PDA

View Full Version : Question on Uniforms for Spring Training

thecatspajamas
07-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Quick question (I hope): Is there a general time around which teams began issuing new uniforms to players for spring training rather than having them wear the uniforms from the previous season for spring training and only getting new ones when the regular season started? I'm sure it varied from one club to the next, but am hoping they at least all adopted this practice in the same decade or something for simplicity's sake.

Or is this practice of wearing last season's uniform for spring training still going on? (which would show my complete ignorance in this matter for even bringing it up)

For bonus points and my eternal admiration, I would gladly accept a team-by-team breakdown, but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking.

jerseygary
07-28-2013, 02:33 PM
From my experience researching the 1920's-40's, I've noticed that the regular players wore the previous season's road uniforms during spring training and up until they got home before opening day. The new players usually got issued what ever the clubhouse man had left over so a mixture of different season's worth of duds can be seen. That's why you have to be careful when dating newspaper photos from spring training relying only on uniform styles. Some teams seem to have issued their new uniforms as they barnstormed their way home after breaking camp. Sorry I can't give a more diffinative answer, but there really isn't any.

thecatspajamas
07-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Gary, thank you for the added insight. As you said, there's not a definitive answer, and I didn't really expect one, but that's a better start than I could have hoped for. Much appreciated.