PDA

View Full Version : Photo identification for the 1961 Topps series checklists

Spike
08-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Spent awhile researching the photos from 1961 Topps series 1-7 checklists to connect them with game situations and would appreciate a fact check of this post.

Topps Baseball Checklists and 1961 Series 1 to Series 7 Photo Identification (http://number5typecollection.blogspot.com/2013/08/topps-baseball-checklists-and-1961.html)

Most or all take place at Wrigley, so maybe a Chicago fan can pinpoint things better than I can! Thanks in advance for help, will update (and credit) any improvements in the post.

ALR-bishop
08-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Cool project Mathew.

FYI only --there are variations to the 61 CLs.

On CL 1 the names can be even with or slightly below the boxes and #s

On CL 2 the word Checklist on the front can be red or yellow, and on the yellows the back number can be in a black or white circle

On CL 3, the number 4 on the player on the left either shows or does not show

On CL 4 the copyright on the back starts at 336 or 339

On CL 5 The Topps Baseball on front is yellow or black, and the backs have an ad or not

On CL 6 # 440 is Louis or Luis

CL 7--there is either grass or no grass under the umpires left foot

nolemmings
08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for researching this, as '61 was my favorite set when I collected post-war. I have to disagree with your assessment of the game depicted in Series 3 however, or at least the play you described. Spatially I don't see anyway that's a rundown between first and second, so unless Santo made it to second and overran that bag, that's not it. As importantly, it looks to me like it would be the pitcher in the foreground going to back up third--if so, that is not O'Toole, who was left-handed.

Spike
08-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Agreed, that Santo pickoff game doesn't match well and a right-handed pitcher backing up third would work better.

I went through all the Reds games at Wrigley with righty pitchers and didn't find anything useful, so play-by-play might not've thought it worth recording the rundown. Recognizing a player or two (if that's SS, 3B, and P in frame) would go a long way.

Spike
08-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Cool project Mathew.

FYI only --there are variations to the 61 CLs.

Thanks Al, I'll include those details.

Also noting that Topps used NY-based action photos for 1961 NFL and NHL checklists following this design debut in 1961 baseball.

Spike
08-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Made a better ID for Series 3, thanks to both Al's note about a "4 visible" variation (it's Reds #14, 3B Puddin' Head Jones) and Todd's note about context. I'm more confident that's August 30, with Don Zimmer caught trying to advance to third on a single.

UPDATE: Series 3 is August 30 (http://number5typecollection.blogspot.com/2013/08/topps-baseball-checklists-and-1961.html)

toppcat
08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Great post on these Matthew. They must have picked up a series of game shots along the way from a friendly photographer. Don't think they would have been daily newspaper related in color back then but maybe a Sporting News connection?

nolemmings
08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Upon further review, I do not believe Series 2 depicts the action you state either (sorry). In that game, you note the Cubs CF going back to his position--that player is white (looks like Ashburn) and George Altman played CF that entire game for the Cubs, with Ashburn in LF.

It may have just been a pop-up to Zimmer or a can of corn to the OF where the runner simply elected to hold his base. That would make it really tough to pin down.

hangman62
08-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Spike,
very cool research...interesting

brob28
08-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Matthew a fun read, thanks for posting.

Spike
08-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Upon further review, I do not believe Series 2 depicts the action you state either (sorry). In that game, you note the Cubs CF going back to his position--that player is white (looks like Ashburn) and George Altman played CF that entire game for the Cubs, with Ashburn in LF.

It may have just been a pop-up to Zimmer or a can of corn to the OF where the runner simply elected to hold his base. That would make it really tough to pin down.

Ouch, good point on the pop-up, and I see what you mean about the camera angle being from first base and not behind home.

If the play IS a double, though, it opens up others I discounted, since play-by-play recorded them as LF or left-center. Getting a read on the Braves runner uniform # would make all the difference, but I'll take a shot anyway and update the post.

Spike
08-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Great post on these Matthew. They must have picked up a series of game shots along the way from a friendly photographer. Don't think they would have been daily newspaper related in color back then but maybe a Sporting News connection?

Likely so, and it sure would be nice to know more about Topps 1960s photography. They were all over the place at times, these checklists included. :)

nolemmings
08-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Good work Matthew.

Now if you really want a head scratcher, take another stab at the Series 6 checklist, with the ducking/hands-protecting-head runner guy. According to a list of Cubs' all-time uniform numbers, there was no player wearing number four in either the 1960 or 1961 season. The number 4 was worn by either of two coaches in 1960--Charlie Root or Vedie Himsl. Why either one of them would be on the field involved in the play is beyond me, but if so it may be recounted as an oddity in some news/sports story. If #4 is wearing a glove (looks like it), then I suppose it could be utility IF Johnny Goryl from 1959. It might also not be Wrigley Field, although it looks like it and all the other checklist photos seem to come from there. Very strange!

JollyElm
08-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, time to throw a monkey wrench into things.
When I see the checklist in question ("ducking/hands-protecting-head runner guy"), my immediate thoughts stay in Chicago, but they wander down to the south side. It's possible that shot depicts the White Sox and third basemen Gene Freese, number 4.

Spike
08-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Well, time to throw a monkey wrench into things.
When I see the checklist in question ("ducking/hands-protecting-head runner guy"), my immediate thoughts stay in Chicago, but they wander down to the south side. It's possible that shot depicts the White Sox and third basemen Gene Freese, number 4.

Against the Wrigley checklist pattern, I think you're on the right track with Gene Freese and the White Sox. The home uniform looks too white for CHC and the opponent jersey's much closer to NYY or DET road gray.

Checked all 1960 DET and NYY games at Comiskey and updated the post with my best guess, Yogi Berra being thrown out at second, behind the photographed runner, who would be Bobby Richardson.

1961 Topps checklists, Series 6 updated (http://number5typecollection.blogspot.com/2013/08/topps-baseball-checklists-and-1961.html)

D.P.Johnson
08-16-2013, 05:39 PM
Interesting read. You're a very good writer Matthew.

Spike
08-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Interesting read. You're a very good writer Matthew.

Thanks, Dan! It helps to have all these people of experience here at Net54 to bounce ideas off of.