PDA

View Full Version : Latest Hauls of Shame Post

Rich Klein
07-28-2013, 10:32 AM
http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=22852#more-22852

A couple things; Peter makes mention of Leon's past. Unlike Mr. Nash, Leon freely admits to his mistakes as a younger man and I don't think anyone on this board thinks any less of him. Three words very appropriate for Mr. Nash: POT, KETTLE, BLACK

Rich

Leon
07-28-2013, 10:45 AM
It's been mentioned many times. I have a drug conviction from the mid 1980s. I am not proud of it. I learned and it never happened again. In life you live and learn...but some like Nash, never learn.

Cardboard Junkie
07-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Nobody's perfect, we all made mistakes, I would probably "take the cake" around here, just never got caught. Dave.

Deertick
07-28-2013, 10:54 AM
It's been mentioned many times. I have a drug conviction from the mid 1980s. I am not proud of it. I learned and it never happened again. In life you live and learn...but some like Nash, never learn.

At least he refers to you as an EX-felon. :rolleyes:

Sean1125
07-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Nobody's perfect, we all made mistakes, I would probably "take the cake" around here, just never got caught. Dave.

;)

HRBAKER
07-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Some folks own their mistakes, others well.................
FWIW I thought he chose a good picture of you!

Cheap shot and in character.

Section103
07-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Im sure Leon hasn't been waiting his whole life on my validation, but I couldn't really care less about something like this. There are people doing truly bad things in this world; hurting other people. Ultimately, drugs are a personal issue that we like to get into other people's business about because it's a sick sort of fun for some.

Kawika
07-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Wasn't like Leon ran a supertanker full of cocaine from South America into Corpus Christi. Busted for flirting with Maryjane. There but for the grace of God go I and half the population of the United States. Extremely gratuitous cheapshot by Nash.

sago
07-28-2013, 12:11 PM
The Coaches Corner of blogs. Looking for a guest blog post by Scott Elkins soon.

Al C.risafulli
07-28-2013, 12:39 PM
The article makes reference to REA as being Net54's biggest advertiser.

If I'm not mistaken, is REA not an advertiser here at all?

Flubs like that would make me question the veracity of everything on that site, if I wasn't doing that already. That seems like a pretty easy fact to check. If that one isn't being checked, how many others aren't?

-Al

Leon
07-28-2013, 12:48 PM

Flubs like that would make me question the veracity of everything on that site, if I wasn't doing that already. That seems like a pretty easy fact to check. If that one isn't being checked, how many others aren't?

-Al

Rob Lifson does have banner ads on this site and is certainly an advertiser. His ads are usually quite prevalent. I appreciate his patronage as I do all of the advertisers.

Peter_Spaeth
07-28-2013, 12:50 PM
REA has a banner ad even as we speak.

sports-rings
07-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm really sorry to hear Nash is now trashing Leon too.

I had asked Peter to come on and reply when Leon wrote the post about Nash recently. Although Nash feels it's ok to twist things and call out others, Nash won't ever address his many many shady dealings.

Peter, am I next? I did cheat, in grade school, so you can refer to me as a cheater. But unlike you, I do pay my taxes, and have never stolen anything.

wonkaticket
07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Leon look on the bright side at least you can step foot in all states without being arrested for outstanding warrants can Pete do the same? :D

wonkaticket
07-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Wasn't like Leon ran a supertanker full of cocaine from South America into Corpus Christi.

You don't know Leon very well. The list goes like this...Escobar, Luckey ,Noriega and so on.

tschock
07-28-2013, 02:58 PM
The most shocking Leon related revelation in this piece is that Leon's middle name is Rantz. :eek:

Leon
07-28-2013, 03:10 PM
The most shocking Leon related revelation in this piece is that Leon's middle name is Rantz. :eek:

It's my maternal grandparents (RIP) last name and there are no more of them to carry the name on. I think that's why my parents did it but I kind of like it.

mybuddyinc
07-28-2013, 03:35 PM
"I don’t care what you say about me, just spell my name right” — P.T. Barnum

:)

the 'stache
07-28-2013, 03:51 PM
If ever the idiom "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" were apropos, it certainly applies to the sanctimonious Mr. Nash.

Leon
07-28-2013, 03:54 PM
If ever the idiom "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" were apropos, it certainly applies to the sanctimonious Mr. Nash.

