PDA

View Full Version : More NCAA silliness.

steve B
08-19-2013, 12:40 PM
http://www.dnj.com/article/20130818/SPORTS/308180046/Red-shirt-White-Blue-Marine-fighting-eligibility-play-MTSU-season?nclick_check=1

A season of Military club football and he loses a year? And would have lost two because the "season " overlapped two NCAA seasons?

So a few games of football in a setting that's "organized" according to a rather tight defenition makes a guy who hasn't played in college inelegible?

Heck, I have 4 years of organized softball, if I went back to college I'd be entirely inelegible according to the rule. (Not that a lack of any serious athletic ability wouldn't also make me inelegible)

It's hard to see it as anything but ridiclous, when they make players inelegible and strip titles for stuff like a free tattoo or being paid for autographs - basically the players own labor- but allow some schools to make millions from the football program. They should just admit they're a minor league, let the kids play and maybe get a few perks or some money from autographs and get on with it.

It's coming back to me why I don't care much about college football.

Steve B

SmokyBurgess
08-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Is it just my imagination....has college football and pro football morphed into the same game??

As a kid both games looked totally different. Without the team names and the day they are playing, I find it harder and harder to tell.

drcy
08-20-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't think there should be these Division I sports at universities. I think college sports are fine, and am not per se against athletic scholarships, but think university sports should be like Division II and III. Universities should not be in the professional sports business.