PDA

View Full Version : Is there a possability of latent fading on autographed balls from UV?

markf31
07-18-2013, 10:39 AM
So signatures can fade especially on balls when they're exposed to UV light, that's just common knowledge. My question is this, if a signed ball is obtained that has faded slightly but I secure it away and keep it in the dark, is there any chance the signature continues to fade and get worse from latent UV damage?

I would think that the UV light could possibly alter the leather of the ball itself since it is animal hide which could potentially continue to fade and erode the signature even if its never exposed again to UV light.

Anyone have any thoughts?

drcy
07-18-2013, 11:39 AM
It's possible-- each ink is a different chemical makeup so different and unpredicted things may happen under different conditions, and light can start some chemical reactions--, but most UV collectible damage is during direct light contact only.

mcgwirecom
07-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Just be careful what kind of ball you use. If you have a synthetic ball the signature may fade away no matter what you do! Always pay the extra for the genuine baseballs, you won't be sorry later on.

drcy
07-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I think 99 percent of in-the-dark damage is unrelated to light. Light generally causes damage only while it shines. There's no UV fungus.

But, as the original post was about the 'possibility,' I image there is a possibility in some instances with certain substances.

I'm only talking about light here. Heat and humidity can certainly cause lingering problems, especially fungus. And some inks seem to change and discolor all on their own.

markf31
07-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the comments and insight.

I only really collect vintage ONL and OAL signed balls and they are hard to find with bold signatures, my question came from the fact that if I invest in a ball that contains signatures that have already started to fade, not knowing the conditions the ball had been previously stored in, how those conditions could contribute to the signatures continuing to fade despite my best efforts to store the ball in a "sterile" environment once I obtain the ball.