PDA

View Full Version : RMY Auctions, Introduction to my fellow collectors!

prewarsports
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
This is a duplicate of the post on the main board but Leon gave me permission as an advertiser to hit both so I'm gonna do it!
__________________________________________________ ______________

With Leons permission I wanted to take a second and announce a new Auction venture, RMY Auctions. You can register at the link below.

www.RMYAuctions.com

I know it seems like there are Auction Houses starting every five minutes, but this is specialized. It will be ONLY Vintage Photography, and the finest examples in the hobby. Our first auction will be the highest quality and largest accumulation of vintage Sports (and non-sports) photographs ever offered.

We will also be the first Auction venue to offer a lifetime Guarantee on EVERYTHING we sell, forever, and offer the lowest buyers premium in the hobby at 7.9%.

The first Auction will feature between 1000-1200 lots, all of which are Auction House Quality. A short slideshow is available for viewing now, with the full auction being available for preiew in about 2 weeks. Our selection of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig photos alone are worth the 2 minutes it will take to register, add in the fact that we have the largest selection of 1919 White Sox and 1927 Yankees images ever assembled as well as the greatest collection of early career/Rookie images on the planet and it will truly be a special offering. ALL Sports will be represented as well as non-sports. Feel free to e mail me or call with any questions or concerns and I would love to answer them.

ALSO, I offer free photo opinions to any and all registered bidders at any time, NO LIMIT. If anyone who is registered as a bidder EVER has a question about any photograph in their personal collection, on ebay, or in the auction, drop me a line or call me on the phone and I will give you a free opinion as to its authenticity, approximae value, age etc. I LOVE photos and appreciate any chance I have to talk about them with my fellow collectors!

Please take a second to go to the site and register (it takes almost no time at all and everyone is approved) and I guarantee you will find it worth your while, even if you have no intention of ever bidding. When the full preview goes up, you will see..... The photos are truly breathtaking!

Rhys M. Yeakley

personal sappy comment disclaimer__________________________________-

I want to take a second as well and thank all of the friends I have made on this site over the last 14 years. I remember registering for the parent board of Net54 in late 1999 as a 23 year old College Student and it has been a regular part of my life ever since. I have made some very close friends and had the opportunity to meet hundreds if not thousands of other great, passionate collectors over the years. I honestly could not have started this new venture without the business and support of all of you on this forum. A sincere thanks to each and every person I have ever crossed paths with, and hoping to meet all the rest of you in the years to come!

Rhys

gnaz01
08-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Good luck Rhys, just registered!!

Lordstan
08-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Me Too.
Best of Luck Rhys.

Forever Young
08-12-2013, 06:49 PM
What is the date in September that this goes live..preview?

BigJJ
08-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Best of luck. Just signed up. Look forward to the auction!

Lordstan
08-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Ben,
I'm sorry to tell you, but we all took a vote.
Your collection as it stands is too good. so you will be forbidden from bidding in any of Rhys' auctions!!!!!!
Best,
Mark

Forever Young
08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Ben,
I'm sorry to tell you, but we all took a vote.
Your collection as it stands is too good. so you will be forbidden from bidding in any of Rhys' auctions!!!!!!
Best,
Mark

You are ALL GOING DOWN.....

HAHA! JK
:)

RCMcKenzie
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Good luck with the auctions and the soccer coaching. Tell those guys not to chase the ball or to kick the other team in the shins.

Scott Garner
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Rhys,
Congrats on your new auction and I wish you much success!

For those of you that did not make the Chicago National this year:
FYI, Rhys had a sampling of many of his photos on display.

If the examples that he showed are any indication of the photos that he will be offering, his auctions will be tremendous!

Rhys has been a terrific resource and a stand up guy.
I really appreciate all of the fresh material that he finds that have helped me build my personal collection.

I have registered as well.

thecatspajamas
08-12-2013, 07:47 PM
You are ALL GOING DOWN.....

HAHA! JK
:)

The Curse of the Ben Weino strikes again!

