PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

67_Palmer
07-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I've been lurking and posting here for a few months, so I figured I should introduce myself. I'm 42 and have been collecting vintage cards off and on since the early 80's.

When I was 11 or 12, I walked into my first card shop, House of Cards in Wheaton, MD. The store has changed locations a few time, but is still up and running. I just recently learned it has become Huggins & Scott auction house. Since walking in that store all those years ago and seeing all those beautiful cards I've been hooked.

I primarily collect post war, 52' to 75', though there isn't a card printed from the earliest post war issues all the way up to 83' Topps that I wouldn't love to own. My love for vintage cards far out weigh my available time and recourses.

I'm also a huge Oriole fan and religiously watch or listen to 162 games a year.

I love looking at my collection, but a close second is looking at other collections, so thanks for sharing all the great cards and collectibles on this site.

Ken

ullmandds
07-24-2013, 09:03 AM
welcome Ken...I used to live in Bethesda and would frequent House of cards...as well as attend baseball card auctions at the armory near/on spring st in silver spring...picked up a few red hindu t206's on the reasonable at those old auctions...miss those days!!!!

CW
07-24-2013, 09:33 AM
A belated welcome, Ken!

Gmrson
07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Welcome Ken! Did you used to go to Wayne Miller's Columbia show in the 80's? It was a fun show with lots of really nice people. I always looked forward to going from Michigan.

Jewish-collector
07-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Welcome Ken !!!

I, too, used to go to House of Cards weekly if not more often when they had the retail store on University Boulevard in Wheaton. First across the street, then where they were before they closed. Once they moved to that 2nd location, they had a huge store, then they lost a lot of their space, so it was really a narrow store before they closed up entirely.

Of course, I used to go to the shows at the Silver Spring Armory as well as Wayne Miller's Columbia shows. Those Columbia shows were actually a small version of the Philly show as many of the big time dealers did both shows at that time.

Miss those days...

67_Palmer
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I did go to the Armory shows and I also went to the shows at Columbia Mall, not sure if those were run by Wayne Miller.

I learned a very important lesson at that first House of Cards on University Blvd. Never let direct sunlight shine on my cards. If you remember they had the store front windows covered from floor to ceiling with cards. By the time they moved across the street, the cards were bleached almost completely white. :)

mrvster
07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Welcome our friend! great to have ya:)

peace

johnny

ethicsprof
07-24-2013, 08:33 PM
welcome aboard the board!!!
all the best,
barry

the 'stache
07-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I did see you post on the "most cherished" discussion, but it did not register to me that you were a newer member of the forum. So, welcome aboard, Ken!

I just learned an interesting tidbit the other night (I'm sure you know this already). The New York Yankees were originally established as the Baltimore Orioles (before becoming the Highlanders, then the Bronx Bombers we know today). Of course, there's no affiliation to the modern day Orioles. Your franchise were originally established as the Milwaukee Brewers, where they played from 1894-1901.

It's a small world, isn't it?

Orioles1954
07-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Great screen name! The Baltimore Orioles have never been to a World Series without Jim Palmer on their roster. From 1960-1985 the O's had the best record in baseball with 1967 being their only losing season. I guess that's my way of welcoming a fellow Orioles fan. As a young boy, I was hopelessly and totally hooked to those Columbia Mall and Wayne Miller/Hilton shows. House of Cards is still around and Huggins & Scott is doing well. I should know :) All of our employees are die-hard Baltimore fans. Welcome again!