PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Cobb back...

pencil1974
08-22-2013, 01:15 PM
I purchased this on eBay a few weeks ago and just got it back from SGC today. Now I usually don't buy Cobb items too often (as I'm more a Ruth/Gehrig guy) but thought the price was a little too good to pass on. So my question is do I keep it or sell it?

I could use the extra cash and I looked it up in the Standard Catalog pricing but it seems to be way off from what these actually go for. Catalog for this is around $900 but I have seen VG 3's going for between $1600-1800+.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

(Added back photo, sorry it is a little blurry)

kmac32
08-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Great card. I would keep it if I collected them.

Jlighter
08-22-2013, 06:22 PM
When I saw the title, I thought you had a Cobb back "t206".

h2oya311
08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Brad - you outbid me on that one...the seller kept relisting at lower and lower prices --- actually, did he end up putting a BIN on his final relist? I can't remember. Either way, you got a heck of a deal if it came back as a 55!! Very nice!! I haven't checked the POP reports on that card, but it may be the finest example in the hobby!!

Sell if it doesn't fit your collection. It's that simple.

pencil1974
08-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Sorry Jake. lol didn't mean to confuse.

Derek it is the highest with SGC. PSA has a 5 and a 7 but third best in the hobby on a card like this is still pretty good. It was a regular auction only one other person bid but I sort of assumed it would go a lot higher than it did. It's one of those that I don't know if I hold onto it for a few years too and right now I'm in flux with my collection. I think I want one thing one month then it switches the next. I'm becoming a bi-polar collector.

h2oya311
08-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Yeah - I went back to my eBay "didn't win" section and saw that it was me...great price. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing you did...buy, submit to SGC, and consider selling. I certainly didn't think it would grade so high and wa only partially concerned about possible trimming (the edges were slightly slanted vs. the image).

Regardless, great card!!

ullmandds
08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Awesome buy...and a beautiful card. Personally I'd love to have it in my collection!!!

pencil1974
08-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys.

Sorry Derek but at least I know I was bidding against a good person and member I just wish you had not bid so I could have gotten it cheaper, lol. I had my concerns too and contacted the seller to express them before I bought it. I wasn't as concerned about trimming as much as being authentic.

In this day and age you never know and trust me I'm a graphic designer for some of the largest companies in the world so I know every photoshop trick you can do (which I don't do on my cards that I sell because its just morally wrong). Any way they agreed that if came back fake I would get a full refund so I figured what did I have to lose. But at that price I could not resist I just figured I would get sniped like I usually do and move on. lol

Jlighter
08-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Sorry Jake. lol didn't mean to confuse.

Don't worry about it, definitely wasn't too disappointed.:)