Seriously though, good luck, Rhys, with your new venture (not that you need any luck with photos like those! Wowzas!) I'm looking forward to many long hours of envious window shopping :D

Bumpus Jones
08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Good luck Rhys! Your a class act.

bobfreedman
08-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Ben, we are limiting you to one purchase per auction per year :)

Lordstan
08-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Bob,
Let's not be too harsh on Ben. I think that limit only applies to Lou Gehrig pictures. He can buy as many Ruth's as he wants.

Curse of the Ben Weino! Nice Lance.
I prefer Darth Weinar.

Rhys,
When will the previews be up?

Mark

prewarsports
08-13-2013, 08:48 AM
The good thing abut having access to large groups of photos and picking only the absolute best images is that I can afford to be picky. By the end of next week the full auction will be up for preview, with an ending date scheuled around September 21-28 depending on when the preview is up.

I appreciate all the support

Rhys Yeakley

sayhey24
08-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Wow!
Good luck Rhys!

Greg

Runscott
08-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Just registered. Can't allow Ben to get all the good stuff.

Good luck, Rhys

GKreindler
08-13-2013, 05:48 PM
All the luck in the world to both Rhys and Chris. After seeing what y'all had at the National, it's fair to say that your first auction will be a rousing success.

Graig

prewarsports
08-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Now if I can just find Kreindler a photo of "Mrs. Sarah Rhodes" from the Buchner Offenders and Defenders Set, the auction will be complete! If you havent seen that card, take a gander at this beauty! Yes, thats a woman!

Might be the best card ever issued!

Forever Young
08-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Now if I can just find Kreindler a photo of "Mrs. Sarah Rhodes" from the Buchner Offenders and Defenders Set, the auction will be complete! If you havent seen that card, take a gander at this beauty! Yes, thats a woman!

Might be the best card ever issued!

What's so odd about it?

GKreindler
08-13-2013, 07:13 PM
God, she's a beaut.

That first line is a beaut:

"This remarkable woman, who sports a moustache, is accused of murdering Farmer Blizzard, a married man, and who seemed to be infatuated with this woman."

Amazeballs.

Graig

mybestbretts
08-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't know if you will have anything for me, but I just signed up :)

obcbeatle
08-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Just signed up ... really look forward to the first auction! I didn't see the sneak preview slideshow mentioned in the original post, but maybe the catalog is just offline at the moment. I'll check the website later. Thanks!

martindl
08-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Congratulation Rhys on the new endeavor. Much luck and success to you.

I've been around this board for a while, well into the earlier days and a more giving person than Rhys you will not find. Truly one of the good guys.

cwazzy
08-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Any idea when the preview will be up?

Forever Young
08-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Any idea when the preview will be up?

I thought it was stated as last week.. but that obviously was not accurate. I can't wait to see these images. NEA archives has a lot of great shots and I am sure Ryths is busy! Hurry up Ryths, we are jonesing!! :)

cwazzy
08-27-2013, 09:25 AM
I thought it was stated as last week.. but that obviously in not accurate. I can't wait to se ethese imaged. NEA archives has a lot of great shots and I am sure Ryths is busy! Hurry up Ryths, we are jonesing!! :)

I thought it was last week as well. I've been checking multiple times a day since last Wednesday! LOL

prewarsports
08-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi guys

We have had some new additions in both Sports and Non-Sports (making the Auction even better) and we are working on it like crazy, hopefully the end of next week the full preview will be up, that is our target date. Everything is scanned and ready to go, its those descriptions that are killing me. I will keep you posted. The problem is too much good stuff!

Rhys

cwazzy
09-09-2013, 03:41 PM
I've checked the site 5 times today already. LOL

prewarsports
09-09-2013, 03:57 PM
This week, I promise! Its done, just finishing up a few of the last minute details before it can go out there. We are targeting the full preview up Wednesday with bidding to start a day or two afterwards.

Rhys

Kawika
09-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I've checked the site 5 times today already. LOL
False alarm. Auction not up yet. I'm also very much looking forward to RMY. Saw some of his offerings in Chicago last month. Terrific stuff.