However, in fairness to him I did start a thread on the autograph side concerning him which wasn't very flattering. That being said he really should get his house in order before he tries to clean other houses. That's just my opinion .....and yes, of course, some of what he says is true, no doubt.

jdeptula
07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
I've been hanging around BST for a while and I hardly post here but this one seems odd. So Nash is trashing Leon for owning an Internet forum where someone else posted a question about something that might have been stolen??? Is that his argument??? Really??? Seems like a bit of a reach. That's like blaming Steve jobs for what I'm typing now because I'm using an iPhone.

Sounds like it was a slow news day over at hauls of shame.

Joe

Matthew H
07-28-2013, 04:44 PM
...our hobbies very own "National Inquirer" tabloid.

Wow Leon, a felony for weed?! I'd rather not live in a state where that's possible.

CW
07-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Wow, what a sad and desperate attempt by Nash to somewho get back at Leon. How pathetic.

At least Leon isn't hypocritical enough to start up a website called "Hauls of Ganja".

€hû¢k Wölƒƒ

Exhibitman
07-28-2013, 04:54 PM
What a tool. Nash, not Leon, of course.

Leon
07-28-2013, 05:30 PM
...our hobbies very own "National Inquirer" tabloid.

Wow Leon, a felony for weed?! I'd rather not live in a state where that's possible.

To be clear it wasn't weed. It was pills. I was selling them and I was completely in the wrong and got what I deserved for doing it. Personally I don't even like pills. It was to make money. I am so glad I got caught and got out of it.

Buythatcard
07-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey Leon,

It was in the past. You paid your dues.

As far as I am concerned, it makes no difference to me. We are here to talk about baseball cards.

We got your back here at the Forum.

Leon
07-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Hey Leon,

As far as I am concerned, it makes no difference to me. We are here to talk about baseball cards.

Thanks Howie. I prefer to focus on good things and not be defined by bad ones, as Peter Nash is. I agree, we are here to talk cards!!

http://luckeycards.com/pe224type2hooper.jpg

Kawika
07-28-2013, 06:14 PM
To be clear it wasn't weed. It was pills.
Sorry, Leon. Thought it was pakalolo. Either way, Nash's reference to your past is totally irrelevant to whatever point he was trying to make and only lessens his credibiity.

David R
07-28-2013, 06:41 PM

-Al

The other allegations made about REA with respect to the Spalding collection are more troubling. Are those true?

earlywynnfan
07-28-2013, 06:44 PM
I have to wonder: where will Travis post first: here or on HOS?

wonkaticket
07-28-2013, 06:51 PM
I’m just amazed folks still listen to this guy as much public record stuff is out there on him, and as many unsavory acts that he has been tied too. The fact that folks tune in to hear about fraud from a fraudster is mind boggling. I must be in the minority on this but it’s mind boggling.

Sean1125
07-28-2013, 07:07 PM
I’m just amazed folks still listen to this guy as much public record stuff is out there on him, and as many unsavory acts that he has been tied too. The fact that folks tune in to hear about fraud from a fraudster is mind boggling. I must be in the minority on this but it’s mind boggling.

Just because he has a website doesn't mean people listen to him. I would be interested to see how much traffic hits the website that thinks negatively of him because he does nothing but shit talk.

the 'stache
07-28-2013, 07:11 PM

I agree with you John. But I must admit, as a relative neophyte when it comes to vintage and pre-war baseball cards, I wouldn't have known anything about the guy if I hadn't read it here. Oh, I'm sure after reading some of his articles, I'd have delved into his background (I, too, look to ascertain the veracity of information I see, and the character of the person saying it). That's just how I've been programmed to think (question everything, the mantra of a broker in the post 9/11 world). And referencing what was said here earlier, there could be a lot of people heavily involved in our niche of the hobby that do not read a forum like Net 54 or CU. Those people might just accept what he writes at face value. It is an unfortunate reality in America today. Too many look at words on the internet, and accept them as the Bible.

I wish more people would openly question what they read. The impartiality we could count on back in the days of Walter Cronkite is gone forever. Now, far too often, when something is written, it's done with an agenda.

HRBAKER
07-28-2013, 07:13 PM
I think the deserved notion that the hobby is rife with misdeeds makes people curious regardless of the source.

