PDA

View Full Version : Memory Lane auctions

JoeyF1981
08-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Just wanted to get peoples opinions on Memory Lane Auctions. Ive personally never dealt with them before, but wanted to know if there a reputable company to deal with as far as buying from them

ksabet
08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Pandora's Box

bobbyw8469
08-12-2013, 05:16 PM
They got some nice stuff, that's for sure!

MattyC
08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Surprised no zoom though on some high dollar cards. Guess it's just the preview and we can enlarge when it goes live. I have bought from them before with no problem.

Forever Young
08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I have never had any issues with them at all. I have purchased primarily photos from them and they were a class act in every transaction; great cust service, items as described, fast shipping ect.

botn
08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
I always love posting on this topic. I can only suggest you do a search on our site about this company. Also if he calls you afterwards to donate any money, hang up. Outside of our site, however, you might find this article interesting http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/03/namericancharitable.shtm

Greg

sb1
08-12-2013, 06:13 PM
They are a reputable auction house with a good track record in the hobby and will deliver on any item you may win. The images I am fairly sure will be enlargeable once the auction goes live.

Should you want to factor in any of the other diatribe offered, that is up to you, but if you are only interested in the here and now and buying cards they are offering you will be fine.

Forever Young
08-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Peter_Spaeth
08-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I always love posting on this topic. I can only suggest you do a search on our site about this company. Also if he calls you afterwards to donate any money, hang up. Outside of our site, however, you might find this article interesting http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/03/namericancharitable.shtm

Greg

This link is more directly pertinent to JP's case with the FTC.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/05/jpcohen.shtm

drmondobueno
08-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Here is a little more Net54 history...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=85160

Keith

Leon
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
I have bought from them numerous times with no issue at all. I have never heard of any situations that were proven negative against JP or his company, while in the hobby. I would buy with confidence.

margoaepi
08-12-2013, 09:06 PM
I've posted about this before, but its quite applicable here. I won an autographed card from them, but they had not disclosed that there was a PSA sticker on the back (c'mon, why would ANYONE DO THAT!?!). I called them up, they acknowledged their mistake, and they promptly refunded my $$ and covered return shipping. Class act all the way.

botn
08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I have bought from them numerous times with no issue at all. I have never heard of any situations that were proven negative against JP or his company, while in the hobby. I would buy with confidence.

Sounds like a candidate for a banner ad! :eek: I guess you do not recall when we talked about the recerting of the PSA holders of cards sold in one auction so he could resell the same cards in a later auction, to name one "situation" and there have been others raised here.

He will ship a card if you win it. I will grant you that. However it is bit shocking for both you and Scott, two of the most ethical guys in the hobby, to toss your support towards a guy with JPs rep. He is the face for Memory Lane but his name is not listed as an officer of the corporation and no contact information for him, yet it is clearly his company. Any idea why that might be?

wonkaticket
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I have never heard of any situations that were proven negative against JP or his company, while in the hobby. I would buy with confidence.

Is the porcelain Easter egg hobby you also are into Leon? :)

Because even I can name a few "situations" in the baseball card hobby. Not here to rag on JP but I couldn't say there are no issues known. Heck I'd have a hard time saying that about 99% of the hobby's players.

John

Zach Wheat
08-12-2013, 10:06 PM
I have not had any issues with Memory Lane.

Z Wheat

CMIZ5290
08-13-2013, 06:07 AM
I have had great experiences with them in auctions, and buying from them direct...

Leon
08-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Sounds like a candidate for a banner ad! :eek: I guess you do not recall when we talked about the recerting of the PSA holders of cards sold in one auction so he could resell the same cards in a later auction, to name one "situation" and there have been others raised here.

He will ship a card if you win it. I will grant you that. However it is bit shocking for both you and Scott, two of the most ethical guys in the hobby, to toss your support towards a guy with JPs rep. He is the face for Memory Lane but his name is not listed as an officer of the corporation and no contact information for him, yet it is clearly his company. Any idea why that might be?

Because, speaking for myself, even though what JP did outside of the hobby seems pretty bad when reading everything, I have spent quite a bit of time talking to him in the past few years. I don't get bad vibes or a bad gut feeling. I get a feeling of a hobbyist that cares about the hobby and is a positive influence in it. I think he is a good guy that made some mistakes. I tend to give folks a second chance once they have paid their dues. Others won't be as forgiving and I understand that too. We each have to live our lives the way we see fit. I try to focus on positive and learn from the mistakes I have made. I see that in JP too.

botn
08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Because, speaking for myself, even though what JP did outside of the hobby seems pretty bad when reading everything, I have spent quite a bit of time talking to him in the past few years. I don't get bad vibes or a bad gut feeling. I get a feeling of a hobbyist that cares about the hobby and is a positive influence in it. I think he is a good guy that made some mistakes. I tend to give folks a second chance once they have paid their dues. Others won't be as forgiving and I understand that too. We each have to live our lives the way we see fit. I try to focus on positive and learn from the mistakes I have made. I see that in JP too.

