cards with like minded nerds.

insccollectibles
09-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Love the feeling when I finally land the card I've wanted it still makes me feel like a kid. I have to say the hunt is just as exciting and fun. I hate frauds/scammers and people who give this hobby a bad name in any fashion.

mark evans
09-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I agree that the quest for obscure items and the friendships formed at shows are the highlights of the hobby. Unfortunately, I have already collected most everything I want and can afford (a major limitation) so only now pick up occasional odds and ends.

My experiences in the hobby have been almost universally positive -- no negative experiences worthy of mention.

sycks22
09-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Like: Fun facts in catalogs that I never knew, also like owning something that's over 100 years old and thinking of the stories at each card could tell. I enjoy the great people that I've come to know in the hobby as well.

Dislike: The fact that some people will do anything to make a buck (popping cards out of cases and putting in reprints, etc)

tschock
09-12-2013, 10:37 AM
As a number have stated, the thrill of the hunt, for obscure items or not so obscure ones. But even more so, finding something I was not hunting for, have not seen before, and that I can actually afford. :)

atx840
09-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Absolutely love seeing what others collect and getting to know my fellow collectors.

When a card you've been wanting for a long time finally shows up in the mail.

I dislike those who take advantage of others who share their collecting goals. I have seen some impressive projects/runs that aren't shared on here due to a few ruining the fun.

Peter_Spaeth
09-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Like: real cards, most collectors.

Dislike: the pervasive fraud that infects the hobby, including the sellers who facilitate the fraudsters and the people at all levels who turn a blind eye.

ullmandds
09-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Chris B...I feel ya...it used to be you go to a dealer...fellow collector...or card store...to see if they have a card(S) you're looking for...and they'd sell them to you...but these days if you/someone wants something...the price automatically seems to increase exponentially...just because you "want" it?!?!

Rich Klein
09-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I still enjoy the excitement of the hunt and about 99.9% of the hobbyists I have gotten to know. As for dislikes, I dislike the people who only come on the forum to bitch. Unfortunately some are my friends....but they only want to seem to bitch and not add anything positive. I think that kind of sucks....

I'm going to have use some vacation days in October/November if and when the Rangers season is decided (I have to keep WS options open). We need a lunch BS session soon so you can complain to me about the people who need to bitch on the board :D

Rich Klein
09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Like most of the people in the hobby, like being able to help collectors, like the bantering on Net 54, even like the threads Travis starts. like my column at Sports Collectors Daily

Dislike: Not having the money to buy a T-206 Wagner except for a reprint

packs
09-12-2013, 11:11 AM
I like the history and the connection you can have to a card from a time you never saw.

I dislike the in-fighting amongst such a small percentage of the world that is constantly getting smaller. Enough already.

Zach Wheat
09-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I've enjoyed meeting fellow collectors with the same focus and passion for similar areas of collecting. It is exciting to learn completely new information about a set or card or topic on which I knew little previously.

I dislike the majority of the negativity on the board. Some of it is helpful, and spurs interesting conversation. However, I think the overall negativity and pejorative comments that are made can be intimidating to lurkers or collectors that don't post much.

Z Wheat

ethicsprof
09-12-2013, 11:28 AM
very well said.

I very much like the scholarly research being done in the fields of vintage baseball cards
and vintage baseball photos.
I dislike that it is sometimes inhibited and even stifled by puerile ad hominem attacks.
all the best,
barry

Cardboard Junkie
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I like baseball cards.

I hate people.

ibuysportsephemera
09-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I like learning something new on Net54 and then it translates to a purchase at a Show, Flea Market, Antique store etc.

I really like meeting the members of Net54 either in person or on line...there seems to be a lot in common (obviously).

I really dislike the members on Net54 who seem to follow the same people from thread to thread and post either negative or nasty comments (usually relating to past history that most know nothing about). I am not referring to the recent Travis issues..he had it coming.

