PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on Ted Williams signature

RelicSports
07-27-2013, 11:26 AM
I purchased this a couple years back. This was previously won by the seller in an auction of 3 signed life magazines from a Huggins and Scott lot, and came with an auction LOA from JSA (I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything). I am always skeptical with Teddy Ballgame sigs because of rumors of his son signing his name better than him and also the variations of his T's at times. Any feedback from my fellow Net54er's as to if you think this is legit would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I have a legit Williams in my collection, and if not, go out and find one. Thanks Gents!!

MooseDog
07-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not really a Ted expert, but have seen a lot of them. Often a signature strikes me one way or another on gut feeling (the Malcolm Gladwell "Blink" moment) and in this case I feel highly positive.

shelly
07-27-2013, 02:47 PM
:):):):):):)

mr2686
07-27-2013, 03:18 PM
I'll throw in my "like" vote on this one too.

losjets1984
07-27-2013, 05:00 PM
It's real

Rumor of his son signing for him is BS.

RichardSimon
07-27-2013, 05:22 PM
It's real

Pretty definitive statement for your very first post on Net 54.
Who are you?
Yes, I agree that signature is real but,,,
I saw a number of items which came from Green Diamond (the Williams family company) which I thought could not possibly have been signed by Ted.
The son chopped Ted's head off, signing his autograph is a piece of cake if you have already done that.
Considering the character of his son forging autographs would probably come as second nature to him.
And I have never heard anyone except this new member defend John Henry Williams, the hobby is rife with the rumor that John signed many items.
And sometimes, just sometimes, where there is smoke there is fire.

Leon
07-27-2013, 06:15 PM
It's real

I have no idea about the autograph.

If you are going to give strong opinions your name will need to be by your post. Nothing personal.

RelicSports
07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback all! Makes me feel better about my purchase and not needing to hunt for another Williams sig.

shelly
07-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Rrichard gets a plus one.The only thing about John Henry that was good was his girl

Fuddjcal
07-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback all! Makes me feel better about my purchase and not needing to hunt for another Williams sig.

oh you can still hunt......if your anything like me, you'll need at least 5 balls and 10 pics of Ted:D and BTW, I like the sig as well.

Mr. Zipper
07-28-2013, 11:58 AM
It's real

I have seen the page where Ted signed and John Henry signed "Ted Williams" below the real Ted signature. IMO, the John Henry "Ted Williams" was a crude, slowly drawn imitation. Obviously fake.

But my sense is, this is where the rumors sprung from.

So, unless John Henry REALLY improved over the sheet I saw, I doubt the rumors as well.

RichardSimon
07-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Steve -As I said earlier I have seen some pretty strange looking stuff coming from Green Diamond. I find it hard to believe that Ted signed those.

shelly
07-28-2013, 02:34 PM
There was great improvement in the signiture. The real problem is that he put on that green diamond hologram and bam its real.:mad:

Mr. Zipper
07-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Steve -As I said earlier I have seen some pretty strange looking stuff coming from Green Diamond. I find it hard to believe that Ted signed those.

There certainly are some sloppy looking Green Diamonds... I don't dispute that. But bear in mind they were signed later in life and he seemed to be using a thick marker at that point that created the appearance of a cluttered, smashed together signature.

Maybe John Henry upped his game and some of them are bad... it's within the realm of possibility. But based on the signed sheet I saw, John Henry was not a skilled forger.

:confused:

RichardSimon
07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
The forgers usually get better Steve, we all know that. :(:(