Not to argue, but Leon I have heard you say/write "I get a feeling of a hobbyist that cares about the hobby and is a positive influence in it." about everyone in the hobby. Anyway, not sure how many deals you have done with him outside of buying a card in his auction and having him ship it to you. It took just one for me about 6 or 7 years ago to see a very greedy, unethical person who has only his best interest--the same type of qualities it would take to be part of ripping off innocent people for $50,000,000. I have no idea if he runs his auction business above board but when I see those type of qualities in a person that seem to be who they are, I think I prefer to stay clear, regardless of how much sweet talking they would do to show how much they care.

Getting the cards recerted so they cannot be traced when being relisted in a future auction does not bother you? So, hypothetically speaking, where do you stand on say...money laundering?

Leon
08-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Not to argue, but Leon I have heard you say/write "I get a feeling of a hobbyist that cares about the hobby and is a positive influence in it." about everyone in the hobby. Anyway, not sure how many deals you have done with him outside of buying a card in his auction and having him ship it to you. It took just one for me about 6 or 7 years ago to see a very greedy, unethical person who has only his best interest--the same type of qualities it would take to be part of ripping off innocent people for $50,000,000. I have no idea if he runs his auction business above board but when I see those type of qualities in a person that seem to be who they are, I think I prefer to stay clear, regardless of how much sweet talking they would do to show how much they care.

Getting the cards recerted so they cannot be traced when being relisted in a future auction does not bother you? So, hypothetically speaking, where do you stand on say...money laundering?

Greg, I am vaguely aware of you having an issue with JP 6-7 yrs ago. Even on that issue there were probably 2 sides to the story. You can stay clear of anyone you want to, that is how life works, of course. As for the recert of a card, from what I remember that was a mistake...and maybe more on PSA's side than his, but I don't remember all of the specifics even though I know a thread has been referenced. I am not going back to read that whole debacle again. I am against any wrongdoing, including money laundering.

I will continue to support Memory Lane and JP until such time that he proves unworthy of my support. I don't see that happening. And, no he isn't an advertiser and I doubt he would ever advertise here...but if he wanted to I would let him.

Peter_Spaeth
08-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Depending on what you care about, whether an auction house will ship you the card you won and paid for may not be the only issue. At least one guy I know cares whether an auction house is engaged in shill bidding, letting consignors win back their own cards for no fee while showing a sale, etc. Others may care whether an auction house is offering cards from collectors and ethical dealers, or is running lots of card doctor inventory. Since the latter two issues are not transparent, trust and character may be relevant.

Leon
08-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Depending on what you care about, whether an auction house will ship you the card you won and paid for may not be the only issue. At least one guy I know cares whether an auction house is engaged in shill bidding, letting consignors win back their own cards for no fee while showing a sale, etc. Others may care whether an auction house is offering cards from collectors and ethical dealers, or is running lots of card doctor inventory. Since the latter two issues are not transparent, trust and character may be relevant.

Trust and character are always relevant. And yes, doing anything unethical or fraudulent is bad. I think we might know of the same person that is interested in those things in the hobby. I tell him everything I know, all of the time. I saw him last week and speak with him fairly frequently. If anyone is doing bad stuff in the hobby I am almost the last person they want to be associated with.

botn
08-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Greg, I am vaguely aware of you having an issue with JP 6-7 yrs ago. Even on that issue there were probably 2 sides to the story. You can stay clear of anyone you want to, that is how life works, of course. As for the recert of a card, from what I remember that was a mistake...and maybe more on PSA's side than his, but I don't remember all of the specifics even though I know a thread has been referenced. I am not going back to read that whole debacle again. I am against any wrongdoing, including money laundering.

I will continue to support Memory Lane and JP until such time that he proves unworthy of my support. I don't see that happening. And, no he isn't an advertiser and I doubt he would ever advertise here...but if he wanted to I would let him.

And apparently you choose to see what you want to. You do not know the details of what transpired between me and JP (not that it is relevant) but you can confidently say there are two sides, you do not recall the details of the recerting but call it a mistake. Sounds to me like JP will never have a chance to prove he is unworthy of your support. Very lucky for him.

botn
08-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Great points, Peter. I use what I know or have learned about a person to make a decision about whether or not they can be trusted or how much I can trust them. Seems silly to disregard information that is provided but we all live our lives the way we see fit. Where there is smoke there is fire. If you do not want to see the smoke then you can get burned in the fire.

E93
08-13-2013, 11:43 AM
I have done many deals with them and only had positive and professional experiences.
JimB