PDA

View Full Version : 1949 Indians point-of-sale die-cut wooden sign

Rob D.
08-18-2013, 03:54 PM
About 15 years ago I bought the sign on the left in the photo below. It's made of a pegboard type wood (without the holes) and measures about 18 by 32 inches.

The "Welcome Home Champion" and "First Game - Detroit / Fri. - April 22" dates it to 1949. I've always thought these were made to hang at either the ticket windows at Cleveland Stadium or at retailers that sold Indians tickets (or both) during the weeks leading up to the season when the team was in spring training. This has been one of my favorite pieces, and until today I had never seen or heard of another.

I did a double-take today when I saw the one on the right. Not until I got it home did I realize that the one I already had has Chief Wahoo looking to his left, as opposed to the new one, which has him looking right. Nice pair of bookends -- at least in my world.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ineedanap/otherphotos/signs.jpg

3-2-count
08-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Rob those are friggin awesome. A man cave dream pick up!

Scott Garner
08-18-2013, 04:52 PM
About 15 years ago I bought the sign on the left in the photo below. It's made of a pegboard type wood (without the holes) and measures about 18 by 32 inches.

The "Welcome Home Champion" and "First Game - Detroit / Fri. - April 22" dates it to 1949. I've always thought these were made to hang at either the ticket windows at Cleveland Stadium or at retailers that sold Indians tickets (or both) during the weeks leading up to the season when the team was in spring training. This has been one of my favorite pieces, and until today I had never seen or heard of another.

I did a double-take today when I saw the one on the right. Not until I got it home did I realize that the one I already had has Chief Wahoo looking to his left, as opposed to the new one, which has him looking right. Nice pair of bookends -- at least in myworld

http://photos.imageevent.com/ineedanap/otherphotos/signs.jpg

Sweet pickup, Rob! Congrats! :D

deebro041
08-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Great pieces!!! Looks like the one on the right is gripping his sign extra hard as he is white knuckled.:p

ksfarmboy
08-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Rob, those are outstanding! Not many pieces make me go wow but these do. Great finds.

Rob D.
08-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Rob, those are outstanding! Not many pieces make me go wow but these do. Great finds.

Thanks. If only they were for the Wichita Indians, right?

Jaybird
08-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Great pickups. Wow. Did you find them local?

Rob D.
08-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Both were found locally (northeast Ohio), albeit 15 years apart.

ksfarmboy
08-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks. If only they were for the Wichita Indians, right?

I don't know, I think I want a pair of those even though they are from Cleveland. I really like the odd ball, rare items. I'll just have to settle for these. If only they were from Cleveland right? :)

Rob D.
08-18-2013, 08:14 PM
If only they were from Cleveland right? :)

When I first saw those in one of your previous posts, that was the first thing I thought.

ksfarmboy
08-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Can you tell how these were displayed? On mine you can see where some type of stand was attached to the back.

Rob D.
08-18-2013, 08:42 PM
On the one I brought home today, there's some framing on the back to give it both extra support and make it easier to hang. On the one I already owned, nothing like that, but there is a hole at the top that might have been used to hang it.

slidekellyslide
08-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Clint, I'll take that one with the "vs Lincoln Athletics" on it. :D

Great items fellas! Would love to find something like that for my hometown team.

ksfarmboy
08-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Clint, I'll take that one with the "vs Lincoln Athletics" on it. :D

Great items fellas! Would love to find something like that for my hometown team.

Dan, I've been trying to find some old plywood like this so I could make you something similar. So far I've been unsuccessful but I'll find some eventually.

CobbvLajoie1910
08-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Rob those are friggin awesome. A man cave dream pick up!

+1. Congrats, Rob. The color in your recent pickup is incredible (given its age).