71buc
09-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Preview is up and the offerings are amazing.

gnaz01
09-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Preview is up and the offerings are amazing.

Awesome, Rhys. Can't wait to bid!!!

cwazzy
09-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Wow. Just wow. I will be a broke SOB by the end of this.

Lordstan
09-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Am I missing something?
I just went to the site and nothing is listed.

thecatspajamas
09-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Am I missing something?
I just went to the site and nothing is listed.

Was up earlier this evening. Left the computer for a while, came back, and it's no longer up. I'm assuming this is all part of the start-up pains, and we should be patient as they get things all set. I hope that Rhys is encouraged by the salivating mob peering through the windows to get a peek at what is coming :D

prewarsports
09-09-2013, 09:15 PM
You guys are tenacious! (But thats a good thing!)

The full preview will be up Wednesday Night. Guaranteed.

Auction will end October 5th.

We went to a preview today for about one hour while we could check some things and make sure we liked the format etc. Some of you just got an inadvertant sneak peek!

I appreciate all the interest and I truly feel it is the finest Photo Auction ever assembled from top to bottom so Wednesday Night, get a comfy chair and enjoy!

Rhys Yeakley

Lordstan
09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Damn.
I guess that's my punishment for leaving the computer to drive my kid to dance class. That's it from now on the wife goes!

Rhys,
Thanks for the info.

71buc
09-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I saw beautiful Conlon and Van Oyen images, pre-Rookie Joe D and Teddy Ballgame photos as well as a rookie photos of Willie, Mickey, and the Duke. There were also quite a number of Ruth, Gehrig, Wajo, and Matty photos if you're into that sort of thing:D There was also a haunting image of Ray Chapman fielding a ground ball taken the day before he died and a courtroom image of the Black Sox trial.

JoeyF1981
09-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Preview was awesome! Time to call Bank of America and ask for a short term loan! :)

71buc
09-10-2013, 12:08 AM
I didn't realize I still had the preview open on another tab. I was able to flip through images in reverse once again before I received the "Server Error in '/' Application message" and was no longer able to view the items. I grabbed a few screen shots but will not share them out of respect for Rhys.

I will say that there were 22 pages of vintage baseball each page contained 25 images. There is a beautiful photo of Ruth which was used to make the 1922 E121 baseball card, and a rookie Koufax shot that is spectacular as well. There was also an interesting study of Mordecai Browns pitching hand as well. It appears that Henry Yee will now have a bit of competition.

71buc
09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
The auction is up http://www.rmyauctions.com/Category/Featured_(Baseball)-25.html

prewarsports
09-11-2013, 06:48 PM
OK, So the good news is..... The preview is up. You can go in and look at the photos.

Go to

www.RMYAuctions.com

Click on "Auction"

FYI, There are still some minor technical issues and I need to do one final proofread and add the Rules etc. This will all be done in the next 2 days but I wanted to at least make the photos and lots available for viewing so you guys can see what we will be offering for our first go-around.

I appreciate all the nice comments and support.

I only ask that if you find glaring errors or inaccuracies (as much as I have tried to catch them early) please drop me a line through here or my e mail and I will make sure they are fixed before the bidding starts on Friday, dont post them on here please. I will make sure all information and assertions are correct!

Again, thanks to all my friends on here and enjoy the pictures.

Rhys Yeakley

RCMcKenzie
09-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Great offerings. Something for everyone in this one. The motor sports photos are great.

GrayGhost
09-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Wonderful photos

RUKen
09-12-2013, 06:33 AM
I only ask that if you find glaring errors or inaccuracies (as much as I have tried to catch them early) please drop me a line through here or my e mail and I will make sure they are fixed before the bidding starts on Friday, dont post them on here please. I will make sure all information and assertions are correct! Rhys Yeakley

Lot #8, the photo of Walter Johnson dated May 15, 1913, was taken at Hilltop Park, where the Yankees played their last season in 1912. (The tall buildings beyond the outfield fence make this an easy identification.) Based on the road uniform that Johnson is wearing, I believe that this photo was taken in 1910 or 1911. (In 1913, the Senators had a pinstriped road uniform with a dark cap.)

