PDA

View Full Version : Missing Card...and insurance (Collect Insure) that doesn't pay

scottglevy
08-07-2013, 02:04 PM
All,

I'm sad to report that one of my dad's favorite cards the T206 Camnitz split printing error has gone missing.

If anyone happens to come across the card please let us know. Thanks!

A warning about insurance
I had assumed that since he had his collection insured by Collect Insure
(http://www.collectinsure.com) at least the loss would be covered. Wrong!

So fair warning....just because you have an insurance policy doesn't mean that you'll actually be paid on losses - please read the fine print very, very carefully BEFORE you decide to spend money on insurance.

rainier2004
08-07-2013, 02:07 PM
All,

I'm sad to report that one of my dad's favorite cards the T206 Camnitz split printing error has gone missing.

If anyone happens to come across the card please let us know. Thanks!

A warning about insurance
I had assumed that since he had his collection insured by Collect Insure
(http://www.collectinsure.com) at least the loss would be covered. Wrong!

So fair warning....just because you have an insurance policy doesn't mean that you'll actually be paid on losses - please read the fine print very, very carefully BEFORE you decide to spend money on insurance.

Sorry for the loss, that sucks and I hope the card is located.

Can you explain why they will not cover it? Details on this would be very appreciated. I think there are a few members, including myself, that insure their collection thru this company.

08-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Why won't they pay the claim?

08-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Nevermind (from http://www.collectinsure.com/exclusions.aspx):

Exclusions

Governmental seizure or destruction of property
War and nuclear
Gradual deterioration such as fading, creasing, denting
Nesting, infestation or discharge or release of waste products or secretions by insects, rodents or other animals
Dampness or dryness of atmosphere
Changes in or extremes of temperature other than fire
Fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts
Voluntary parting with covered property
Loss or damage while being worked on by you or others working on your behalf
Mysterious disappearance

wonkaticket
08-07-2013, 02:12 PM
How did the card go missing?

scottglevy
08-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Correct. Because I can't pinpoint the date/time that the card went missing they consider it to have "mysteriously disappeared". Technically I suppose that's true....but it certainly leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

scottglevy
08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
John,

Really wish I knew. Dad and I only really looked for it after strong REA error auction results and couldn't find it at that time.

At least it should be easily identified.....but really bummin' about it at the moment.

08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
If you happen to spot it in an auction later (eBay or elsewhere), will they rule it "theft" and then pay out the claim?

bn2cardz
08-07-2013, 02:19 PM
What does the card look like? Do you have a scan?

scottglevy
08-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I honestly have no idea. But I'd certainly ask the auction house to prove that the card's owner acquired the card legitimately. Dad and I still have a purchase receipt from the auction...would be interesting to see what the new seller comes up with :)

wonkaticket
08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/smileys/35536.jpg

Scott I assume it's this card? Still confused as to how the card just got up and walked away. I would assume you keep your stuff in a safe location and you don't really travel with the your collection all that much correct?

I'll keep an eye out and an ear to the ground for you. Crazy question you didn't sell or trade it and forget? I know sometimes I do that thinking I still own something and go looking for it for 30 mins and then it dawns on me oh sold that a few years ago.

Bound to turn up check all the boxes and such could have slipped somewhere is my guess.

scottglevy
08-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes that's the one. Thanks John.

Mikehealer
08-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Wow, it only took 17 minutes to find.

conor912
08-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Wow. What a sham.. I am guessing what they mean my disappearing mysteriously is "misplacement". I'm sure there are/were instances where guys put something somewhere, forgot where they put it, thought it was lost, filed a claim and then found it. I do it all the time (the misplace it, think it's lost, then find it part) and hopefully that's the case here.

67_Palmer
08-07-2013, 02:46 PM
I can't tell you how many times frantically dug through my boxes thinking somehow I lost a card or someone broke into my house and stole it, only to find it twenty minutes later.

Seems irrational that someone would break into a house and steal only one card, but such is the brain of a collector.

thehoodedcoder
08-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Nevermind (from http://www.collectinsure.com/exclusions.aspx):

Exclusions

Governmental seizure or destruction of property
War and nuclear
Gradual deterioration such as fading, creasing, denting
Nesting, infestation or discharge or release of waste products or secretions by insects, rodents or other animals
Dampness or dryness of atmosphere
Changes in or extremes of temperature other than fire
Fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts
Voluntary parting with covered property
Loss or damage while being worked on by you or others working on your behalf
Mysterious disappearance

i would think it should be covered in the event my bank goes through a thermo nucleur disaster.....how is that one on the list. LOL.

in all seriousness then...what exactly is covered. it sounds like that has pretty much excluded just about anything that can happen except for flooding but they could argue that one im sure.

thats the problem with insurance companies. they do everything they can to not pay and when they do you don't get 100 percent of the money. they often hedge their bets, keeping a fraction of the money it would require to pay all clients, all monies that their policies cover.

that practice should be illegal.

glchen
08-07-2013, 03:45 PM
... it sounds like that has pretty much excluded just about anything that can happen except for flooding but they could argue that one im sure.

Flooding is excluded from coverage due to the "Dampness or dryness of atmosphere clause."

thehoodedcoder
08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
so i guess, the question then really is..."what do they actually cover".

i should get into the insurance business that doesn't pay out over anything. seems like the profit margins are nice and high.

kevin

hangman62
08-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I just cant seem to wrap my arms around this ?.. card walked away..card gone missing... ??????

atx840
08-07-2013, 05:50 PM
:(

Sorry to hear that Scott. Did you bring it to shows?

CW
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Hope it shows up, Scott.

so i guess, the question then really is..."what do they actually cover".

From the site...

Broader and more comprehensive than homeowners insurance, the policy provides for most causes of loss unless specifically excluded. Covered causes of loss include but are not limited to

mail loss
theft
fire
flooding
natural disasters
breakage

smtjoy
08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
in all seriousness then...what exactly is covered. it sounds like that has pretty much excluded just about anything that can happen except for flooding but they could argue that one im sure.

thats the problem with insurance companies. they do everything they can to not pay and when they do you don't get 100 percent of the money. they often hedge their bets, keeping a fraction of the money it would require to pay all clients, all monies that their policies cover.

Not true, a few years ago I had some cards stolen from my truck (you can look up the thread), within 60 days I got paid 100% of what I had paid on ebay for each of them. I did file a police report as my truck was broken into and a number of things were missing including the box of cards.

Sorry your card is missing Scott, that part sucks for sure.

scottglevy
08-08-2013, 09:33 AM
:(

Sorry to hear that Scott. Did you bring it to shows?

Yes I'm really bummed about it. Part of the problem is that I can't isolate the particular date/event of loss. I had brought it to one or two shows in the past year or two.

GasHouseGang
08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
I just cant seem to wrap my arms around this ?.. card walked away..card gone missing... ??????

I know that seems strange, but I once won an ebay auction from a well known dealer and suddenly he couldn't find the card!? I thought for sure he just didn't like the price it went for, but he was very sorry and said if it showed up he would contact me. About a month later it was found and the transaction was completed. It happens.