PDA

View Full Version : April 8, 1974 (715) Hank Aaron Inscribed Pro Model Bat - help with authentication?

VintageGamerN00b
07-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I have an Aaron A99 signed and dated by him 4/8/74. My cousin dealt memorabilia in the 70s and met Aaron at a show. The story is that he gave Hank a Rogers Hornsby signed photo (because he couldn't charge the home run king), and Aaron in turn gave him this bat. In the story, Aaron went out to his car and brought it back to trade. Said that he used it in batting practice before the game that day. Very, very light use, but his "open 44" in marker on the knob and rack marks.

Does anyone have any idea how I might go about getting this story backed up? I've asked the Braves HOF, but all they could say was that it was an Aaron pro model. And I sent a handwritten letter to Aaron at his Turner Field address, but got no reply from Aaron yet (which is to be expected). Anyone, in the name of a merciful god, have a direct line to Aaron?

Also, has anyone ever seen an Aaron pro model or gamer inscribed with that date?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/dwrubin/HOF%20Game%20Used%20Bats/Hank%20Aaron%20Gamer/photo4.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/dwrubin/HOF%20Game%20Used%20Bats/Hank%20Aaron%20Gamer/photo5.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/dwrubin/HOF%20Game%20Used%20Bats/Hank%20Aaron%20Gamer/photo6.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/dwrubin/HOF%20Game%20Used%20Bats/Hank%20Aaron%20Gamer/photo2.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/dwrubin/HOF%20Game%20Used%20Bats/Hank%20Aaron%20Gamer/photo3.jpg

BigJJ
07-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi Need precise length and precise weight in ounces to begin. Aaron used an A99 model from 1961-1976. Before going through the brandings, would be good to have length and weight. Best J

VintageGamerN00b
07-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. Will get that to you when I get home.

VintageGamerN00b
07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Went back in e-mails and found my correspondence with the Braves museum. Bat is 35" and 33 oz. Here is what one of the Braves Museum appraisers told me, via the Director of the musem:

--------------------------------
the bat is certainly a game bat from 1974 with very light use. No way to prove that he used in bp or any certain game. Usually bp bats show tons of usage and not very light like this. No way to confirm the story. Autograph looks good. Hank could have written the date but it also could have been written by someone else at the time. No way to know for sure. A collector would pay $2500-$3000 for this bat.
I hope this helps.
---------------------------------

It sounds like it was used by Aaron in '74, so it's confirming the story I need help with. I remember hearing that Hank used a bunch of bats that day in batting practice, because he knew there was a good chance he would break the record. Not sure if Hank told my cousin that, or if it's just conjecture, but I've read about his mindset at the time and it does seem like something he would've done. Especially when you see how many bats he was ordering that year.

---------------------------------

From Troy Kinunen: 1974- History Made with a Louisville Slugger

1974 found Hank Aaron about to break the all time homerun record held by Babe Ruth. The bat Hank Aaron chose to pursue this feat was the Louisville Slugger. With the excitement created by the pursuit of the record, souvenir seekers began to request bats from the Hammer. In an unprecedented move, Hank Aaron ordered 116 Louisville Slugger bats during the 1974 season. On 4-24-74 Hank made a special request that was found on the shipping records. He asked for the bats to have no finish applied. 56 unfinished bats were shipped for Hank to use during the 1974 season. As an authenticator, I have noticed that many of the bats from the 1972-75 season are absent of the heavy game use found on bats from earlier in Hank’s career. The amount of bats ordered substantiate these findings as the demand for Aaron bats were high, and Hank was prepared to quickly replace bats as they were being removed from his possession.

Complete 1974 Records:
1974 A99 35” 33 ounce 12 ash bats (WG, mk wts)
1974 A99 35” 33.5 ounce 12 ash bats (WG, mk wts)
1974 A99 35” 33 ounce 36 ash bats (WG, mk wts)
New request found on shipping records:
“DO NOT PUT LACQUER OR TOP COAT ON BARREL END.
FILLER ONLY”
1974 A99 35” 33 ounce 24 ash bats (WG, mk wts)
1974 A99 35” 33 ounce 2 ash bats (All Star Game)
1974 A99 35” 33 ounce 30 ash bats (WG, mk wts)

BigJJ
07-24-2013, 04:03 PM
The "Powerized" brand is 1973 forward (the encircled "R" registration mark over the "d" in "Powerized" distinguishes the brand from earlier versions).
The "Genuine" brand over the signature was used only until 1975.
So from these two attributes, the bat can be dated to 1973-1975.
The model A99, length, 35", and weight, 33 ounces, was issued to Aaron all three years, 1973, 1974, and 1975.
Do you know what finish, if any, the bat has? Might be able to further determine when the bat was ordered if finish is known.
So far the specifications and brandings are consistent with what you were told.
I would have PSA or JSA certify not only the autograph but more importantly, the written date.
Also, Aaron should remember the story of the Rogers Hornsby trade for the bat. You actually might be able to have him write a letter, perhaps not in front of a notary, Im cracking up, but you could then get his letter authenticated by PSA or JSA.
In the interim, you may wish to get a -notarized- statement from your cousin. I am not sure what weight this notarized statement would carry, but it is better than no notarized statement. and if PSA or JSA determines that Aaron wrote the "715" and the date on the bat, this in conjunction with your cousin's notarized letter, might have some weight.
Aaron ordered 116 bats in 1974. and 98 in 1973. and 108 in 1975.
Really need the finish to better pinpoint date of the order this bat was in (and number) to better determine odds of it being used in the manner and time described - and/or need Aaron statement, which -is- still possible, can talk to his representative, can get in touch through a company arranging a signing.
Best of luck.