ThoseBackPages
07-28-2013, 07:19 PM
This thread has raised my respect level for Leon.

More power to you Sir for turning it around

slidekellyslide
07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=22852#more-22852

A couple things; Peter makes mention of Leon's past. Unlike Mr. Nash, Leon freely admits to his mistakes as a younger man and I don't think anyone on this board thinks any less of him. Three words very appropriate for Mr. Nash: POT, KETTLE, BLACK

Rich

When will Vanilla Ice wannabe Peter Nash write about the Cooperstown forger, the fake trophy balls, and the items loaned to him that ended up in an auction?

HRBAKER
07-28-2013, 07:38 PM
When will Vanilla Ice wannabe Peter Nash write about the Cooperstown forger, the fake trophy balls, and the items loaned to him that ended up in an auction?

When pigs fly, we're waiting.

earlywynnfan
07-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I posted that exact question at 8:45 tonight. Didn't take long for it to disappear!

Ken

Fred
07-28-2013, 08:43 PM
omg - Leon had troubles in his past about 25 years ago? Who'd have thought that? :confused:

Seriously, I'm going to guess Leon was a young man around that time and I'm going to guess that he's learned from his past because he's been nothing short of a stand up person for the time I've been involved with these vintage boards.

Leon, really sorry to see that garbage. You just keep on being LL because this vintage BB card world is much better with you in it. Thanks for all you've done.

If Nash didn't have a credibility issue before, he sure has one now. Oh yeah, one more thing "phuc Nash..."

ZenPop
07-28-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm a complete neophyte for these kinds of "inside baseball" (so to speak) topics... but just having seen the way Leon handles himself in every thread I've seen him comment on, he's been outstanding.

This thread just confirms it for me... dealing with everything in a straight up way... good on you, Leon. My respect level has even gone higher.

Zach Wheat
07-28-2013, 10:44 PM

I agree Wonka but I don't think you are in the minority.

Z Wheat

the 'stache
07-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Leon, really sorry to see that garbage. You just keep on being LL because this vintage BB card world is much better with you in it. Thanks for all you've done.

/ bangs on table in agreement.

Rickyy
07-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Why don't he post about himself in the haul of shame? Then I'd have more respect for him and his articles.

Ricky Y

sports-rings
07-29-2013, 04:15 AM
//http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/strikeo_at_old_haul_game_jqneJoyFGd470FMBqrZnEO (www.nypost.com/p/news/local/strikeo_at_old_haul_game_jqneJoyFGd470FMBqrZnEO)

NY Post has a story this morning about the NY Public Library fighting to retrieve their missing items.

The article was written by KATE BRIQUELET and quotes "memorabilia blogger Peter Nash".

She too uses phrases such as "Sources familiar with the probe" without naming any names. I get the feeling she did minimal if any research, and just took much of the information from Peter Nash's blog.

I wonder if she knows or cares about Peter Nash's past?

kcohen
07-29-2013, 04:59 AM
I would have been proud to be a member of the Rantz Luckey Gang.

Leon,

Sorry I won't be seeing you and Scott at the National this year. Hopefully next. Though I won't be able to partake this year, your efforts in organizing and hosting the Net54 dinner are much appreciated. Regards,

Ken

Mark
07-29-2013, 06:13 AM
Leon, with all the money changing hands and all the shady things that have happened in the card/memorabilia business, there are sure to be accusations, smears, and insults thrown at prominent people. If this is all that he has on you, or on Rob Lifson, then, in my opinion, you are doing pretty damn well.

wonkaticket
07-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Here’s the other thing about Nash that just amazes me. He’s so freaking transparent how do people not see this? He tries so hard to come off as sophisticated, intelligent and caring in regards to the hobby.

However anyone who knows anything about Peter Nash or takes the time to read what is public information can see he is nothing more than a man with a list of legal problems, tax problems and outstanding arrest warrants.

It’s so painfully clear what Nash’s motives are. The whole site is nothing more than a smoke screen to make himself feel better and to draw attention away from his very public issues. He attempts to do this by writing these long drawn out articles in which he drops every name under the sun from Obama, Selig, Lifson, Halper to now other forum owners woven into these Oliver Stone type plots of corruption and espionage.

