details at the CU

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=895072

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=895009

Wolfgang427
08-02-2013, 05:20 PM
That's terrible news. I hope they catch whoever did this. :mad:

savedfrommyspokes
08-02-2013, 05:32 PM
And it is only half over as of now......likely a crack and resubmit job down the road sometime

Cardboard Junkie
08-02-2013, 05:48 PM
I think it's 2 Micks and a Mays, 52T. Blows:(

mybestbretts
08-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Wasn't it last year that the bat was stolen. I don't understand why they
don't have camera's and more security. I would think that the cards would
have been under lock and key?

Cardboard Junkie
08-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Are they insured? hmmmmm?

HasselhoffsCheeseburger
08-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Based on my limited knowledge of the show's promoters, I doubt they'd drop $10 on security cameras.

the 'stache
08-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Unbelievable. Is there no security for these?

67_Palmer
08-03-2013, 06:22 AM
I'm not disputing the claims, but how would a dealer let the 2nd most popular card in the hobby out of their sight for a second?

bbcarddan
08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I`m not saying this was the case here at all but wouldn't it be easy to commit insurance fraud this way? Yep the cards were there a second ago now they are gone!
I`m not even sure how an insurance co. could protect themselves from that.

pawpawdiv9
08-03-2013, 02:16 PM
thats horrible..
I read both of the links...at least has some characteristics.
Atleast they been reported to the card graders..and everyone is looking out.
I know i be pissed...since i recently acquired one from a auction house this past month.
I never been to a show..but i would kept this card within my reach and locked up, bolted down or whatever in a safe or something.

ALR-bishop
08-03-2013, 03:27 PM
These shows are huge with many hundreds of tables and thousands of people milling around. A dealer trying to sell his stuff to interested people, answer questions, make conversation and watch his stuff, is in a tough situation. Stuff gets stolen every year. Each table or group of tables needs a lookout as well as sellers.

savedfrommyspokes
08-03-2013, 04:01 PM
One dealer who I have dealt with often has his own rule of thumb in regards to setting up at a show such as this....he "staffs" his tables with one person per table and he is a floater. This year, as in past years, he has 4 tables at the National so he brings 4 others with him.

Another dealer I spoke after the last Chicago show was selling complete sets from the 50 and 60's. He had one table and brought another guy with him. While the other guy was away, he was "showing" some of the keys cards from the sets (PSA Mantle's etc) to some seemingly prospective customers. While he had the sets in locked cases, he remembered that the lookers had put the graded star cards on the cases after they finished looking at them and then began negotiating. He remembered another looker coming over and setting down a box he had been carrying on the cases. Then the graded star cards were gone. He told me that he felt that these thieves used some type of box with a bottom that was hollowed out that some how was able to pick up the cards once set down on them. Not sure this is true or not about the box, as it would be just as easy to quickly pick the cards up while he was engaged with another prospective customer.

xcgrammer
08-04-2013, 11:59 AM
The promoter of the show, who spoke at the dinner Friday said they have 40 undercover security people at this years show. This just really sucks period, I hate to hear about this.