PDA

View Full Version : The Largest Auctioneer....,..,

oldjudge
09-11-2013, 11:20 PM
"Welcome to Clean Sweep Auctions.com. We are the largest auctioneer and seller of vintage sports cards, autographs and memorabilia in the world. We both sell and auction items."

The above is a quote from an add for the next Clean Sweep Auction. I know Steve Verkman would never stretch the truth, so I wonder by what measure are they the largest auctioneer in the world?

RCMcKenzie
09-11-2013, 11:26 PM
They are not the largest, but he did continue to send me catalogs for many years when I was not active in the hobby, and I read them even though I didn't bid. I got some good deals on some T213-3's back in the day from his sale's page, unfortunately, I sold them for good deals.

wonkaticket
09-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Now that's very funny. :D

Some of the claims these companies make are hilarious. Reminds me of the old days of major trade shows for any industry. As you walked past hotel conference rooms and peaked in you could see the same PowerPoint slides all claiming to be industry leaders. Amazing everyone is in first or second place.

Who the heck needs Honey Boo Boo to see laughable stuff. Just get into this hobby and get your fill.

Peter_Spaeth
09-12-2013, 06:03 AM
He said largest "auctioneer and seller," not largest auctioneer.

T205 GB
09-12-2013, 07:02 AM
Who the heck needs Honey Boo Boo to see laughable stuff. Just get into this hobby and get your fill.

I think they make shows like this to make other people feel better about themselves. Sad it is that we have to be so cautious about what we say to keep from hurting peoples feelings and being sued yet we can make a TV show and humiliate them to the public and be just fine. Only watched about 10 min of one show and the dad was trying to get lucky and lure momma into bed with a cupcake. That had me rolling when she looked at it like your gonna need more than one to get her but felt dumber just for watching it.

packs
09-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I know this is off topic but since Honey Boo Boo got brought up, I don't understand the backlash this show receives. It's just a family who has fun with each other and lives their lives the way they want. It seems like people want them to be embarrassed about who they are and since they aren't, that aggrevates people. I'm not understanding the logic there. Although I understand the exploitation of the family that the network profits from. However none of the criticism is thrown at the network, only at the family.

Jewish-collector
09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Is that like the same claim that members on this message board are very helpful, but always ignore my questions thru PM or email ?

slidekellyslide
09-12-2013, 09:05 AM
"Welcome to Clean Sweep Auctions.com. We are the largest auctioneer and seller of vintage sports cards, autographs and memorabilia in the world. We both sell and auction items."

The above is a quote from an add for the next Clean Sweep Auction. I know Steve Verkman would never stretch the truth, so I wonder by what measure are they the largest auctioneer in the world?

I've never seen Steve Verkman...maybe he's a very large man?

ullmandds
09-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Steve's not "large"...but on that subject...I wonder who is the "largest" auctioneer...pound for lb?!

Deertick
09-12-2013, 09:45 AM
I know this is off topic but since Honey Boo Boo got brought up, I don't understand the backlash this show receives. It's just a family who has fun with each other and lives their lives the way they want. It seems like people want them to be embarrassed about who they are and since they aren't, that aggrevates people. I'm not understanding the logic there. Although I understand the exploitation of the family that the network profits from. However none of the criticism is thrown at the network, only at the family.

Packs, I agree. I watched it at first to see what the hubbub was about (spoiled brat, ignorant family.etc) but all I found was a simple, loving family who enjoy life. I have a friend who has at least a Mil in the bank who's lifestyle mirrors them a LOT. (minus the chicken in the living room :D) Some people don't need stuff or others approval to be happy. Work, hunt, fish, play, eat, sleep. Repeat.

I'll bet if they lost 25 -100 lbs, no one would be so judgmental.

bender07
09-12-2013, 09:52 AM

By height

oldjudge
09-12-2013, 10:54 AM
It is certainly not by weight or height. I can't imagine that it would be by sales or earnings or number of registered bidders either. Steve, maybe you could come on the board and explain your statement. I would hope that your lot descriptions are less opaque.

Bosox Blair
09-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Is that like the same claim that members on this message board are very helpful, but always ignore my questions thru PM or email ?

PM me any time, amigo...guaranteed response (no guarantee of any value in the response though) :D. Hope you are well!!!

Cheers,
Blair

byrone
09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
By height

...from Caddyshack

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?

Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.

Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?

Ty Webb: By height.

wonkaticket
09-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Steve, maybe you could come on the board and explain your statement. I would hope that your lot descriptions are less opaque.

Jay you’re a little naïve aren’t you. Do you really think the world’s largest auctioneer and seller of vintage sports cards, autographs and memorabilia has time to answer your silly questions? Grow up Jay. :D

Gmrson
09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
...from Caddyshack

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?

Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.

Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?

Ty Webb: By height.

I thought this exact thing several posts back....

oldjudge
09-12-2013, 01:13 PM
(To the tune of Big John)

Every morning at Carle Place
You could see him arrive
He stood five foot six
And weighed 145
Kind of narrow at the shoulder
And pudgy at the hip
And everyone knew you didn't give no lip
To big Steve

wonkaticket
09-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Lol.

CaramelMan
09-12-2013, 02:11 PM

the family makes $25,000 a week....

how many of you make $25,000 a week?

I think they are doing just fine...so laugh away at them

Leon
09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
(To the tune of Big John)

Every morning at Carle Place
You could see him arrive
He stood five foot six
And weighed 145
Kind of narrow at the shoulder
And pudgy at the hip