When he attacks say Barry Halper which he waited until the man was dead to by the way. I can’t help but laugh as he points out “everything seems to lead back to Halper” no kidding the man amassed one of if not the biggest baseball memorabilia collections ever. He was a high profile very public wealthy collector with an appetite for the stuff…hell Pete would have been selling him stuff along with perhaps a few “special” Pete Nash items if he had the chance. Who knows may be he did?

If anything I see Peter Nash wanting to be a Halper, wanting to hang with Halper, drop Halper’s name around town etc. now years later Halper is just another victim in the smear campaign of a man with an agenda hiding from his woes in cyberspace.

Did Halper have stuff that was questionable sadly no doubt. I also think many of us would have had bad items had we built and acquired a collection of that size. In fact Halper would have been and was a big target for the unsavory of the world to work their trade.

The one thing Mr. Nash has in common with Halper is many items seem to come back to Halper…well just as many seem to come back to Nash. Yet strangely that Hauls of Shame article is not posted. Why because in the end the man who’s ridding into town on his white stead to save the hobby is nothing more than a two bit huckster himself. Sort of funny that “Prime Minister Pete Nice” who adopted years of a tough guy persona in a rap band turns out to be an internet dingus. Seems Pete isn’t kicking anyone in the “grill” these days he’s hiding like a little girl spreading rumors and innuendo afraid of being kicked in his.

To me the only thing worse than a criminal is a criminal who pretends to be the law.

I eagerly await Peter Nash’s coming clean the day that happens I will personally ride along with him to help clean this hobby I love up. With that said I think I can keep my schedule pretty open because I don’t see Pete ever coming clean.

CharleyBrown
07-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Here’s the other thing about Nash that just amazes me. He’s so freaking transparent how do people not see this? He tries so hard to come off as sophisticated, intelligent and caring in regards to the hobby.

However anyone who knows anything about Peter Nash or takes the time to read what is public information can see he is nothing more than a man with a list of legal problems, tax problems and outstanding arrest warrants.

It’s so painfully clear what Nash’s motives are. The whole site is nothing more than a smoke screen to make himself feel better and to draw attention away from his very public issues. He attempts to do this by writing these long drawn out articles in which he drops every name under the sun from Obama, Selig, Lifson, Halper to now other forum owners woven into these Oliver Stone type plots of corruption and espionage.

When he attacks say Barry Halper which he waited until the man was dead to by the way. I can’t help but laugh as he points out “everything seems to lead back to Halper” no kidding the man amassed one of if not the biggest baseball memorabilia collection ever. He was a high profile very public wealthy collector with an appetite for the stuff…hell Pete would have been selling him stuff along with perhaps a few “special” Pete Nash items if he had the chance. Who knows may be he did?

If anything I see Peter Nash wanting to be a Halper, wanting to hang with Halper, drop Halper’s name around town etc. now years later Halper is just another victim in the smear campaign of a man with an agenda hiding from his woes in cyberspace.

Did Halper have stuff that was questionable sadly no doubt. I also think many of us would have had bad items had we built and acquired a collection of that size. In fact Halper would have been and was a big target for the unsavory of the world to work their trade.

The one thing Mr. Nash has in common with Halper is many items seem to come back to Halper…well just as many seem to come back to Nash. Yet strangely that Hauls of Shame article is not posted. Why because in the end the man who’s ridding into town on his white stead to save the hobby is nothing more than a two bit huckster himself. Sort of funny that “Prime Minister Pete Nice” who adopted years of a tough guy persona in a rap band turns out to be an internet dingus. Seems Pete isn’t kicking anyone in the “grill” these days he’s hiding like a little girl spreading rumors and innuendo afraid of being kicked in his.

To me the only thing worse than a criminal is a criminal who pretends to be the law.

I eagerly await Peter Nash’s coming clean the day that happens I will personally ride along with him to help clean this hobby I love up. With that said I think I can keep my schedule pretty open because I don’t see Pete ever coming clean.

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself!

slidekellyslide
07-29-2013, 09:16 AM

When he attacks say Barry Halper which he waited until the man was dead to by the way. I can’t help but laugh as he points out “everything seems to lead back to Halper” no kidding the man amassed one of if not the biggest baseball memorabilia collection ever. He was a high profile very public wealthy collector with an appetite for the stuff…hell Pete would have been selling him stuff along with perhaps a few “special” Pete Nash items if he had the chance. Who knows may be he did?

This should be posted on the autograph forum...most of his Net54 fans hang out in there.