Jeff

Bosox Blair
09-12-2013, 11:50 AM
...finally shows up in the mail.

This has a special meaning for Canadians! :D

Cheers,
Blair

Bosox Blair
09-12-2013, 12:00 PM
I like:

- the history of baseball
- collecting old stuff in nice condition
- the thrill of auctions
- SGC and PSA for making it much easier to buy/sell cards, especially in a non-face-to-face transaction (and despite all the constant moaning and attacks on the TPGs, I remember being a collector in the 1980s...what we have now thanks to TPGs is a lot better...I ended up returning more mail-ordered cards than I ever kept back then...and eating a lot of cost because of it...)
- eBay showing collectors clearly what cards were truly tough, and what was actually quite common
- services tracking actual prices paid (real market value) have displaced arbitrary and wildly inaccurate "price guides"
- every collector I have ever met in person, and especially those from this Board

I dislike:

- people who focus on what they dislike

Cheers,
Blair

Gmrson
09-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Like: the history, the hunt, most of the people, that there are always "new" old cards I'm discovering

Dislike: a few of the people, fraud

WhenItWasAHobby
09-12-2013, 12:02 PM
I like vintage cards, Net54Baseball, and collectors that are passionate hobbyists.

I dislike card doctoring, shill bidding, people who renege on commitments (either on auction bids or backing out on purchases). I also have no respect whatsoever for the spineless moral cowards who allow fraudsters to run roughshod over themselves and others and continue to buy graded cards strictly for the labels with total disregard of issues of obvious overgrading or card doctoring.

VoodooChild
09-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Likes: That there is no "wrong" way to collect. I enjoy doing research on players, sets, types, era's, etc. and coming up with new projects to start (and never finish!).

Dislikes: Racial Segregation. The fact that there are no black player's cards is the main reason I just can't concentrate only on Pre-War. I also don't like those PSA Holders with the plastic sheet that crumples up and crates that wave effect:

mart8081
09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
A key aspect for me is that I feel part of a 'global' collecting community even though I live on the other side of the Atlantic. Net54 plays a big role in this for me.

Throughout the day I check in regularly. I take real joy seeing the cards/memorabilia that people have added to their collections as shown in the monthly pick-up threads.

It's really great that we are able to share this passion, learn more about baseball, its history, printing methods and much more whilst forging new friendships.

Happy collecting all.

Martin

Jason
09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
With my collection primarily focused on minor league players I like the research involved in finding out who the player was.I like the Online sites such as this one and baseball reference to look at players stats from the era.I enjoy card shows even if there is nothing there that fits my current focus.And I like the fellow collectors who are willing to help out others and share knowledge.

I dislike overpriced BIN's of cards that I want and there are quite a few out there.

quinnsryche
09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
LIKE: So many cool cards!:)
DISLIKE: So many cool cards I can't afford!:(

alanu
09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
In spite of all the changes at ebay, I still like looking at my searches each day to see what's out there.

oldjudge
09-12-2013, 01:59 PM
I like many of the people I have met in the hobby; many have become some of my best friends.

I dislike the use of phrases that were never used in the history of the Bronx (puerile ad hominem) :-)

varsitycollectibles
09-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Like: Hunting, learning, trading, indoctrinating my son.

Dislike: Fraud and telling people how/who to collect.

Howe’s Hunter
09-12-2013, 02:32 PM
I like the camaraderie that I've found here on the board. People who like cards for liking cards. Part of that camaraderie is knowing that while they may not collect what you do, or how you do, others are willing to give advice, tell a story, point you in a direction you haven't been before or yet and just be nice about baseball cards in general.

Hope to someday make it to a national and have the opportunity to meet everyone I've only been able to befriend thanks to this thing they call the internet.

