PDA

View Full Version : Old Louisville slugger

mitleth
07-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Hey guys. Saw this on eBay. Can someone with more expertise than me help me figure out the bat's age? Can't seem to find much on Louisville bats with the "Patent" printed on it in this manner. Thanks!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=161068486913

P.S. I am posting this from my iPhone and don't have access to a regular eBay URL...this is a mobile URL. I apologize.

The auction title is "Very Early Patent Hillerich and Bradsby Louisville slugger bat"

bigtrain
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
I am not a bat expert but having once worked at the patent office, I know their website. This is a 1902 patent date and the labeling JF Hillerich & Sons was used until about 1911 I believe.

mitleth
07-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah, based on the hillerich logo I gathered it was from that time frame. I have another bat that has the same logo but not the patent on the barrel. Just wondering if that was the norm or if its possible mine is a fake or something. Thanks for the info on the patent number! Is that common knowledge? Is there a way to pick out the year easily? Wouldn't mind having that in my mind when looking at things I see. Thanks.

bigtrain
07-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Go to the US Patent Office website and you will find a feature that allows you to search by patent number. www.uspto.gov

MGHPro
07-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Yours isn't fake without the patent. It could be a blank barrel or possibly was issued with a decal that is gone
Matt

mitleth
07-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys! Matt, I figured there were decal bats from this era, but there were also blank barrels and ones with the patent?

khkco4bls
07-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Here is mine. Early reverse label. Have to hold the bat the opposite way. Period nails on both sides of barrel.

MGHPro
07-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes and Yes..more blanks than ones with the patent logo

Thanks guys! Matt, I figured there were decal bats from this era, but there were also blank barrels and ones with the patent?

Bucktooth Kid
07-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I found this site, seems like an easy way to date Louisville slugger bats.

http://keymancollectibles.com/Louisvilleslugger.htm