MooseDog
07-29-2013, 09:55 AM
This should be posted on the autograph forum...most of his Net54 fans hang out in there.

Please don't...we're quite aware of Nash over there and he's been discussed ad naseum.

We have enough drama amongst ourselves. ;)

WhenItWasAHobby
07-29-2013, 10:04 AM
It's very sad that Nash had to resort to such shameless tactics that have no relevance to the topic at hand.

I've had countless dealings with people in this hobby the past 20+ years and I have to say that Leon is definitely one of the stand-up guys I've dealt with and he's without question one of the people I'd want in my foxhole when the going gets tough.

In contrast, it seems so unfair that Leon had to go through this public attention yet there are a plenty of scam artists in this hobby that have lied and defrauded a lot of collectors out of a significant amount of money and never even so much as been questioned by law enforcement for their nefarious deeds.

mark evans
07-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Just one more comment in support of Leon: a class act and a tribute to the hobby.

Mark

Runscott
07-29-2013, 10:31 AM

You aren't in the minority. I used to visit his site for entertainment value, but
after his shot at Leon, I will not go there again.

See you all on Wednesday. Hopefully more people here will realize that we are all on the same side, simply by being honest people, and the infighting is ridiculous.

Runscott
07-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Sort of funny that “Prime Minister Pete Nice” who adopted years of a tough guy persona in a rap band turns out to be an internet dingus.

from dingus to internet dingus. That's sort of a progression, right?

the 'stache
07-29-2013, 11:01 AM

John, going back to his days as a hip hop "star", and speaking in their vernacular, I believe he is doing what is referred to as "dropping the knowledge".

pariah1107
07-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Dear Peter Nash,

Please stop.

Disrespectfully, Ty Phelan

oldjudge
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
While I think that Peter's personal vendetta against Rob or Leon or others adds little to the blog's credibility, I still think there are some valid points that are made in there that should not be ignored. A lot of historically significant material that was originally donated to the HOF and the NYPL was stolen and is now circulating in the hobby. Worse still, probably to avoid embarrassment, these institutions appear to be doing little to recover this material. Without their active involvement, law enforcement officials are limited as to what they can do. This is a real problem, the material that can be shown to be museum/library property needs to be returned and those responsible for the thefts need to be prosecuted (if they have not been already). Some serious people like Dorothy Seymour Mills appear on board to get this situation rectified. Maybe the board should take it a little more seriously. Just my two cents.

Cardboard Junkie
07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
While I think that Peter's personal vendetta against Rob or Leon or others adds little to the blog's credibility, I still think there are some valid points that are made in there that should not be ignored. A lot of historically significant material that was originally donated to the HOF and the NYPL was stolen and is now circulating in the hobby. Worse still, probably to avoid embarrassment, these institutions appear to be doing little to recover this material. Without their active involvement, law enforcement officials are limited as to what they can do. This is a real problem, the material that can be shown to be museum/library property needs to be returned and those responsible for the thefts need to be prosecuted (if they have not been already). Some serious people like Dorothy Seymour Mills appear on board to get this situation rectified. Maybe the board should take it a little more seriously. Just my two cents.
ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........(the whales might be listening);)

pariah1107
07-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Credibility is the #1 issue. Peter Nash FABRICATED rare baseball artifacts, lied about it, and is somehow exonerated (in some circles) because he posts a blog about the very thing he participated in.

It's sickening to attack a person who operates an open forum for the betterment of our hobby to advance a personal agenda. He needs psychological help.

I believe people on this board take it VERY SERIOUSLY.

oldjudge
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Ty--do you think the thefts are not problems?

slidekellyslide
07-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Ty--do you think the thefts are not problems?

Yes, they are a problem...so is child abuse and if Casey Anthony was blogging about it she'd be getting crucified. Peter Nash gets what he deserves.

slidekellyslide
07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
. Some serious people like Dorothy Seymour Mills appear on board to get this situation rectified. Maybe the board should take it a little more seriously. Just my two cents.

She probably has no idea of Peter Nash's involvement in fraud. It's not like he writes about it on his blog.

oldjudge
07-29-2013, 05:01 PM
All I said is that the thefts are a problem. A lot of people are unaware of them. If you are aware of them great. End of statement.

slidekellyslide
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
A lot of people here on the board do take it seriously, we just don't take Nash seriously.

murcerfan
07-29-2013, 05:32 PM
wow.

