PDA

View Full Version : Bad Sandy on Mears recent Auction

isaac2004
08-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Minimum Bid is $10 should tell you even they don't think its real

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=71375&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=1&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=49&seo=1994-2000-Sandy-Koufax-Los-Angeles-Dodgers-Single-Signed-ONL-Coleman-Baseball

Can someone contact them and tell them to take it down

yanks12025
08-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Just curious why you can't take the 5 minutes and email them yourself?? They list their email online.

isaac2004
08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
Just curious why you can't take the 5 minutes and email them yourself?? They list their email online.

I did and noone responded to me, as it just goes to a generic info email.

isaac2004
09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I sent 3 emails to Mears about this lot, no response, and some bidder paid over $100 for it.

Just sad

shelly
09-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Did you call them. Emails to auction houses go to junk file unless it is a bid.:eek:

isaac2004
09-02-2013, 07:29 AM
I did not, for them to list an item without any authentication is unacceptable

Runscott
09-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I did not, for them to list an item without any authentication is unacceptable

Are you saying that all autographs must have a letter from a TPA?!?

If there is no COA, then it's authenticated by the auction house. Print a pdf file of the listing from the online catalog - that is your COA. Documentation of that type from RR, Mears or Lelands is more credible than anything from a TPA. But they all make mistakes.

isaac2004
09-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Are you saying that all autographs must have a letter from a TPA?!?

If there is no COA, then it's authenticated by the auction house. Print a pdf file of the listing from the online catalog - that is your COA. Documentation of that type from RR, Mears or Lelands is more credible than anything from a TPA. But they all make mistakes.

Mears has JSA issue an auction LOA for thier lots (as you can see for most of th other listings). Why this one does not have one is interesting.

shelly
09-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Why dont you call and ask:confused:

Runscott
09-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Poof. it's gone.

I don't know - looking at other Mears autographs, I see what you are saying. They generally have at least a Mears COA, so it's kind of weird if it has nothing.

Leon
09-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Deleted since Troy posted the identical message below this one. Glad you finally got in the system Troy :). Sorry for the hassles too.

MEARSAUCTIONS
09-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Just got back from a very short and much needed 2 day break. Our recent auction ended on Saturday, and I was made aware of the issue with the Sandy Koufax baseball. I did not receive an email regarding this baseball during the course of the auction. Our admin email is info@mearsonlineauctions.com , and I will double check to see why the email did not arrive.

The baseball was submitted earlier this year, I believe January or March. It was labeled for the auction, which includes consignor number, item number (used for photography), and the date of the auction.

Our staff often times builds the auction lot which includes photography and description before the items are reviewed by JSA. For all autographed lots, we have JSA review the signatures, unless it has a PSA letter. In very rare instances (which does not apply regarding the Sandy Koufax baseball), we issue a MEARS LOA. The MEARS LOA is reserved for items I obtained myself, which I will support, the future opinion of either PSA or JSA, or if an item was of an obscure celebrity that JSA offers no opinion of. Typically this may be an obscure opera singer or rodeo star, whereas the authenticators do not have an exemplar.

While under review, JSA rejected the Sandy Koufax baseball. It was immediately removed from the auction. For whatever reason, it was not returned to the consignor.

As part of an effort to “Fall Clean” the MEARS offices, we “flipped” several lots of old, unclaimed merchandise into the August auction. The majority of those lots were started with opening bids at $5 - $10, and it was our attempt to clean house.

The process of flipping is quite easy from an administrative view point. Since the lot was written and photographed, our office administrator in charge of cleaning up moved this and the rest of the unsold lots into the current auction. It is a simple point and click, and items that have already been processed can be moved into a current auction.

Since it wasn’t returned at the time of the original sale, it was included with the other odds and ends in the August sale. This explains why a JSA letter was not noted in the description. We add those after approval, and since it wasn’t included in the original listing, it wasn’t noted in the recently completed auction. The photo and original write-up was moved over, as is in its original state.

This was a mistake that should not have happened, and I take full responsibility. Once I was made aware that the ball was included in the sale, I immediately amended the winning bidders invoice and removed the baseball from the sale. It was never the intention of MEARS Auctions to offer this baseball.

As our auction policy, we use JSA to look at all of our lots and issue their auction LOA with all items that have passed their inspection. I want to thank the net 54 board for bringing this to my attention and allowing me to fix this mistake. Again, I apologize on behalf of MEARS Auctions for letting this item get through. If somebody would have submitted this 10 years from now to PSA or JSA and it would have been rejected and brought to my attention, I would have immediately issued a refund.

Thanks for the heads up,

Troy R. Kinunen (MEARS Auctions)

3and2
09-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Tony,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop...

Tella27
11-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Troy,
I know you sponsor the forum so I'm not trying to knock you but it seems like a lot of things get past you and your staff that aren't genuine. I know on Gameuseduniverse there are a few threads about items that were bad - each time there is a long reason posted to how this happened and always is a "staff issue" or something. I'm sure other members might feel different but for me your authentication is on the same level these days as GAI. When you a trusted name its on you to do your do-diligence not just list something because your a trusted name. These mistakes are inexcusable and it brings up the question of how much bad stuff is floating around with a MEARS coa attached to it.