PDA

View Full Version : my pinback blog

springpin
08-03-2013, 01:58 PM
For those interested in my pinback blog, after 26 attempts to correctly load the images on the crossed bats pins into the text, I finally got it finished. Sorry for the delay. Computers ain't my thing. I also have added updates to two previously published columns.

Paul

baseballpinbackbuttons.wordpress.com

mjkm90
08-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Terrific info Paul. I was hoping to meet you at the National, but we didn't cross paths and I departed Wednesday afternoon. Did you able make any additions?

springpin
08-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Mike. We probably crossed paths but didn't know it. Each year I seem to get less and less. I maintain a special index for the National: the number of pins I bought thinking I did not have them but in fact I already did. This year the number was two. At the National I come to realize how relatively inexpensive pins are compared to other areas of collecting. While walking down an aisle I overheard one dealer tell a young collector (he seemed to be in his late 20s), in reference to a Babe Ruth item, "I can let you have it for sixty-five thousand." I kept on walking and did not hear a response if there was one.

Paul

67_Palmer
08-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Unbelievable collection of pin-backs, and great info.

CobbvLajoie1910
08-04-2013, 04:50 PM
DrM.

I nearly tossed my iPad thinking my browser was the issue.

Thank you for the update -- for me, it was a much anticipated entry (given the multitude of variations & vaguery of their origins).

I love the crossed-bats!

Keep up the great work. I'd love a chance to run into you in Cleveland '14.

Aaron

springpin
08-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Aaron and 67-Palmer,

Thank you both for your kind words. I love talking about pins, but I confess the computer work is better suited to a younger person who is more proficient with it. The crossed bats column could have been three times longer, but I do not want to turn off the readers with excessive detail. For example, the stitching on the ball in between the crossed bats differs (horizontal vs. vertical) depending upon whether the pin has a border or not.

If you have a topic you would like me to address, please let me know. I have had requests for columns on position player pins of the 1890s and knothole gang pins. If I know something about the topic, I will try to do a column on it.

Paul

CobbvLajoie1910
08-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Paul.

I, too, would be fervently in favor of seeing a Knothole piece -- though, I fear (for you) that sort of undertaking may take several blog installments to adequately cover. :)

While my primary love of pinback collecting will always be tied to baseball -- over the last couple of years I have really grown fond of college football/Bowl-specific issues.

Keep the baseball stuff a-comin'. That said, if you're soliciting requests, I'd love to see a piece (or pieces) on University/college football/bowl game examples.

Again, I feel pretty confident speaking for The Board when I say thank you for sharing your scholarship with us.

As a (relatively) young collector -- I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Best,
Aaron