PDA

View Full Version : BCCG Conversion

Edwolf1963
09-11-2013, 07:47 AM
I know most, including myself, think BCCG holders are a waste of time and money - that whole position by Beckett has been talked about here several times and in many ways.

I'm curious on one aspect though - is there any sort of rough guideline to what their numbers might convert to in a straight BVG, PSA or SGC format? You know, much like the general guideline on PSA qualifiers is a 2 grade demotion (IE: PSA8 OC = PSA6), didn't know if the same principle worked for BCCG? I've seen some BCCG 10's look quite good and yet others in the BCCG 8 or 9 range look like they wouldn't cross low to mid-grade.

Obviously there are variations and exceptions, and ultimately it goes back to "buy the card, not the holder" - but again, just curious if there's a general rule of thumb (other than don't buy BCCG ) that applies on cross-over?

srs1a
09-11-2013, 07:58 AM
If you believe their grading at all....

a BCCG-10 is described as MINT or better, so maybe it gets a 9 from one of the big boys (my guess is it won't, though)

a BCCG-9 is described as NM or better, so maybe it gets a 7

a BCCG-8 is described as EX or better, so maybe it gets a 5

a BCCG-7 is described as VG or better, so maybe it gets a 3

a BCCG-6 is described as G or better, so maybe it gets a 2

autograf
09-11-2013, 08:22 AM
I agree with the 7.....there's a 1953 Mantle BCCG7 on ebay right now that's got great corners but a pretty prounounced crease through the hat all the way across the card. I'd assume with the clean corners it'd get a 3 otherwise a 2. Don't expect MUCH.......

novakjr
09-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I believe that BCCG doesn't take centering or PDs into account. Throw out the numbers, and I'd think that assuming decent centering and no PD's(or similar minor factory flaws), that a card should convert somewhat close to the described condition.

Again, just an opinion, but I've always believed that they ignore any factory issues(unless it's a MAJOR one), and grade their cards, based on post-factory treatment..

Edwolf1963
09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks, helpful to know. Understanding that they are opinions, still builds a knowledge bank. I was reminded only in looking at Pristine Auctions (ends tonight) and the disproportionate share of BCCG and GEM cards they have. Not sure if they are affiliated in some way, or just took in sets from people who had them in those holders? Either way, harder to navigate the true condition, and in the case of GEM - if they're trimmed or altered?

Thanks again for the feedback!

**Update** Well I just saw a Beckett email that alerted me that Pristine Auctions ends tonight, so that answers the question of are they affiliated - and the disproportionate number of cards in BCCG holders.

KCRfan1
09-11-2013, 09:50 AM
GEM, PRO,ect. I just measure the cards to give me peace of mind the cards are not altered ( trimmed ). Creases you will have to watch for, but that is why you ask questions before you buy. You might be able to get a nice deal on a graded card that has not been graded by the big boys.