PDA

View Full Version : Goose Goslin signing question

Exhibitman
08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Anyone ever heard of Goslin signing the backs of items instead of their fronts?

toyman55
08-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I have his autograph on the front of his 1935 baseball game board.

MooseDog
08-21-2013, 04:57 PM
I think he signed the back of HOF plaques pretty frequently.

dgo71
08-21-2013, 10:59 PM
He hated the image of him on his plaque and almost always signed HOF postcards on the back. A front signed Goslin plaque is exceedingly scarce.

RichardSimon
08-22-2013, 06:52 AM
I think he signed the back of HOF plaques pretty frequently.

Absolutely correct and almost all the time would even be a better description.

tazdmb
08-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Wow, you guys are not joking about rare, only one I could find:

http://oct08.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=9594

Exhibitman
08-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Wow. I can see why he didn't care for the image.

brooklynbaseball
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Wow, you guys are not joking about rare, only one I could find:

http://oct08.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=9594

Interesting story about this card. I was the high bidder on the card shown. I was alerted by a fellow collector to the fact that the card was originally authenticated by psa/dna but when the seller sent it back in to be slabbed, they turned it down, even though their sticker was attached (see description of "tape mark" on the card). Psa/dna paid the owner 2k due to their perceived error. The card was then authenticated and slabbed by jsa, and sold through H&S. There was a little too much of a story for me to comfortably own the card, and H&S graciously allowed me out of the deal. It is the only front signed "authenticated" card of Mr Goslins I've ever seen. I do however have 2 back signed plaques in my collection.

Hankphenom
08-24-2013, 03:30 PM
The Goose's plaque is actually not bad, as far as HOF plaque artwork is concerned. I've never understood why they couldn't get better artists to do them. Most are ugly and unrepresentative, and many are little better than hideous caricatures, especially some of the black players. The earlier ones were better.