PDA

View Full Version : Abe Attell 1938 card

attellfan4life
08-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Has anyone ever seen this set before? Was wondering if these are super rare never seen this card before Attell is #13 in this set wish the new owner breaks it up and sells as individuals. Anyone have more info on these?

Thanks for any info

RCMcKenzie
08-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Robert, here is an auction with a description of these cards...

www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=155086

attellfan4life
08-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Are they very rare? I have been collecting Abe Attell since 2007 never seen this card on any list. I would love to own one.

RCMcKenzie
08-31-2013, 10:13 PM
My understanding is that it is a foreign issue. Jefferson Burdick catalogued them, so they are not a new discovery. I would guess they are very scarce. Others on here probably can tell you more about them.

Exhibitman
09-01-2013, 02:50 PM
As rare as it gets. I have had them cataloged in my book for a while [I slid them into the book on the pretense that the Philippines were an American territory at the time of issue so they are an "American" issue]. I've seen three groups of these ever. The one in Legendary that was the Dreiers' was the largest ever. There were a handful on eBay some years ago of the workout cards. Also a single or two on eBay. Oddly there also was a wrapper offered several years ago. The explanation in the auction description seems likely. The Japanese kicked the hell out of the Philippines so I am not surprised that a freaking card issue was all but lost.

If anyone wants a type card I was the winner of the lot and have some I am wiling to sell or trade.

attellfan4life
09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Thank you for the info. Looks like it may be a wile before I acquire one.

Exhibitman
09-02-2013, 08:01 AM
I knew I had these images floating around somewhere.

Four of the workout cards:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/American%20Sweets%20exercises.jpeg

The wrapper:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/Phillipines%20Knock%20Out%20wrapper.jpg

Interesting how the wrapper says 140 cards but the card backs say 250 cards. The existence of the wrapper and the few miscellaneous cards that have surfaced suggests to me that the set was issued. I'd love to get a look at the wrapper in person to see if it appears to have been folded mechanically then flattened. Hopefully, some day another group will surface.

RCMcKenzie
09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
The wrapper is really cool. It says 'Manila' on it, so I was saying foreign, but looks like it was meant to be distributed in the USA. I would think there would be many more of these around if they were actually distributed in the USA. I wonder how Burdick knew of these? Adam, I only have the 2nd edition, so I guess I need to upgrade.

aljurgela
09-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Let me know...

Al