PDA

View Full Version : Caution -- Ebay Second Chance Offer

Bestdj777
07-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Good morning,

I just received an incredibly disturbing email this morning from "eBay." I'd made an offer on a card, but it ended up selling to someone else. Anyway, I received an email this morning offering me a second chance to purchase the item. The email was identical in format to those I've received from eBay. The scary part is that it told me exactly what offer I made on the card and offered it to me at the same price.

Three things identified this as a scam, or I could have been taken for a lot of money:
1. The email address was not from eBay;
2. The link to the card didn't' work
3. The email said: "to complete this purchase, please follow the link or email the seller at ____."

The last was key as eBay would never have me contact a seller directly. It is scary though that someone obtained my bidding history. Any idea how that happened?

Thanks,

Chris

tigerfan
07-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Same thing happened to me about six months ago. Except I clicked on the link and was given directions to wire money to a bank in Eastern Europe. I contacted eBay about it, but I got a template answer.

I also was really disturbed that someone had my bid history.

Bestdj777
07-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Same thing happened to me about six months ago. Except I clicked on the link and was given directions to wire money to a bank in Eastern Europe. I contacted eBay about it, but I got a template answer.

I also was really disturbed that someone had my bid history.

I think I remember you posting about this? One of the reasons I was skeptical about it. Do you remember the seller's name?

pawpawdiv9
07-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I think I remember you posting about this? One of the reasons I was skeptical about it. Do you remember the seller's name?

That is scary.i remeber getting one long time ago..i always trash them.
If i didnt get the item..i just move on.
You may need to update your security such as Java..i just updated to version 25. Also this may help..clear macromedia - website storage settings
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

pepis
07-22-2013, 01:32 AM
IT is pretty simple! all EBAY transactions go through MY EBAY if you get a
second chance offer you go to MY EBAY if is not there, then is not real,
always go to MY EBAY to verify any EBAY related transactions, it is that simple!

Bestdj777
07-22-2013, 05:32 AM
IT is pretty simple! all EBAY transactions go through MY EBAY if you get a
second chance offer you go to MY EBAY if is not there, then is not real,
always go to MY EBAY to verify any EBAY related transactions, it is that simple!

Yes, it is that simple. However, it is pretty disconcerting that someone, or some virus, knew exactly what offer I made on this item.

tigerfan
07-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Yes, it is that simple. However, it is pretty disconcerting that someone, or some virus, knew exactly what offer I made on this item.

That's what scared me also. It was pretty obvious it was fraudulent, but the fact that someone (something?) knew what I bid was disappointing. That is why I thought eBay should have done more than give me a stock answer. It would seem that they have some liability here.

I was hoping maybe they had fixed something, but the recent experience above suggest that they have not.

CW
07-22-2013, 09:39 AM
It sucks that this is still happening. For more info, check out a previous thread here. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166482)

Bestdj777
07-22-2013, 08:23 PM
It sucks that this is still happening. For more info, check out a previous thread here. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166482)

Thanks for sharing. I knew I remembered reading it. The email I received was the exact same thing. Shocking it is still going on.