PDA

View Full Version : Question about T-206 grading..

t206whiteborders
09-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I recently came across 22 T-206 Piedmont 150's. I was told by then owner his grandson spilt paint thinner on them. Now all the cards look okay, but my question is. If I send these in to be graded will they grade out with paint thinner on them?? I only ask because I was told the (tpg) looks at them under a black light. I don't want to pay to have them graded only to have them either not grade them or they grade out altered. Just thought ID ask some of you more experienced collectors.

steve B
09-02-2013, 08:22 PM
I suppose it depends on the thinner. Most of the modern ones don't leave much residue behind. So not much odor. I'm not sure if they react to UV.

But I would worry about the thinner being in them over the long term.

Fortunately most of it is lighter than water, so a soaking would probably remove some of it if not most.

Just soak them deep, and use a drop (Literally) of Joy dish liquid on the surface before removing them. The joy should get the oil based solvents to clump so the water surface is clear of thinner before you bring the cards out. That way the won't get recontaminated with thinner.

If the thinner is alcohol, then that won't help much.

Steve B

steve B
09-02-2013, 08:29 PM
darn double post....