PDA

View Full Version : Barney Dreyfuss autograph

Leon
08-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Hey Guys
This will be in our upcoming auction. I have compared it to several Dreyfuss autographs but I am not an autograph guy. It comes from the estate of Bob Harmon, along with several pictures and other items. I think the provenance is pretty tight. What do ya'll think of the signature?

Runscott
08-26-2013, 09:31 AM
It looks good and beautiful. I want it.

Mr. Zipper
08-26-2013, 09:36 AM
You sure that's not printed on the card?

ATP
08-26-2013, 09:43 AM
From what I can see, it looks printed to me as well. Especially since it is in the similar ink tone as some of the printing on the card.

David Atkatz
08-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Printed.

Leon
08-26-2013, 09:57 AM
That is why I came here guys :). It does look printed under magnification. I hadn't looked at it under magnification until now. I know this is sort of a long shot but if you compare that writing (even though printed) to the one above it, and not that it might matter, but the Mrs. Harmon signature looks to be in the same hand? Could Barney have signed Harmons wifes name? Or is that wishful thinking?

ATP
08-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Could be. Maybe someone has a couple ALS examples so we could see more handwriting other than just the printed one.

David Atkatz
08-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I've got an ALS (to Jesse Tannehill, giving him his release so he could join the 1903 Highlanders). I'll try to get a scan up later this week.

Runscott
08-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Could Barney have signed Harmons wifes name? Or is that wishful thinking?

Sure looks possible.

mighty bombjack
08-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Sure looks possible.

I would agree and, given that Dreyfuss likely controlled and distributed these passes himself, I would say it is not only possible but probable.

Leon
08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
I would agree and, given that Dreyfuss likely controlled and distributed these passes himself, I would say it is not only possible but probable.

Thanks guys. Let's see if David can post something too but I already had another lurker, a professional autograph guy, tell me he thought the writing is Barney's also.....Kind of weird, no Dreyfuss autograph but looking like some of his writing anyway....thanks again and any other info is appreciated too. It will be a neat, albeit probably inexpensive lot, in our auction.

Runscott
08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Leon, I bet it does well - his handwriting, along with the facsimile is a good Dreyfuss substitute while deciding which arm or leg to cut off for a real one.

drcy
08-26-2013, 04:04 PM
If you're right handed, I recommend you cut of the left arm. Quicker.

Or if you're queasy about doing yourself, there's a nest of rats in my back alley.

Leon: "Personal check is fine."

jgmp123
08-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Leon,

When is the auction? I would love to own this piece!

Leon
08-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Leon,

When is the auction? I would love to own this piece!

Hi James
It starts Sept 9th and runs through the 21st. The piece is already "lotted" up with more from the Bob Harmon estate. The main thing is the pass though...The other things, mostly pictures, probably have nominal value so it won't be out of reach, for anyone, if someone wants it bad enough.

David Atkatz
08-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Here's the Dreyfuss ALS I promised. It's affixed to a page of Jesse Tannehill's personal scrapbook.
Looking at the upper-case "H" (Dreyfuss got Tannehill's middle initial wrong!) and the upper case "R," I'd say the card was definitely filled-out by Dreyfuss.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/dreyfusals_zps37aaf48f.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/datkatz/media/dreyfusals_zps37aaf48f.jpg.html)