PDA

View Full Version : Deals you just didn't move fast enough on...(Mine is 1933 Goudey Fresh to Hobby Set)

ATP
08-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Ok, so I am sure this has been discussed countless times before, but while cleaning up my files today I discovered something that made me "re-kick" myself, for probably the 100th time on this example. About two years ago a woman on the other side of the state was selling a complete 1933 Goudey set, which was left to her by her grandfather (go ahead, get the "left to me by my Grandfather jokes out of the way" :-) ). It had been kept in his bank safe deposit box, with a note on top saying to sell it for $10,000. Included with it where his handwritten list of the cards in the set and the values as of 1990. The heir was very low tech, she did not know how to take digital photos but she did go to the bank, get the cards out, take them to kinkos to make color copies, and sent them to me in the mail. As soon as I saw them (I only included one page of the checklist, but the other pages showed duplicates he had as well, including several duplicates of Gehrig), I was planning to buy a plane ticket to go buy them (she would only take cash, and it was winter so I could not drive over the mountain pass), but someone else she mailed the copies to beat me to it by about an hour. Here's a few scans of the cards that were included in her grandfathers set, really nice condition. Any creasing you see on the photocopies is not on the cards but probably from my crumpling them up after procrastinating too long and I also knocked a glass of water over on the table on them. I will probably hang on to them anyways just so I can bump into them again in a couple years and relive the memory of the near miss. It also goes to show that there are still finds out there of fresh to the hobby, high quality pieces...but next time you come across one, don't hesitate so long like I did.

vintagetoppsguy
08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for sharing. Was there a Lajoie too?

ATP
08-11-2013, 07:09 PM
I assume no Lajoie, the checklist had his name but an X next to it and the price of $6000. I guess I will never know for certain :-)

nolemmings
08-11-2013, 08:48 PM
This card sold for $8K three years ago in a Legendary auction:
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/miscellaneous/large/sbwallace.jpg

For some reason(s), I sat on my hands and did not bid on it when it was on ebay for $90.00
http://photos.imageevent.com/imoverhere/miscellaneous/large/sbwallace2.jpg

It still sickens me.

drcy
08-11-2013, 09:26 PM
I move too fast and have had to learn to slow down.

I got a great deal on a battery charger for a telekinetic transmographier only to learn the the telekinetic transmographier won't be invented for another 10,000 years.

conor912
08-11-2013, 10:28 PM

+1

Bocabirdman
08-12-2013, 10:52 AM

I got a great deal on a battery charger for a telekinetic transmographier only to learn the the telekinetic transmographier won't be invented for another 10,000 years.

Boy, did they see you coming. EVERYBODY knows that the model #12013 Telekentic Transmorgrahier comes with a factory installed Perpetual Intergrated Dimension-Staddling, Zero Gravity, Self-Winding Photon Cannon power cell with matching retinal-regenerating Wayfarers.

Cardboard Junkie
08-12-2013, 11:24 AM
I was fortunate...I got my transmogrifier with a free carrying case and a henway! :D ps really did miss out on 2 Kalamazoo Bats for 50 bucks because, well, I didn't have 50 bucks on me:(

D. Bergin
08-12-2013, 11:39 AM
I still remember walking by a dealer at a show in New York City in the late 80's who had cases of 1986 Fleer basketball and was selling them at 50 bucks a box.

My first thought was, who the hell is going to pay 50 bucks a box for newer basketball cards? :D

Sean
08-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I was fortunate...I got my transmogrifier with a free carrying case and a henway! :D ps really did miss out on 2 Kalamazoo Bats for 50 bucks because, well, I didn't have 50 bucks on me:(

All right David, I'll give you the set-up.

What's a henway? :D

Cardboard Junkie
08-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks!:D Ans. About 4 or 5 pounds!!:D

08-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Boy, did they see you coming. EVERYBODY knows that the model #12013 Telekentic Transmorgrahier comes with a factory installed Perpetual Intergrated Dimension-Staddling, Zero Gravity, Self-Winding Photon Cannon power cell with matching retinal-regenerating Wayfarers.

This exchange was either plagiarized from the unpublished script of an episode of Monty Python: The Next Generation or something completely different.

Bocabirdman
08-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Dave, I saw that coming but didn't think you'd actually get the straight line. I would have set you up if no one else did....:D

(What's a Grecian Urn?:))

Sean
08-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Did not see that coming. :eek: