PDA

View Full Version : 1987 88 Red Rooster Calgary Flames Set

cardsfan73
07-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Hello all! I am trying to re-build my hockey collection of St. Louis Blues players and came across the 1987-88 Red Rooster Flames set that contains a Brett Hull card. I am not familiar with this set at all and was wondering if anyone could give me some information on it?

Thanks for your time,

Scott

Writehooks
07-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Hi Scott:
Your Hull card is from a regional set. Red Rooster was a chain of convenience stores in Alberta from the late '70s through the early '90s. Beginning around 1984, for about six years the company issued annual card sets of the Edmonton Oilers (northern half of the province) and the Calgary Flames (southern half.) Throughout the hockey season Red Rooster customers could collect the "card of the week" free at participating outlets. At the end of the season you could also buy the complete team set, which was issued on three or four perforated sheets and included multiple copies of some players and coaches. Some collectors rank the Hull RR as his true rookie card since it was his first NHL issue. These cards are on thin stock and very difficult to find in NRMT-MT condition, but are highly prized when you can find them. BTW, the most valuable of the all the RR cards is the so-called "Gretzky long-hair" (I think it was 1985) which was withdrawn from circulation and then reissued after The Great One got his flowing locks trimmed.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

cardsfan73
07-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the information, it is greatly appreciated. Has there been any issues with counterfeits or reproductions of the Calgary Hull card?