PDA

View Full Version : California card show Oct. 5th.

rdwyer
09-01-2013, 08:13 PM
http://www.socalsportscollectors.com/#/

Sean1125
09-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Has anyone been to the show before? Any smaller dealers with vintage or mostly larger guys?

Iron Horse
09-01-2013, 08:30 PM
surprisingly there was a good selection of pre war and 50's stuff for sale. Nice show. Looking forward to it :)

chaddurbin
09-01-2013, 09:14 PM
who are the autograph guests?

MattyC
09-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Was a great show last time. Spent a memorable hour or so talking nuances of 1975 mini commons with two enthusiastic collectors about 11-12 years old. Met some very affable fellow collectors, had some great chats, absorbed knowledge about unfamiliar issues-- just good vibes all around.

Jay Wolt
09-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Anthony & Adam ;)

Exhibitman
09-02-2013, 08:22 AM
No signers, no contests, no jackhole on a P.A. system annoying everyone with continual announcements about stuff no one wants to hear, just lots of cards and memorabilia and a great facility with a big sitting area for relaxing between deals. The first show had a nice diverse dealer base and good traffic all day long and we are hoping for even better this time out. We've got a bunch of vintage baseball dealers confirmed, and it looks like we have boxing [of course], nonsports, basketball and football guys setting up as well. Tables are only $95 and with it being a one-day show it is manageable for a weekend warrior. Please feel free to PM me if you need more info.

SMPEP
09-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Admission is also free (which is pretty unbelievable), so if you're close ... you have no excuse NOT to go!

Seriously, I'll echo those above ... great show, great vibe, no autograph distraction nonsense, and almost exclusively vintage.

At the very least ... it's worth every penny you pay to go!

Cheers,
Patrick

oaks1912
09-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Fun show, a few smaller dealers (under 125 pounds) with vintage, and a few larger dealers (approaching 300 #) as well....... Patrick, are you setting up in the same spot?... Loved those special '52 Highs...:).... Is there a chance that Gilbert Gottfried will be announcing the door prizes?....

Rich Klein
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Mark Macrae is a legend amongst dealers :p

Al C.risafulli
09-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I set up at this show in May, and highly recommend it. Excellent show put on by great people, with some fantastic dealers.

I won't be at the one in October, but I plan to do the one next Spring...

-Al

SMPEP
09-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Marc, as ar as I know, I'll be in the same place ... so look forward to seeing you there.

And believe it or not ... there will be some new additions to my "special" 1952 high numbers!

Cheers,
Patrick

Exhibitman
09-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Just wanted to let any potential weekend warriors know that: (1) open table signup started today, so all remaining tables are first-come, first-served, and (2) we have arranged for rental showcases at $20 each or 4 for $70 [same table only], again with first-come, first-served availability. Please get your paperwork and table fees in ASAP or you might end up at the crappy tables over by me. ;)

Wite3
09-03-2013, 03:04 PM
I cannot wait...great show with a great location and dealers...I plan to make a day of it...

Joshua

Jaybird
09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I cannot wait...great show with a great location and dealers...I plan to make a day of it...

Joshua

you always find cool stuff at the show. I usually like to see what goodies you get by the end of the day. Normally some tough cards and rarities pulled out of dollar bins.

oaks1912
09-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Mark Macrae is a legend amongst dealers :p
Rich...while some might refer to me a legend (not) , just be clear that I'm not Legendary...thats an auction house 2000 miles east of here....;)... I know that you would enjoy this style of show.....even Teddy Z is traveling 3000 miles to attend.

Wite3
09-04-2013, 07:42 AM
you always find cool stuff at the show. I usually like to see what goodies you get by the end of the day. Normally some tough cards and rarities pulled out of dollar bins.

Jason,
I can only hope since money is kinda tight at the moment. I cannot wait...had such a fun show last time just talking and sitting with some of the dealers, trading (yes, trading!), and chatting with you and Mark (not to mention buying some cards!). Certainly looking forward to October.

Joshua

Rich Klein
09-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Rich...while some might refer to me a legend (not) , just be clear that I'm not Legendary...thats an auction house 2000 miles east of here....;)... I know that you would enjoy this style of show.....even Teddy Z is traveling 3000 miles to attend.

One of my fellow columnists at Sports Collectors Daily is actually flying out to the show as he has never been to the West Coast. Someday I hope to come out to that show as well. We have no really good big shows in DFW and although the small show I set up has been fun this year -- there is nothing like a good old-school show.

OK, tell everyone to get Ted Z's autograph as he is truly a legend then :D