PDA

View Full Version : CSA grading Question on Mathewson

hoshua4710
07-19-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-M116-CHRISTY-MATHEWSON-CSA-8-100-yrs-old-Legendary-HOF-1st-5-member-/251307475426?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a8317c1e2

I hardly ever see anything by CSA. Are they sketchy? Is a CSA 8 the same as a PSA, SGC or BVG 8? If it is the same, this card could probably be talked down, cracked out, and regraded for a pretty good bargain. Other M116 PSA 8 Mathewson's ive seen have sold for quite a bit more in auction.

Josh B.

Edwolf1963
07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
My experience w/them is garbage. Nowhere near a cross to same grade on the reputable names. I've had myself and heard of others all coming back trimmed or altered. I'd stay away - if the seller was serious about selling, he'd cross it himself - or probably did under a "no crack out" and was told trimmed, now passing it off - - notice the disclaimer of no guarantee to cross over to the same grade w/another company? Others can give you their take, but I'm not a fan of anything other than the big 3 - even GAI.

wazoo
07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
CSA is not the grading company you want to have encapsulate and grade your cards. They are sketchy. Often times, their "CSA 8's" are PSA/SGC authentic's. Beware.

wazoo
07-19-2013, 08:08 PM
My experience w/them is garbage. Nowhere near a cross to same grade on the reputable names. I've had myself and heard of others all coming back trimmed or altered. I'd stay away - if the seller was serious about selling, he's cross it himself - or probably did under a "no crack out" and was told trimmed, now passing it off. Others can give you their take, but I'm not a fan of anything other than the big 3 - even GAI.

I agree with Ed. Even GAI can be questioned, but I believe their grading is reasonable.

auggiedoggy
07-19-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-M116-CHRISTY-MATHEWSON-CSA-8-100-yrs-old-Legendary-HOF-1st-5-member-/251307475426?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3a8317c1e2

I hardly ever see anything by CSA. Are they sketchy? Is a CSA 8 the same as a PSA, SGC or BVG 8? If it is the same, this card could probably be talked down, cracked out, and regraded for a pretty good bargain. Other M116 PSA 8 Mathewson's ive seen have sold for quite a bit more in auction.

Josh B.

I bought a CSA graded T206 McIntyre card this summer. It was graded a 7. I cracked open the casing and measured it. As suspected, it was trimmed. The good news is that I didn't pay a lot for it, which is why I took a chance on it to begin with. I've heard that it is not unusual to find CSA and GAI graded cards trimmed. Be wary.

p.s. Anyone want a trimmed but otherwise beautiful T206 McIntyre? :rolleyes:

iwantitiwinit
07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
there's a reason it's in a csa holder, there are few bargains out there. Stay far away.

hoshua4710
07-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys, very helpful!

brewing
07-20-2013, 01:54 PM
The old blue inlay CSA holders are on par with GAI. The holders similar to the listing posted are what others have already stated.

CMIZ5290
07-20-2013, 02:52 PM
My experience w/them is garbage. Nowhere near a cross to same grade on the reputable names. I've had myself and heard of others all coming back trimmed or altered. I'd stay away - if the seller was serious about selling, he'd cross it himself - or probably did under a "no crack out" and was told trimmed, now passing it off - - notice the disclaimer of no guarantee to cross over to the same grade w/another company? Others can give you their take, but I'm not a fan of anything other than the big 3 - even GAI.

+1 big time....

CMIZ5290
07-20-2013, 02:58 PM
This is a grading company that preceded SGC, started by same executive, Joe Merkle. Their slabs even look like SGC graded cards. I have heard from several collectors that they successfully crossed high graded cards from this company over to SGC in same, or very close grades. CSA, in my opinion, is along the lines of PRO Graders....