PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying Old Judge card "Carroll L.F. Washington"

obcbeatle
08-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Hello:

I have a few Old Judge cards and found one that I'm trying to identify in the SCD. Is the below card Fred Carroll, Cliff Carroll or Scrappy Carroll? I wanted to learn more about him via Retrosheet ... so I presumed it was Cliff Carrol since he played for Washington. But wanted to be sure. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

http://ahomeplate.com/images/OJCarrollFront.jpg

JeremyW
08-09-2013, 03:36 PM
You presumed correctly. According to the OJ book, Cliff was one of the earlier switch-hitters in the game.

obcbeatle
08-09-2013, 04:33 PM
You presumed correctly. According to the OJ book, Cliff was one of the earlier switch-hitters in the game.

Thanks Jeremy! I just read where Cliff and a few other switch hitters used to jump from one side of the plate to the other during the pitchers delivery. Wow ... talk about distracting! And I see that Cliff played alongside Old Hoss Radbourn when he was with the Providence Grays in 1884. Radbourn won 59 games that year in 678+ innings pitched. Whoa ... his arm must have been pretty sore that Fall/Winter! Also see that Cliff played alongside Connie Mack and Hank O' Day for the Washington Nationals in 1887, when apparently this card was printed. Neat stuff! Thanks for the quick reply!