PDA

View Full Version : 1931 Cardinals World Series ring?

Chris Counts
09-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Hi all,

A friend of mine asked me to post some pictures of a ring he has. He's hoping to find out more about it. While it looks like 1931 Cardinals World Series ring, its design is slightly different than the images I found of others online. There's an inscription inside that says, "To Doc Weaver ... from the boys." I presume it was given to Harrison Weaver, the Cardinals' trainer. Any feedback about it is appreciated ...

Thanks,

Chris

johnmh71
09-08-2013, 04:03 PM
From what I have read, players sometimes had a ring made for themselves prior to when teams started issuing them. Maybe the Cardinals did not provide the trainer with one that year, but the players felt he should have one and had this one made. That would explain the inscription.

If that is the case, even without the stone, it would be quite the unique item.

ruth-gehrig
09-08-2013, 04:21 PM
From what I have read, players sometimes had a ring made for themselves prior to when teams started issuing them. Maybe the Cardinals did not provide the trainer with one that year, but the players felt he should have one and had this one made. That would explain the inscription.

If that is the case, even without the stone, it would be quite the unique item.

I know nothing about rings but that does make sense to me. Neat piece!!

sports-rings
09-09-2013, 05:03 AM
The ring you show looks like it was made by a professional company with experience making rings. A ring made by a local jeweler, who was assigned to make one ring would probably not be able to turn out a ring looking like this.

Perhaps he got his hands on a prototype ring? Earl Adams made the rings for the team so perhaps it was one of their prototype rings. The sides of the ring look identical (or almost identical) to the rings the team received which is a strong indication that this ring in question was also made by Earl Adams.

Another interesting feature of the ring is that it contains coloring. Today's rings achieve this by using enamel paint. I don't recall any rings until the 1950's Dodgers Rings that had enamel paint.

The top is quite different than what the players received so my gut feeling is this was a prototype ring and the team decided to alter the top and not go with this design.