PDA

View Full Version : T206 tannehill with f stamped on back

tuckr1
08-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Just picked up a tannehill t206 for $15 with a old English F stamped on back ?? Thought I read about these stamps being from a famous estate ??

Any information on this card would be great

Thanks tucker

scooter729
08-18-2013, 11:21 AM
There are some which are believed to originate from F. Scott Fitzgerald - do you have a scan of yours?

drcy
08-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Some have said F. Scott Fitzgerald had a childhood collection he stamped.

tuckr1
08-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Any one know what they are worth ??

wazoo
08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Please post a scan and we can all help you better.

RCMcKenzie
08-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Obaks have been found with the stamp, so based on that, my opinion is that it is unlikely that Fitzgerald stamped these unless he stamped them just before he died. He only lived in California at the very end of his life. It's my guess that if these were owned by Fitzgerald, then they were stamped as an estate stamp by an executor.

The stamped cards are very popular with collectors ans sell for a significant premium.

tuckr1
08-18-2013, 12:48 PM
This is a sweet caporal back , I will post pic when I get home

tuckr1
08-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Back pic coming

tuckr1
08-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Here's back pic

caramelcard
08-18-2013, 03:07 PM
You have the right stamp.

Rob

Jlighter
08-18-2013, 08:10 PM
If you are interested in selling, let me know.

caramelcard
08-18-2013, 08:58 PM
One of mine was in Lionel Carter's T206 set. Not sure how long he had it, but I'm guessing quite a while. At least we know these were most likely circulating with the stamp decades ago.

Rob

RCMcKenzie
08-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Rob, that is interesting that Lionel Carter owned a card with the F stamp. I wonder if he owned it because he believed it belonged to Fitzgerald, or if it just happened to turn up among the cards in his collection? I dug around a little, but could not find much more about the stamp.

Here was the thread in June where the Obak came up along with the earlier thread with the theory about the daughter and the story of the sale.

www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169794

www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89645

Here is a site that lists the F back as "unclassified"

www.thegreatt206backstampproject.yolasite.com

mrvster
08-19-2013, 05:17 AM
real; deal hopefully!! I have one that took me years to acquire:)
congrats:)

tuckr1
08-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Well another interesting fact is that this card is a topps 2002 206 insert card !!! Not sure whether to keep it in the topps card or cut it out???

T206Collector
08-19-2013, 07:13 AM
http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1207542468/F-+Scott+Fitzgerald

Howe’s Hunter
08-19-2013, 07:35 AM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=159273

although I doubt I could afford it after having just moved him to grad school this weekend...

tuckr1
08-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone for all the info, super intersting!!!

Was wondering if I should keep it in the Topps 2002 206 holder or cut it out, do you think having an F stamp in a 2002 206 is more rare then having one byitself??

Just curious

Thanks Tucker

Howe’s Hunter
08-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Some on the board have mentioned collecting the Topps version and trying to create a set. Others (like me) would collect the T206 itself, and not want the other holder that tells me the Topps has determined this to be a T206. I would hope I would already know that.

Just depends on who your final audience/end user/purchaser might be after.

T206Collector
08-19-2013, 09:50 AM
I've never really heard a compelling argument for cutting these out versus keeping them in the Topps holder. No way the Topps holder diminishes the card's value. And it is possible the Topps holder augments it. If money is the only issue, then the choice is clear. Aesthetics are another thing entirely...

tuckr1
08-19-2013, 09:55 AM
What are these F stamps selling for, any recent Auctions with an F stamped T206??

wazoo
08-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Does this guy have anything to do with the author of the Great Gatsby? I was just on Amazon.com looking for the Great Gatsby because it is one of the books I have to read during the school year and the author is F. Scott Fitzgerald. Any correlations?

conor912
08-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Does this guy have anything to do with the author of the Great Gatsby? I was just on Amazon.com looking for the Great Gatsby because it is one of the books I have to read during the school year and the author is F. Scott Fitzgerald. Any correlations?

Same guy. Amazing book....one of my favorites.

Howe’s Hunter
08-19-2013, 10:56 AM
What are these F stamps selling for, any recent Auctions with an F stamped T206??

A board member had one on ebay recently with a BIN, but didn't get any offers he thought were worthy.

Sean
08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Yes Waz, this is the same F. Scott Fitzgerald that we are discussing.

By the way, I had to read Gatsby my junior year also (1973). Some things don't change I guess.

Congrats on the Factory 649 pick up.

wazoo
08-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes Waz, this is the same F. Scott Fitzgerald that we are discussing.

By the way, I had to read Gatsby my junior year also (1973). Some things don't change I guess.

Congrats on the Factory 649 pick up.

That's crazy! I can't wait to show my class this. Thanks for all the information.

And thanks Sean!

tuckr1
08-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Anyone know about how many if the fitz cards there are in circulation???

ullmandds
08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
noone knows! if you collect unusual t206 nuances...keep it...otherwise sell it for a nice profit!

RCMcKenzie
08-19-2013, 04:44 PM
I have not seen any evidence to support that these were Fitzgerald's cards. Everyone seems to refer back to JC's cryptic post in April 2008 where he stated that someone told him that Harold Shigley bought over 1000 baseball cards from the estate sale.
Dr. Cy's original response to JC's post was , "Is this an April Fools joke?" and the answer was simply, "No, it's true!" with no further evidence.

