PDA

View Full Version : Optimistic.

Brian Van Horn
09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1917-Hans-Honus-Wagner-D328-Weil-Baking-Co-in-New-Orleans-LA-1-1-FREE-SHIPPING-/261279886390?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cd57eac36

timn1
09-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Is the "Hans" really a variation? Never heard of that... if it's not a variation, the whole listing is not only optimistic but bogus.

Mrvintage
09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
This card has been listed on Ebay at auction twice already and the seller ended the auction early both times when the bidding was in the $200.00 range. I'm not quite sure what a realistic price on this card might be, but I can't get over the fact that it has been graded by BVG instead of SGC or PSA.

the 'stache
09-04-2013, 06:44 PM
This card has been listed on Ebay at auction twice already and the seller ended the auction early both times when the bidding was in the $200.00 range. I'm not quite sure what a realistic price on this card might be, but I can't get over the fact that it has been graded by BVG instead of SGC or PSA.

Hmm. The seller ended the auction early twice? Did you happen to spy a shill bidder with the username 1952top*****tle? :D

That's a really nice card, even for a Beckett 2. I'm just a sucker for anything Honus Wagner, though.

nolemmings
09-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm just a sucker for anything Honus Wagner, though.

Me too, just not the Hans Wagner :)

BTW, there is no variation. They are all Hans, at least every one I have ever seen, and if there is Honus variation, that would be the short-print, not the Hans as he advertises.

ksabet
09-04-2013, 07:02 PM
The guy only seems to sell new shiny cards for less than $10 then ends up with this? :eek:

timn1
09-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi,
What evidence do you have that this "Hans" Wagner is a rare variation? I am pretty familiar with this set, and all D328 and E135 Wagners that I have seen or heard of are labeled "Hans" rather than "Honus". Isn't it a nice enough card without questionable claims that it is a rare variation?

Brian Van Horn
09-05-2013, 09:10 AM
And another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-E135-Honus-Hans-Wagner-1-1-PSA-authentic-/271271767174?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3f290eac86

nolemmings
09-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I saw that one Brian. Seller also falsely states that "There isn't another graded example of this Wagner." There are 10 graded by SGC and 6 by PSA.

I suppose he might try and argue that there are no other 1916 graded Wagners for Collins-McCarthy (his card is incorrectly labeled) but even that is false and disingenuous. There is in fact a mislabeled 1916 Wagner in the SGC pop reports, and while PSA changed its pop reports to exclude 1916 for Collins-McCarthy (changing it to 1917), it did so for all cards in the set; thus, he really can't say there are no other 1916 PSA Wagners without acknowledging that even his does not exist in the Pop report.

timn1
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I got a reasonable response from the seller of the D328 Hans Wagner who said that the Beckett person told him that the "Hans" was a rare variation. Knowing Beckett, I can easily believe this. He also asked about its value and I suggested it was probably in the 3-4K range, rather than 16K+.

Tim

Leon
09-07-2013, 07:10 AM
I got a reasonable response from the seller of the D328 Hans Wagner who said that the Beckett person told him that the "Hans" was a rare variation. Knowing Beckett, I can easily believe this. He also asked about its value and I suggested it was probably in the 3-4K range, rather than 16K+.

Tim

Depends on who they asked at Beckett. A few of their folks know vintage real well. But historically some of their thinking has to make you scratch your head (Goudey Ruth Rookie). As for value.....I would think 3k-5k, it's a nice and scarce card.

Ladder7
09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I saw that one Brian. Seller also falsely states that "There isn't another graded example of this Wagner." There are 10 graded by SGC and 6 by PSA.

I suppose he might try and argue that there are no other 1916 graded Wagners for Collins-McCarthy (his card is incorrectly labeled) but even that is false and disingenuous. There is in fact a mislabeled 1916 Wagner in the SGC pop reports, and while PSA changed its pop reports to exclude 1916 for Collins-McCarthy (changing it to 1917), it did so for all cards in the set; thus, he really can't say there are no other 1916 PSA Wagners without acknowledging that even his does not exist in the Pop report.

There are no other blank-backs?

nolemmings
09-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Ah, I completely missed that--he's apparently arguing that his Wagner is the only blank-backed graded. I was focused on the Hans-Honus thing. My bad.

In that case, it's tough to say from SGC's pop reports, since they do not differentiate between blank-backed and "regular" Colllins-McCarthy cards in their pop reports--either that or they have never graded & labeled a single blank back of any card from that set (doubtful).

The seller is still wrong though, in that PSA pop reports do in fact show another blank-backed Wagner as having been graded. I guess he's just less wrong then I thought.