Edwolf1963
09-12-2013, 03:12 PM
*The people I have met and/or come to know through this board
*Learning so much about the history and hobby here
*The photoshop re-posts of the picture the one guy showed of a Wagner he supposedly had (I forget his name, wasn't that long ago). Still laughing at the one with w/him photoshopped into the American Gothic painting and caption that read "masterpiece within a masterpiece"
*Someone listing a T206 common PSA2 as incredible, undergraded, "should be a 7", etc. - looking for $120, bumped it umpteen times, then said "open to offers" and then the next post was "I'll give you $30"

Dislikes:

*Under-cooked Buffalo Wings. Use of the term "irregardless" or flight attendants who use the term "de-plane-ing" (dopey made-up airline lingo - - I didn't "de-car" when I got out of that or "de-shower" when leaving that this morning).
*Liars, fraud, shilling, hearing about a member/hobbyist that has passed away.

hangman62
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I enjoy a very long outrageous post/ thread on the site, in which multiple guys are arguing , and seems to go on for double digit pages..stuff that gets viewed thousands of times. I find it entertaining,
I also enjoy sizing up certain guys based on their comments and posts as " lonely", " nerdy", " douche bags", " rich guys", " blow hards", "phoneys","losers", "showoffs", "cheapskates",and then most common..just guys who love old baseball cards

Ral G

T205 GB
09-12-2013, 03:23 PM
I like the research and hobby friends I have made. Also love the 205 AB's.

Dislike the few collectors that have the AB's I need for my set I need like Matty, Merkle, and Marquard:D

BlueSky
09-12-2013, 05:35 PM
I like:

the history of baseball and being able to hold that history in my hands
that the internet provides me the ability to see such amazing collections that you all are willing to share
the memories of holding cards from my youth that I shared with my father

sports-rings
09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
I've been reading way too many threads on net54 lately that have contained fighting and bitching. Thanks for a great thread!

I like the thrill of finding the hard-to-find items for my collection.

I like sharing knowledge with others and I am grateful for this site and the members that can help answer any question!

WillowGrove
09-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Agreed - time for a positive thread -

I love the discovery of stuff that interests me, the hobby friends I've made and sitting back after a tough day grabbing a box of my collection and looking through it sitting on the couch while watching a little TV.

peter

JollyElm
09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Love:
Seeing all the 'strange' things that people collect. Cards and what not that I've never had an interest in are put into a new light as I see people posting what their newest additions are. Cool stuff!

Hate:
Traders who constantly--time and time again, over and over, ad infinitum, etc.--try to get great cards off of you by low-balling or offering their junk in return. There is no shortage of people like that here on this board. Always looking out only for their own interests.

campyfan39
09-12-2013, 07:59 PM
LOVE: Looking at the card. The artwork. The memories associated with them

HATE: Grading and high numbers

Vintageloz
09-12-2013, 08:01 PM
The so many different ways to collect....sets, players, collections, HOFers, rookies and on and on always keeping it new for me.

Dislike
The effect that the overproduction of cards in the 80's and 90's had on the hobby overall and the card companies inability to respond to a changing market and consumer base

ethicsprof
09-12-2013, 08:06 PM
jay,

I have written so much on this board re: ad hominem that I fear I must listen
to one of my favorite writers from the Bronx, Willa Cather.
" There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before." :)

all the best,
Barry

PolarBear
09-12-2013, 08:11 PM
I like the history involved.

I dislike the drama.

xcgrammer
09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Likes: Love having a connection to the times when the cards I'm collecting originally came out. Love thinking about the times and years, and what was going on in the world in those years the cards were issued (dead ball era, and the 50's etc.) I also really love to get the cards that I wasn't able to get when I was a kid in the 80's and 90's.

Hates: Often hate the concept of grading in general sometimes feel it is a scam and we are believing the scam. I also really really hate late 90's insert cards and the jersey, swatch, auto, bat fragment cards of recent vintage. Those are straight garbage.