Regardless, it's a great photo.

Edited to add: I'm sorry I overlooked the "don't post them on here please", but I think the error is minor and does not negatively impact the value of the photo. If anything, the correct ID will increase the value by placing the location in a long-gone ballpark.

ethicsprof
09-12-2013, 11:49 AM
just a quick question.
I perused a number of your offerings and am impressed.
I notice that a great number of those I looked at have the NEA stamp.
No problem with that---just wondering why?
many thanks for the help,
all the best,
barry

prewarsports
09-12-2013, 02:13 PM
NEA was basically "Acme" and the items in the Auction mostly come from one big archive of NEA/Acme photographs that was uncovered earlier this year. Before the 1920's, NEA would accumulate photoraphs (like the Culver Archive many are familiar with) which is why you will see many earlier photos from Underwood & Underwood also having a File Stamp from NEA at a later date which is when they got the photo (Example would be a 1913 Conlon photo with another date of 1926 on the back). After the 1920's most NEA stuff is also Acme stuff (company merger/agreement) but they would still get images from other companies and file them away to potentially use if they needed to. NEA essentially went out of business in the late 1960's so it is a great archive of Vintage items without the endless piles of 1980's Chris Sabo shots!

I will have the "Rules/FAQ" up tomorrow before bidding starts and further explain everthing there as well in regard to grading/authentication. In the meantime, anyone can feel free to e mail or call me with any questions you might have.

Rhys

LincolnVT
09-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Best of luck. I look forward to the up-coming auction. Nice to have an auction specifically dedicated to vintage photos.

Ethan

ethicsprof
09-12-2013, 06:35 PM
thanks much for the quick and helpful response.
I was thinking it might be from a big archive recently uncovered because I had bought
25 or so photos in the last year from historic images, all of which were NEA stamped. I'm mighty grateful that two houses that I think highly of were able
to get such beauties for us.
all the best,
Barry

Scott Garner
09-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Wow! Nothing short of AMAZING! :eek:

Lordstan
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Great photos Rhys.
I noticed you are not using the Type system.
Are you going to be explaining what a Vintage photo 1,2,3, etc are in your rules or FAQ?

prewarsports
09-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes, tomorrow the rules will go up with all that (before bidding starts).

It is essentially the same thing but I have a 5 year window for "vintage 1" and the others "vintage 2" and "vintage 3" just help differentiate between an old 2nd generation and one made yesterday.

For example

1921 Babe Ruth Bird Photo lot #6

"Vintage 1" would give it (approx) up to 1926 to have been developed off the original negative

"Vintage 2" would be if it was made before 1931 (another 5 years)

"Vintage 3" gives it approx. 20 years, or pre 1950 (whichever is later)

This allows for a differentiation between a 1923 Babe Ruth and a 2013 Babe Ruth photo as listed above. Right now they are the exact same "type 2" but of course one is much more valuable than the other.

We will also call Wire photos what they are "Wire" and not figure them into our number system. We will also note photos that are not from the original negative with (b) after it. So a vintage 1921 photo of the Babe Ruth with a bird that was done from a copy negative would be "Vintage 1(b)".

It is actually a very easy, very concise system that takes the good of the "Type System" and improves upon the areas which needed to be tweaked.

It will all be explained in the Rules tomorrow, but just throwing it out there now so you can can ask questions or whatever. Also, if something does not make sense and you want to speak to me privately about it, my e mail is below and I am also available to talk on the phone and will give any forum member my cell number via e mail.

Rhys Yeakley

Lordstan
09-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Rhys,
Thanks for the explanation.

prewarsports
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Last week of bidding! Initial bids must be placed by Saturday afternoon. If you havent already checked out the auction, it only takes a minute to register and we will approve you immediately.

Rhys Yeakley

www.RMYAuctions.com