PDA

View Full Version : What's Worse?

slidekellyslide
07-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Knowingly trying to pass forged autographs through JSA?

or

JSA giving a thumbs up to a forgery?

bender07
07-23-2013, 08:30 PM
The intent of the first is undoubtedly to deceive a potential buyer. I go with número UNO. What do I win?

Duluth Eskimo
07-24-2013, 12:33 PM
A knowing act is always worse than a mistake. People always bash these guys for a variety of reasons, but everyone needs to remember it is just an opinion of authenticity, not a guarantee. Knowingly trying to deceive shouldn't even be considered on par with poor work.

HRBAKER
07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Dishonesty is worse than unintentional ineptitude IMO.

slidekellyslide
07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm really hoping to get Travis's take on this question.

HRBAKER
07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
I would add that there is a limit to the amount of ineptitude that is acceptable IMO.

drcy
07-24-2013, 03:27 PM

thetruthisoutthere
07-24-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm really hoping to get Travis's take on this question.

I knew exactly where Dan was heading......

Beautiful.

slidekellyslide
07-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I knew exactly where Dan was heading......

Beautiful.

Heh...even Travis knew where this question was heading...which is why he's once again silent. :D

Exhibitman
07-24-2013, 06:52 PM
I like applesauce

Leon
07-24-2013, 07:29 PM
I like applesauce

and short walks in the rain on an early Sunday morning.

thenavarro
07-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Not nearly enough info given to make a determination in my opinion. The answer for me depends on both intent, and what happens to the "autograph" later. If someone is trying to determine how competent the company is, I've got no problem with them sending a "test" piece or two, either alone or in a bunch of good autographs, in order to see if the authenticator can accurately ferret out the fake. However, if the person does get the graph "passed" and then in turn doesn't destroy it, or deface it, and attempts to pass it on the market, then that is bad IMO. However, if they destroy it, or deface it, I don't have a problem with them having tested JSA (or any TPA or individual for that matter) as long as they paid their submission fee like everyone else.

If JSA gives a thumb up to a forgery, I understand that mistakes occasionally happen, and don't see that in and of itself being inherently bad, as everyone that has been in this industry for any decent length of time, and that actively either buys, sells, or authenticates, has judged wrong on a piece, whether or not they want to admit it or not. Doesn't make you evil to get an opinion wrong, nor does it make you any less of an "expert" to miss every now and then. However, if JSA (or anyone) intentionally says a graph is good, when they KNOW a graph is bad, for whatever reason, then that is obviously bad as well.

Mike

Knowingly trying to pass forged autographs through JSA?

or

JSA giving a thumbs up to a forgery?