Eric72
09-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I like:

Baseball, the sport. For all of its inherent issues, the game is beautiful to watch. For some, it's MLB. For others, it's going to their kid's little league game. And there are many more versions: high school; college; minor leagues; independent leagues; sandlot; over-40 softball; bar leagues; pickup games in the park. Whatever the arena, it's all good.

Baseball Cards...old ones, new ones, even (to a certain degree) the overproduced stuff from the 1990's. Of course, I like some better than others...but, don't we all?

Net54baseball.com - what an excellent addition to the hobby.

Regarding dislikes...why bother?

Great thread...let's keep it going, everyone.

Best Regards,

Eric.

Eric72
09-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I like:

the history of baseball and being able to hold that history in my hands
that the internet provides me the ability to see such amazing collections that you all are willing to share
the memories of holding cards from my youth that I shared with my father

An absolutely perfect +1 to this.

Vol
09-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I like the history involved.

I dislike the drama.

Love Net 54 and this hobby we all share.

And on the drama topic..I remember a couple years ago, Leon took a poll (I think) on whether to allow religion and political discussion to take place. Now that woulda been DRAMA. :p

the 'stache
09-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I love the wealth of information that is available here, and the wonderful people that provide it. I can truly say that you all have enriched my hobby experience.

I have wanted to explore the baseball cards that were made before I was born for some time, but never felt I had the knowledge necessary to make those purchases. I was worried about overpaying, as well as buying cards that might be fakes. Now I look forward to building the collection I have always dreamed of having, and I thank you all.

oldjudge
09-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Barry--I never knew Willa Cather was from the Bronx. Thank you for teaching me that! BTW, do you count Poe as from the Bronx? He had a home in the north part of the Borough.

Jay

slipk1068
09-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Like:

Reading and learning about base ball history and how it mirrors US history in so many ways and then holding a small piece of that history in my hands.

Dislike:

People who cheat and dealers who try to convince me that the cards they are selling are the greatest and cards any other dealer has for sale are second rate.

sportscardpete
09-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Like - last day of auction

Dislike - Forgetting an auction

nebboy
09-13-2013, 08:27 AM
I like:

Baseball, the sport. For all of its inherent issues, the game is beautiful to watch. For some, it's MLB. For others, it's going to their kid's little league game. And there are many more versions: high school; college; minor leagues; independent leagues; sandlot; over-40 softball; bar leagues; pickup games in the park. Whatever the arena, it's all good.

Baseball Cards...old ones, new ones, even (to a certain degree) the overproduced stuff from the 1990's. Of course, I like some better than others...but, don't we all?

Net54baseball.com - what an excellent addition to the hobby.

Regarding dislikes...why bother?

Great thread...let's keep it going, everyone.

Best Regards,

Eric.

((((((((( Very well said - the cards are just part of the love for the game, old and new. There is so much to like about this hobby, can waste my time on the the bad.))))). John

nebboy
09-13-2013, 08:27 AM
I hate it when I double post

ethicsprof
09-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Jay,
Annabel Lee was written in the Bronx---that's plenty to make him from the Bronx
IMHO. I do remember--in the farthest reaches of my memory--that a Poe cottage
is still in the Bronx. And given Poe's predilections--maybe Poe himself still lives there. :)
all the best,
barry

mark evans
09-13-2013, 02:08 PM
I believe there is a very informative discussion of the Poe cottage in a mystery novel by Linda Fairstein (who I went to law school with). Can't remember which novel, memory fading, turning 64 in a couple weeks.

Mark

Roofman4
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Like: searching all the flea markets, antique consignment malls, estate sales and yard sales for old cards...never know where they'll turn up.

Dislike: the guy at the auction that has deep pockets and no interest in cards that will drop 3-4 times that value of a card and push me out of contention.

Cardboard Junkie
09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
I would like to change my dislike answer to:
Times when politics or religion rear their ugly heads on net54.:(

T206DK
09-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I hate that collecting baseball cards is no longer a hobby !

