PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Rookie Signed Roger Maris Autograph

JimStinson
07-24-2013, 06:55 AM
I always like to have date specific autographs on file for examples especially those signed early in the players career. Wanted to share this one with the board. Its from a date specific autograph book in which all of the signatures were obtained in-person in 1957

This one was signed by a then 23 year old kid named Roger Maris playing his first major league season with Cleveland. Similar but different from those he would sign later in his life.

Jim Stinson BUYING baseball autographs
stinsonsports.com

r2678
07-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Do you think he was walking when he signed it?

JimStinson
07-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Do you think he was walking when he signed it?

Yes, and probably chewing gum both at the same time..

I BUY BASEBALL AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com

HRBAKER
07-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Jim,
Did he ever sign with his real last name "Maras?"

Duluth Eskimo
07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
I seem to remember seeing at least one item signed "Maras" from his days with his Fargo team. Very rare though.

JimStinson
07-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Jim,

Yes he did but as Jason pointed out , pretty darn rare ! To the best of my knowledge he stopped signing that way by the time he reached the major leagues. he didn't like the way people pronounced it like MARE-ASS , so he opted for the variation.

Pete Whisenant a former ball player who knew him told me that their nickname for him behind his back was "Red Ass", because of his attitude when he wasn't playing well

I BUY AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com

YogiBerraFan
07-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Great piece!

yanks12025
07-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Jim,

I posted months ago a auction that had Roger Maras autographs from when we was like 12 to 15 years old.