PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Recognize These Spokane Indians?

thecatspajamas
08-10-2013, 02:32 PM
These look to be from a team issue or picture pack type set from the 1960's. Each measures approx. 4-1/4"x5-1/2", printed photos on thin semi-glossy paper (like magazine stock). Any ideas who they are? Or specific year these were issued?

Volod
08-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah, 1966 Spokane Indians, Bart Shirley, Stan Williams and Dick Calmus, in that order. All three and a bunch of others from the set available on eBay.

thecatspajamas
08-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Steve, but that's actually me selling them on eBay as well :D
Wasn't getting any responses here, so I took my best stab at it. The date is based on the Stan Williams ID, since he was only with the team in '66, but that is also the one that I have the least amount of confidence in. If anyone has any corrections to the date or IDs, I would be glad to hear them (and update the eBay listings accordingly).

Volod
08-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Sorry, Lance - I didn't notice the EBay username until a minute after posting that. The '65 cards have names below the photos, but if these are "66, they left any identification off - why?- to save printing costs? After studying a lot of photos, the only one I can be sure of now is Calmus. There were a lot of obscure players on that '66 team, so it's tough to id them.

thecatspajamas
08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I had several from what looked to be 1964 and 1965 as well that were the same size and on the same kind of semi-gloss magazine kind of stock. From what I could discern, you can tell the 1964 and 1965 series apart by the lack of a team name at the bottom of the 1964's, whereas the 1965's had Spokane "Indians" at the bottom. Assuming the remaining three were from 1966, like you said, they seem to have left all text off the bottom altogether.

Were it not for me picking up all of these at once, I probably never would have pieced together even that much. Anyway, I appreciate the seconded opinion on Calmus.