DeanH3
09-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Love the hunt for that next treasure. :) I really appreciate this forum as well. It's a great place to interact with some good peeps that share a common passion.

This one kind of a hybrid.

The internet, ebay and AH's has really expanded the quantity and quality of cards available to me, BUT it has absolutely killed the cards shows. Man, I do miss the days of when I would sit in excitement waiting for the net Tri-Star show and dream of what I might find. Good times.....Good times...

Mikehealer
09-13-2013, 08:54 PM
I like Coupons(these are a couple of my favorites) along with most PreWWI cards.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mhgt/hoft206/coupons/frontscans/large/Cobb%20Bat%20Off.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/mhgt/hoft206/coupons/frontscans/large/Johnson.jpg

DeanH3
09-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Awesome cards Mike!! I'm a fan of Coupons as well.

Gradedcardman
09-13-2013, 10:40 PM
I like some of the other hobbyists
I don't like some of the other hobbyists

bbsports
09-13-2013, 10:59 PM
I've spent more years as a dealer in this hobby than as a collector. There is nothing more rewarding to a dealer than helping out a young baseball collector that is trying to make a card set. Not only do you get the respect from the kid, you get it from the parents as well. Back in 70's I started that way, & now I just enjoy returning the favor. What I dislike most are collectors & dealers that work hard for their money that have items stolen off their table at card shows. Also the liars & cheaters in this hobby.

lug-nut
09-14-2013, 12:35 PM
likes: the feeling I get when I look at these vintage cards and picture myself watching addie joss, matty or the big train pitch to guys like cobb wagner ruth and so many others...completely different than todays game

dislikes: the guys that hoard the cards that I want...you know who you are :p

ErikV
09-14-2013, 01:37 PM
As long as I've been collecting, there are still two things that are my
favorite about our hobby. The first is learning of a new find. A few
of my favorites have been the Skydash collection, any new Wagner
find, and of course the Black Swamp find. I hope that there will be
more finds in the hobby as this is never a bad thing.

Along with these finds, I love hearing about collectors dedicating
their time and efforts into various research projects about our hobby.
Whether it be an article or a new book, reading and learning new
things about our hobby is a priceless addition that should not be
overlooked.

As for what I don't like about the hobby: rude people who have no
place in our hobby, and the National permanently moving to Chicago
and Cleveland.

ErikV

steve B
09-14-2013, 02:01 PM
There's so much to like it's hard to pick just one thing.

Most of the likes have already been covered. The history, the challenge of finding something special or a deal. Seeing how other people approach the hobby.
I'm always a bit jealous of the collectors who can put together amazing collections, but I'm also really glad they're out there doing it. Especially if they're willing to show off a bit. (Go for it guys, you really do deserve it:) )

I like that there are other people who are ok with approaching cards a bit more technically as well. Coming from collecting stamps and a few coins the fun of looking at the small details has usually seemed missing from cards. Or was until I found this board.

I even like the new stuff. Maybe not all of it, but most of it. Some stuff is just as much of a challenge as prewar, and cheaper. I don't really like that so few care enough to even keep track of the new stuff, but that leaves some puzzles for the guys collecting 30 years or more from now.

Dislikes? Again, mostly covered. The scammers and guys just in it for the money were always around and probably always will be. It's just become a bit harder to tell them apart from the ill-informed.
Maybe the people who aren't open minded about aspects of collecting they don't have an interest in? But that's always been that way too. There are ways of collecting that just haven't caught my interest, but if someone else collects that way that's not such a bad thing.

Steve B

EvilKing00
09-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Like - finding that rare or hard to fond card.

Dislike- fakes, reprints being sold as real, etc not cool

EvilKing00
09-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I like the research and hobby friends I have made. Also love the 205 AB's.

Dislike the few collectors that have the AB's I need for my set I need like Matty, Merkle, and Marquard:D

great post! :D