I take it this guy isn't the surprise guest speaker at the net54 national gig.

what a cheap shot.

teetwoohsix
07-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Hey Leon,

+1 As Leon pointed out, he owned up to his mistake and paid his dues. When your time is served, probation or parole completed, you have served your debt to society for the mistake that was made. Putting "ex-felon" in front of his name was juvenile and unnecessary. What was the point?

Someone's panties were in a twist.

Sincerely, Clayton

Kawika
07-30-2013, 02:35 AM
+1 As Leon pointed out, he owned up to his mistake and paid his dues. When your time is served, probation or parole completed, you have served your debt to society for the mistake that was made.
I thought having to moderate Net54 was part of Leon's sentence.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-30-2013, 06:54 AM
I do not know anything about Nash but find his blog entertaining.

sports-rings
07-30-2013, 07:02 AM
I found the blog interesting and entertaining too, until I see how he really turns on people and goes out of his way to make them look guilty and awful when he has a personal vendetta against them.

Some had warned me about him but I was too stupid to listen, until now.

I hope Nash gets put behind bars someday.

AndyG09
07-30-2013, 07:04 AM
On top of being a fraud, MC Serch carried him in 3rd Bass. Sad I knew this guy as "Prime Minister Pete Nice" when I was a freshman in HS. Hard to find much nice about him.

Best,

Andy

ibuysportsephemera
07-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Holy Cow, a thread about Peter Nash and HOS and Travis hasn't posted...what is up with that?

BTW, Leon you are tops in my book, whatever happened in your past is your business, not ours.

slidekellyslide
07-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Holy Cow, a thread about Peter Nash and HOS and Travis hasn't posted...what is up with that?

Nash hasn't told him what to say yet.

Cardboard Junkie
07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Nash hasn't told him what to say yet.

harsh :eek: (but funny)

David R
07-30-2013, 01:16 PM
All I said is that the thefts are a problem. A lot of people are unaware of them. If you are aware of them great. End of statement.

I didn't know anything about Nash, the HOS, or the NYPL thefts until I read this post. Nash seems like he has lots of issues of his own and his mudslinging at Leon seems undeserved and mean-spirited. Leon has done a terrific job running this Board from everything I have seen. The issue that troubled me (and interested me) the most about the HOS article was the NYPL thefts (which I guess were old news to everyone but me). I was also troubled (if it's true) that folks would knowingly buy that stolen stuff and proudly display it here and on other sites. I wasn't aware that had happened (if it really did). I am surprised this post didn't generate more discussion about those issues, but maybe that's all been discussed ad nauseum in the past on here.

Cardboard Junkie
07-30-2013, 01:47 PM
I didn't know anything about Nash, the HOS, or the NYPL thefts until I read this post. Nash seems like he has lots of issues of his own and his mudslinging at Leon seems undeserved and mean-spirited. Leon has done a terrific job running this Board from everything I have seen. The issue that troubled me (and interested me) the most about the HOS article was the NYPL thefts (which I guess were old news to everyone but me). I was also troubled (if it's true) that folks would knowingly buy that stolen stuff and proudly display it here and on other sites. I wasn't aware that had happened (if it really did). I am surprised this post didn't generate more discussion about those issues, but maybe that's all been discussed ad nauseum in the past on here.

It's complicated. I hope that anyone with suspect material in their collections would willingly return the material to the rightful owners. Sad,:( this hobby was so much more fun when this stuff wasn't worth a lot of money. Dave.

baseballart
07-30-2013, 02:36 PM
If anyone is concerned about an item offered being from the NYPL, I suggest they contact the library. When I saw an item on ebay with suspect provenance, I contacted the library and they indicated that it had indeed been properly deaccessioned (surprised they would have done that, but that's what the NYPL said).

The person who responded in 2008 was

Robert J. Vanni
Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
The New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox and Tilden Foundations
Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, New York 10018-2788
tel. (212) 930-0744
fax (212) 391-2503
rvanni@nypl.org

Don't know if he's still there but he indicated the library welcomed such queries.

Max

thetruthisoutthere
07-30-2013, 06:45 PM
For Mr. Nash to insert Leon's past in that context was way below the belt.

Shame on you, Mr. Nash.

Travis.......