I would like to know if these were owned by Fitzgerald. Maybe someone can find the old hobby publication that JC said he thought might have written an article about the subject. Otherwise, as it stands, it all sounds like a mythical tale like Noah gathering up the animals 2 x 2.

tuckr1
08-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the input, I am trying to find out as much about these cards as possible, new to collecting T206 cards

Thank Tucker

noone knows! if you collect unusual t206 nuances...keep it...otherwise sell it for a nice profit!

ullmandds
08-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Tucker...i think that it is "accepted" that these were owned by FSF is all youre gonna find...best case scenario...and that there is fairly strong demand. If debunked youre left with a t206 with a mark?!

peterose4hof
08-20-2013, 08:00 AM
I have not seen any evidence to support that these were Fitzgerald's cards. Everyone seems to refer back to JC's cryptic post in April 2008 where he stated that someone told him that Harold Shigley bought over 1000 baseball cards from the estate sale.
Dr. Cy's original response to JC's post was , "Is this an April Fools joke?" and the answer was simply, "No, it's true!" with no further evidence.

I would like to know if these were owned by Fitzgerald. Maybe someone can find the old hobby publication that JC said he thought might have written an article about the subject. Otherwise, as it stands, it all sounds like a mythical tale like (Insert fictitious, non-religious reference here).

I'm sure you didn't mean to offend anyone so I took the liberty of fixing this post for you.

jhs5120
08-20-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm sure you didn't mean to offend anyone so I took the liberty of fixing this post for you.

+1

RCMcKenzie
08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Chris and Jason, It was not my intention to offend. I should have used a different subject for my mythical analogy like the events surrounding Jupiter's daughter Fortuna or some other non-religious character.

My only goal was to understand how an Obak card was found in a collection that was supposedly stamped in the rural Northeast.

Peter is saying it is "accepted", but would SGC put "Fitzgerald collection" on the label if you requested it?

From the story, the thousands of F stamp cards were re-released into the collecting world in the 1960's. If that is the case I would expect to see many more of these circulating around. I would also expect the veteran dealers from the 1960's to know every detail of the Fitzgerald stamp.

peterose4hof
08-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Chris and Jason, It was not my intention to offend. I should have used a different subject for my mythical analogy like the events surrounding Jupiter's daughter Fortuna or some other non-religious character.

My only goal was to understand how an Obak card was found in a collection that was supposedly stamped in the rural Northeast.

Peter is saying it is "accepted", but would SGC put "Fitzgerald collection" on the label if you requested it?

From the story, the thousands of F stamp cards were re-released into the collecting world in the 1960's. If that is the case I would expect to see many more of these circulating around. I would also expect the veteran dealers from the 1960's to know every detail of the Fitzgerald stamp.

No problem. I figured you weren't trying to be malicious. That's why I responded in the kindest way I could think of.

arc2q
08-20-2013, 11:30 AM

It is quite possible the number of examples of the F-stamp is in the thousands. Most likely they reside in collections without the owner realizing the potential provenance and, thus, not avertising or discussing it. I have no idea if the stamp is really Fitzgerald's or not...but I want very much for it to be true. I have one I picked up cheap years ago with no idea what the stamp meant. It was not advertised as anything special and I thought it was just a beater with a mark on it. Now that their is an inkling of merit to the story of the stamp's provenance I hope the hobby can collectively do the research to prove it one way or the other. I don't care about the value so much as the unique story behind the card. I am sure there are many hundreds of others out there that have them but have no idea what it means until more research is conducted.

But I would disagree that we should expect the details to be known because these were released to the hobby in the 60s. Clearly knowledge about the T206 set was sorely and surprisingly spartan for many decades despite the prevalence of examples in circulation. Not having an explanation already does not conclusively disprove the theory that these came from F. Scott Fitzgerald -- it merely adds to the mystery.

wazoo
08-20-2013, 12:33 PM

+1

brianp-beme
08-20-2013, 02:11 PM
RC brings up some valid points and is in my opinion justified in throwing doubt into the provenance of these cards. It would be very informative to trace back the origins of the F. Scott Fitzgerald connection to these cards. Someone with access to old hobby publications, get to it!

I am the fellow that has the Obak with the 'F' stamp, and the one that originally posted the somewhat troubling issues that it raises. If indeed these cards were FSF's, then to me the excecutor of his estate stamping the cards makes the most sense, with the Obak being a card he picked up later in life (I imagine Obaks were floating around the West Coast like cheap tabasco sauce in the late 30's and early 40's, and he snagged it because it reminded him of his childhood collecting).

Of course if I were a little more devious, I could have held back knowledge of this mystery FSF card because of the other, more traditional, T206 that I own with this stamp. Foolish mortal.

Brian

tuckr1
08-21-2013, 07:48 AM
So whats the scoop on the Obak "F" stamp?? were Obak backs only regional, and therefore F. Scott couldn;t obtain one until older, so the theory is when F. Scott passed someone from his estate marked the back of his card collection with the F?? Are there anyother cards other then the T206 with the F stamp??

RC brings up some valid points and is in my opinion justified in throwing doubt into the provenance of these cards. It would be very informative to trace back the origins of the F. Scott Fitzgerald connection to these cards. Someone with access to old hobby publications, get to it!

I am the fellow that has the Obak with the 'F' stamp, and the one that originally posted the somewhat troubling issues that it raises. If indeed these cards were FSF's, then to me the excecutor of his estate stamping the cards makes the most sense, with the Obak being a card he picked up later in life (I imagine Obaks were floating around the West Coast like cheap tabasco sauce in the late 30's and early 40's, and he snagged it because it reminded him of his childhood collecting).

Of course if I were a little more devious, I could have held back knowledge of this mystery FSF card because of the other, more traditional, T206 that I own with this stamp. Foolish mortal.

Brian

packs
08-21-2013, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't think it would be impossible for him to acquire one. If he collected as a kid, he could have returned and picked one up somewhere and marked it for his collection. Not too sure about distribution though. I suppose it could be possible that Obaks were sold on the East Coast as a company would want to spread itself over a wide market. But things were more regional then.