PDA

View Full Version : Yu Darvish has 8 K's thru 3 innings

Shoeless Moe
08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I know I know, but wow!!!!!

Sean
08-01-2013, 06:10 PM
And zero walks. :eek:

Hey Paul, quick trivia question: R Johnson,Kerry Wood and R Clemens twice struck out 20 in a game. How many walks did each of them allow?

Shoeless Moe
08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
And zero walks. :eek:

Hey Paul, quick trivia question: R Johnson,Kerry Wood and R Clemens twice struck out 20 in a game. How many walks did each of them allow?

I have no idea, but would guess zero

Shoeless Moe
08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
10 K's thru 4.....can he get 20?

Sean
08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Correct, none of them walked a batter.

Now Yu has 10 Ks through 4 innings. But 71 pitches.

Shoeless Moe
08-01-2013, 06:22 PM
he threw 130 pitches earlier this year.....and was a machine in Japan.

MVSNYC
08-01-2013, 06:23 PM
The last few seasons he's been huge for my fantasy team.

the 'stache
08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Correct, none of them walked a batter.

Now Yu has 10 Ks through 4 innings. But 71 pitches.

Oh hell, Sean. I'm watching "the Ghosts of Flatbush" right now. Do I stop, and put on the Rangers game, or watch Bobby Thompson hit the shot heard 'round the world, sending Brooklyn fans home disappointed again?

It is this kind of conundrum that has plagued baseball fans since the advent of television. :D

Ok, Yu. Here I come.

Sean
08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
14 K's through 6th.

Texxxx
08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
14 after 6 innings. He could get the 20. My guess is 18 though.

Sean
08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
he threw 130 pitches earlier this year.....and was a machine in Japan.

Yeah, but remember that pitchers in Japan only pitch once a week, not every 5th day like here.

Sean
08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Oh hell, Sean. I'm watching "the Ghosts of Flatbush" right now. Do I stop, and put on the Rangers game, or watch Bobby Thompson hit the shot heard 'round the world, sending Brooklyn fans home disappointed again?

It is this kind of conundrum that has plagued baseball fans since the advent of television. :D

Ok, Yu. Here I come.

Bill, when you watch the 9th inning, watch Don Mueller's at bat. With a man on 1st, no one out, and a three run lead, Hodges is holding the runner on first. Why? His run is irrelevant.

And Mueller hits the ball 6 inches out of Hodges' reach. I don't know if it was Hodges fault or Dressen's, but the Dodgers could have gotten out of the inning without Thomson's homer if not for a mental mistake.

the 'stache
08-01-2013, 07:00 PM
It's hotter than hell here today, too (100 currently in Arlington). I imagine that the medical staff is working hard to keep Yu (and the other players) hydrated. But no matter what they do, you've got to think the heat is going to affect his fatigue level.

Yu's at 14 through 6. Can he strike out 7 of the last nine?

the 'stache
08-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Bill, when you watch the 9th inning, watch Don Mueller's at bat. With a man on 1st, no one out, and a three run lead, Hodges is holding the runner on first. Why? His run is irrelevant.

And Mueller hits the ball 6 inches out of Hodges' reach. I don't know if it was Hodges fault or Dressen's, but the Dodgers could have gotten out of the inning without Thomson's homer if not for a mental mistake.

I'll look out for that, Sean. It seems Gil had a couple of real rough patches in the World Series. In the '52 series against the Yankees, he was 0-21 at the plate. Ouch. The way I look at it, though, the Dodgers wouldn't have been there in the first place without his play during the regular season. I know when I see interviews of Ted Williams talking about how terrible he was in the '46 World Series, I wish I could tell him "hey, Ted, you are the reason the Sox even got there in the first place".

In the last couple of years (just before i started collecting again), I developed an affinity for Dem Bums, and their fans. How wonderful it must have been living in Brooklyn as a Dodgers fan, and knowing all the players lived there, too. Walking to Ebbets Field, seeing Duke Snider or Pee Wee Reese walking to the ballpark, saying hi to them on the way.

itjclarke
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
With a man on 1st, no one out, and a three run lead, Hodges is holding the runner on first. Why? His run is irrelevant.

I've gotta think most managers/1st baseman would hold the runner in that situation, unless maybe he was a guy like Willie Stargell or the pitcher. With fewer than 2 outs, you'd want to keep that guy on first to preserve a double play.. you're also then by default guarding the line against an extra base hit (more applicable if it was a 1 or 2 run game). As an old first sacker, I know I'd be holding him unless told otherwise. I may be wrong.. maybe thinking has changed??

JUST SEEING- he ended up with 14 K's. 20 is an amazing feat and I can't believe it's happened 4 times in my lifetime.

mr2686
08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I'll look out for that, Sean. It seems Gil had a couple of real rough patches in the World Series. In the '52 series against the Yankees, he was 0-21 at the plate. Ouch. The way I look at it, though, the Dodgers wouldn't have been there in the first place without his play during the regular season. I know when I see interviews of Ted Williams talking about how terrible he was in the '46 World Series, I wish I could tell him "hey, Ted, you are the reason the Sox even got there in the first place".

In the last couple of years (just before i started collecting again), I developed an affinity for Dem Bums, and their fans. How wonderful it must have been living in Brooklyn as a Dodgers fan, and knowing all the players lived there, too. Walking to Ebbets Field, seeing Duke Snider or Pee Wee Reese walking to the ballpark, saying hi to them on the way.

Going back to Hodges 0-21 in the 52 series, I blame the Dodger coaches for that. I've seen lots of Hodges AB's from that series and he had a VERY open stance at the plate. They were throwing him curves low and away and he couldn't touch them. A couple of adjustments would have helped and with a few hits from him they could have won that series. It wasn't until later the next season that he came out of the slump finally and you can see his stance was much more closed.

kmac32
08-02-2013, 12:54 AM
14 strike out. Not bad but no record.