PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here get the Banana Bat?

perezfan
08-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Just curious if a Board Member got this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Antique-early-1900s-Emile-Kinst-sickleshape-banana-baseball-bat-/251311182179?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=W2rpGjWQn6LjjWsx2U7GzMjXBQU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_90wt_1178

Seller didn't seem very flexible, and wanted significantly more than the recent example from REA (which was in superior condition, and with impeccable provenance from Billy Sullivan).

As a result, I was a bit surprised to see it sell. Still an incrediby rare and intriguing bat. Tuly a centerpiece to any collection. :D

WWGjohn
08-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I too have followed the sale of the banana bat with interest. It started with a buy it now of 10K and wound up selling for 6.4K. What an addition to anyone's collection it would make.

John

John V
08-03-2013, 08:34 PM
$5800...I'm not the buyer.

pedodds
08-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I got the bat. I made the same REA argument. He negotiated with me some.
I didn't pick up much at the National so as a result made the deal.
I think the REA example had a crack. This one has good vintage patina. I didn't bid the one in REA. I bet if I bid in REA it would have went higher. So thats how I justified the price in my mind.
John

gnaz01
08-04-2013, 03:18 AM
I got the bat. I made the same REA argument. He negotiated with me some.
I didn't pick up much at the National so as a result made the deal.
I think the REA example had a crack. This one has good vintage patina. I didn't bid the one in REA. I bet if I bid in REA it would have went higher. So thats how I justified the price in my mind.
John

Wow!! Heck of a first post for being on here 4 years, John!! Congrats, she's a beauty!

perezfan
08-04-2013, 01:01 PM
John:

Congrats on obtaining this magnificent bat! Your rationale is sound, and in all fairness, the REA example could/should have gone for lots more... especially if you had entered into the bidding.

I was under-bidder on that one, and am still haunted by not going after it more aggressively. I think you did well to get this seller down to $5,800. He was not flexible with regard to any of my offers.

The money can be re-made... the Bat can't. I'm guessing that maybe 5 - 10 of these still exist? :confused:

Wonderful acquisition!

WWGjohn
08-04-2013, 01:44 PM
That's a magnificent bat and would certainly be the centerpiece of my collection. Congrats on getting it.

John

pedodds
08-04-2013, 06:54 PM
We have all had similar experiences with auctions. When you want something and bid, it always seems to go for double retail.
I know the collector that got the REA Banana Bat. He was shocked at how low it went. I think highly of him as a collector and historian. He has impeccable research skills. He advised me on the purchase. That is another reason why I made an offer.
I have always appreciated the book "A Century Of Baseball Inventions Banana Bats and Ding-Dong Balls" by Gutman. I am very happy to own the bat in any condition.
Anyone have a Ding-Dong ball they want to sell?
What about a Dead Red ball? Seamless ball? How about a double seam Spalding ball?
It can't hurt to ask...
John