PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please: Ty Cobb signed photo...

Kzoo
08-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Guys...........I'm interested in possibly purchasing this Ty Cobb signed photo, but wanted to see if anyone here had any opinions on it's authenticity first. My first thought is 'Good', but it's not signed in his trademark 'green' ink. I always thought he signed mostly everything towards the end of his life in green ink?? Thanks in advance for any opinions...........Matt

mr2686
08-06-2013, 04:49 PM
OMG...that's my B-day. I sure hope it's real!!

Lordstan
08-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Wow! You're old! :D
I'm no expert, but it looks decent to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sccoe
08-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Jim Armstrong was a well known autograph collector. The signature looks good to me.

Kzoo
08-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Guys........Thanks for the responses so far. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..........Matt

CMIZ5290
08-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Matt- definitely good....Great example!

mr2686
08-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Matt, if you buy it and ever want to sell it, please keep me in mind.

JimStinson
08-08-2013, 11:12 AM
James Armstrong had one of the largest collections ever assembled, Most of his photos are of him posed with the player, My guess is that in the Cobb photo there is a short fellow having a "bad hair day" posed next to him. That's Armstrong , he used to also place a duffle bag at his feet in the photos that said something like "James Armstrong Autograph Collector" , Photo was likely taken at Cooperstown as he was a regular there every year.

After he died in the 1960's his family sold his collection, The rumor was that Joe DiMaggio wanted to buy it for his restaurant and another collector got it instead. There was an article written about the collection that supposedly had MANY THOUSANDS of signed baseballs , Most single signed. I was told it took two semi tractor trailers to haul everything away.

As a weird coincidence I was contacted by Armstrong's kids back about 20 years ago. They had found an old box that had several autograph books from the 1930's & 40's and about 30 signed baseballs. That used to belong to him that somehow got missed when the collection had been sold. They showed me the newspaper clippings from back in the 1950's and the collection was amazing !!! What was kind of sad is that they told me I paid more for the small box of forgotten "goodies" , than their mother had sold his ENTIRE collection for. I realize it was 25 years later but still.......

More Vintage autographs for sale now
http://stinsonsports.com/autographs-for-sale/

mr2686
08-08-2013, 12:06 PM
James Armstrong had one of the largest collections ever assembled, Most of his photos are of him posed with the player, My guess is that in the Cobb photo there is a short fellow having a "bad hair day" posed next to him. That's Armstrong , he used to also place a duffle bag at his feet in the photos that said something like "James Armstrong Autograph Collector" , Photo was likely taken at Cooperstown as he was a regular there every year.

After he died in the 1960's his family sold his collection, The rumor was that Joe DiMaggio wanted to buy it for his restaurant and another collector got it instead. There was an article written about the collection that supposedly had MANY THOUSANDS of signed baseballs , Most single signed. I was told it took two semi tractor trailers to haul everything away.

As a weird coincidence I was contacted by Armstrong's kids back about 20 years ago. They had found an old box that had several autograph books from the 1930's & 40's and about 30 signed baseballs. That used to belong to him that somehow got missed when the collection had been sold. They showed me the newspaper clippings from back in the 1950's and the collection was amazing !!! What was kind of sad is that they told me I paid more for the small box of forgotten "goodies" , than their mother had sold his ENTIRE collection for. I realize it was 25 years later but still.......

More Vintage autographs for sale now

Cool story Jim. I wonder if anyone will be talking about any of our collections in 30-50 years from now?

JimStinson
08-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Cool story Jim. I wonder if anyone will be talking about any of our collections in 30-50 years from now?

Based on what I learned in school about economics (when I wasn't staring out the window) and what I witnessed first hand when the Florida real estate bubble burst , and what I hear every day on CNN , Five years from now the best autograph collection in the country might make an even swap for a cup of soup and a loaf of bread.

Vintage autographs for sale NOW !

Mr. Zipper
08-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Based on what I learned in school about economics (when I wasn't staring out the window) and what I witnessed first hand when the Florida real estate bubble burst , and what I hear every day on CNN , Five years from now the best autograph collection in the country might make an even swap for a cup of soup and a loaf of bread.

LOL I can see it now. A wheelbarrow full of Ruth signed balls for a loaf of bread. :D

BTW, Jim... Did Armstrong collect other fields outside of baseball?

JimStinson
08-08-2013, 01:47 PM
LOL I can see it now. A wheelbarrow full of Ruth signed balls for a loaf of bread. :D

BTW, Jim... Did Armstrong collect other fields outside of baseball?

Yes, he did but baseball was what he collected most, He began collecting in the 1930's as a youngster and (I think ...but just a guess) that he made the transition to mostly baseball later, The reason I say that is because in the autograph books I bought from the family which were from the 1930's , there was about an even mix from all sports and even historical.

He lived in New Jersey around that time and tracked down some very tough and obscure names including the original Joe Walcott (Died-1935) who was then a custodian at Madison Square garden and nearly destitute , I remember too that he had all types of material related to boxer John L. Sullivan , Including ornamates, furniture and custom whiskey and beer bottles with Sullivan's name on them, One of the news articles said they were from John L. Sullivan's bar, but I don't know that he ever owned a bar, as Sullivan became a teetotaler for most of his life after boxing and sometimes the newspapers don't always get it right.
I DO remember it as being the largest single signed baseball collection ever sold ! That became his collecting specialty ,
Some of the old timers that used to go to Cooperstown every year might remember him but I was always told he kind of kept to himself and was not part of the close knit collecting crowd that used to make the sojourn to the Hall every year for inductions

Vintage autographs for sale now !

mr2686
08-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Hmmm...what kind of soup? :D